Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark Knopfler – The Studio Albums 1996-2007  (Read 43512 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Mark Knopfler – The Studio Albums 1996-2007
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2021, 11:48:12 AM »
I wonder if the UK release of the box has the STP version that came out with both Do America and One More Matinee in vinyl, or is just the same stp lp to all countries...

Same with the US box, as STP in the US had Do America but not One more matinee

I got the tracklisting info from universal France, and STP includes Do America both on vinyl and CD :

https://textes-blog-rock-n-roll.fr/un-coffret-des-5-premiers-albums-studio-de-mark-knopfler-le-11-octobre/

If this is for all releases, they opted for the previous UK version worlwide, well done in my opinion!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2021, 11:48:56 AM »
I wonder if the UK release of the box has the STP version that came out with both Do America and One More Matinee in vinyl, or is just the same stp lp to all countries...

Same with the US box, as STP in the US had Do America but not One more matinee

I got the tracklisting info from universal France, and STP includes Do America both on vinyl and CD :

https://textes-blog-rock-n-roll.fr/un-coffret-des-5-premiers-albums-studio-de-mark-knopfler-le-11-octobre/

Thanks for the link. Good to have Do America, if not for the song itself, at least for a complete album.

To be fair, I'm quite happy with all that MK and staff provided for the last 25 years -- and not to mention the DS years : albums, boxes, USB sticks of most recent tours etc.. But there are so many jewels in the pipeline, we all know it, that it's a pity that some of them don't see the light of the day on some occasions like the anniversary of the Golden Heart record.

Love Expresso

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2021, 12:23:18 PM »
That artwork though.

LE

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2021, 12:41:15 PM »
That artwork though.

LE

Or the absence of that :lol Yes, I'm surprised, too. Reminds me of the 2005 "Best Of" compilation, but that one had a Strat. That one has nothing, but I guess that's still better than MK's face like some other compilations... Overall, to find a great cover artwork nowadays is hard, and to find an album with great artwork AND great music is almost impossible.

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2021, 12:43:00 PM »
That artwork though.

LE

Not transcendant but still rather good to me. Very STP-ish in style.

I've just watched the trailer. Surprisingly they didn't choose Done with Bonaparte as snippet for Golden Heart  ;D and no extract from Kill to get crimson  >:(

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2021, 12:44:49 PM »
That artwork though.

LE
Overall, to find a great cover artwork nowadays is hard, and to find an album with great artwork AND great music is almost impossible.

But you can find millions of albums with poor artwork and sh***y music  ;D

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2021, 12:51:41 PM »
Not really sure of the market for this.  Those who have a nostalgia for vinyl who also happen to like Mark's solo career...  That's all. 

This narrow market becomes even narrower when you consider those may not want to buy it when they already own the music in another format and/or resent the fact Knopfler fans are constantly denied anything unreleased or exciting.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2021, 01:09:59 PM »
Not really sure of the market for this.  Those who have a nostalgia for vinyl who also happen to like Mark's solo career...  That's all. 

This narrow market becomes even narrower when you consider those may not want to buy it when they already own the music in another format and/or resent the fact Knopfler fans are constantly denied anything unreleased or exciting.

Probably they base on sales of the DS studio boxes...

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2021, 01:25:22 PM »
Have these sold well?

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2021, 01:26:56 PM »
Have these sold well?

They re-issued the DS studio vinyl box, so I guess they did sold well... And they are releasing this now, so I guess yes, they sold well.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2021, 06:49:06 PM »
I guess this is not the box set we were all hoping for, but the vinyl is good if your wanting them. The b-sides release is also good for me, not everyone would have bought the singles with these songs, so to have them as a mini album is great. I will buy the set as I like to have all the releases. I always buy the album's on CD, I don't care what the year is! I have a fantastic set up with great speakers, still the best way to listen for me.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2021, 07:23:39 PM »
I always buy the album's on CD, I don't care what the year is! I have a fantastic set up with great speakers, still the best way to listen for me.

Me too!   I do have one MK vinyl - Get Lucky, but it's such a nuisance having to turn it over after every few songs - no time to relax and enjoy!  ;)   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2021, 08:22:25 PM »
Nice to finally be able to listen to GH and STP on vinyl! Of course not so nice that I have to buy an entire box set filled with a majority of other titles I already own on vinyl. On the other hand it's great they added a compilation of b-sides. I fully agree with most of you it could be done so much better if they included real unreleased tracks or alternate versions, but let's not complain as the DS box set didn't include nothing like that at all.

Do we know for sure the CD's are also remastered versions? I wouldn't be surprised if they just used the current masters for the CD's.

Another thing: do any you also experience problems with ordering/paying this box in the MK webshop? When I arrive at point of verifying the payment with my credit card the transaction is declined. I contacted my credit card service (ABN AMRO bank / Mastercard) and they told me there is nothing wrong with my card but the MK webshop is dodgy / not to be trusted because they seem not have inplemented double verification or such a kind of security protocol that is internationally mandatory since the start of this year.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2021, 08:24:57 PM »
It's a pity there are no songs from i-Tunes

Early Bird
Time in The Sun
Your Perfect Song
Hot Dog

I know it's after 2007 but there were more great songs on the B side.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 08:27:08 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Love Expresso

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2021, 08:32:32 PM »

Another thing: do any you also experience problems with ordering/paying this box in the MK webshop? When I arrive at point of verifying the payment with my credit card the transaction is declined. I contacted my credit card service (ABN AMRO bank / Mastercard) and they told me there is nothing wrong with my card but the MK webshop is dodgy / not to be trusted because they seem not have inplemented double verification or such a kind of security protocol that is internationally mandatory since the start of this year.

Well at least now there is no doubt that it really is mk.com. Anything else with the smallest idea of professionality would be a clear sign that it is not them.

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 42 queries.