Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark Knopfler & Dire Straits: Whree Do You Think You Are Going?  (Read 2654 times)

OfflineCarmeloLabadie

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
 Hi there, just wondering if the version of this song is the same on communique as it is on the money for nothing compilation albumk. I hear it is not,. what is differernt about it and is it better in your opinion?

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: Mark Knopfler & Dire Straits: Whree Do You Think You Are Going?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 11:57:42 AM »
the version on the MFN comp comes from demos recorded around october-november 78 in London, before their flight to Nassau in december where they recorded the album.

Jerry Wexler said "the album is already donne, whe just have to record it again"

so it means that almost the whole album was recorded in demo version at this time. except the song Communiqué which was composed by Mark in Nassau

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 01:56:14 PM »
Barry Beckett did not play in the demo version of Where Do You Think You Going. But it's also a great version.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflinePeter1981

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 02:20:56 PM »
oh man, i'd love to hear all those Communique demo's; the album has over the years turned into my fave of them all. The songs, buy maybe even more the feel of the record; the in-the-pocket playing, incredibly laid-back but never dragging, the cleanness but not over polished, that clean Fender sound that is both thick ánd crispy, the feel of the drums and fills, the sparseness.
Listening to both versions, even though they sound closes alike, i seem to hear that 'recorded at the Bahamas' laid-back feel in the final record, that the demo lacks.
If only there was movie-footage from those Communique sessions!
Or any sessions, for that matter ;-)

OfflineRivers Of Rain

• Guitar George
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 11:26:40 PM »
Hi there, just wondering if the version of this song is the same on communique as it is on the money for nothing compilation albumk. I hear it is not,. what is differernt about it and is it better in your opinion?

Yes, the version of Where Do You Think You're Going on the Money For Nothing compilation is definitely different from the track on Communiqué. It has been a while since I listened to this version of the song, but the recording sounds a bit more raw (for want of a better word). The most notable differences are on the outro, as I don't think there is any organ part and  think the riff is mixed louder with the guitar solo not as prominent or well developed as on the final version. Overall I think it's a decent version, although I do prefer the album take which is one of my top three from the album - I love the change in tempo and the guitar building in intensity towards the end of the song.

As it happens, my Dad had the Money For Nothing compilation and thus it became my introduction to Dire Straits and Mark's music. As I became a fan myself and started listening to the original albums, I realised a number of the tracks were different from the versions I initially heard. From memory, the other 11 songs on the CD version can be summarised as below:

- Sultans of Swing, Down To The Waterline, Tunnel of Love, Romeo & Juliet and Walk Of Life are the same as the original recordings from the respective albums.
. Twisting By The Pool is a non-album single, although I think this version may be remixed.
- Portobello Belle is a live recording from the Love Over Gold tour (I don't have the details to hand so can't confirm whether it was the same night as the Alchemy live album or not), not previously released on any album.
. Telegraph Road is a remix of the version on the Alchemy live album, although slightly shorter as it fades out about a minute and a half before the end.
- Private Investigations and Brothers In Arms are edited for length. I think the former was changed relatively little. For the latter, the main part of the song isn't really changed, but the intro and outro are both significantly shorter.
- Money For Nothing is edited for length (the 'I want my MTV' intro is nearly complete cut, and it fades out well before the end of the original version) and also loses the non-PC 'earring and makeup' verse.
I got shot off my horse, so what I'm up again...

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 11:42:13 PM »
Telegraph Road is a remix of the version on the Alchemy live album, although slightly shorter as it fades out about a minute and a half before the end.

yes, the remix is mindblowing, stunning sound imo
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2021, 01:54:01 AM »

Yes, the version of Where Do You Think You're Going on the Money For Nothing compilation is definitely different from the track on Communiqué. It has been a while since I listened to this version of the song, but the recording sounds a bit more raw (for want of a better word). The most notable differences are on the outro, as I don't think there is any organ part and  think the riff is mixed louder with the guitar solo not as prominent or well developed as on the final version. Overall I think it's a decent version, although I do prefer the album take which is one of my top three from the album - I love the change in tempo and the guitar building in intensity towards the end of the song.

As it happens, my Dad had the Money For Nothing compilation and thus it became my introduction to Dire Straits and Mark's music. As I became a fan myself and started listening to the original albums, I realised a number of the tracks were different from the versions I initially heard. From memory, the other 11 songs on the CD version can be summarised as below:

- Sultans of Swing, Down To The Waterline, Tunnel of Love, Romeo & Juliet and Walk Of Life are the same as the original recordings from the respective albums.
. Twisting By The Pool is a non-album single, although I think this version may be remixed.
- Portobello Belle is a live recording from the Love Over Gold tour (I don't have the details to hand so can't confirm whether it was the same night as the Alchemy live album or not), not previously released on any album.
. Telegraph Road is a remix of the version on the Alchemy live album, although slightly shorter as it fades out about a minute and a half before the end.
- Private Investigations and Brothers In Arms are edited for length. I think the former was changed relatively little. For the latter, the main part of the song isn't really changed, but the intro and outro are both significantly shorter.
- Money For Nothing is edited for length (the 'I want my MTV' intro is nearly complete cut, and it fades out well before the end of the original version) and also loses the non-PC 'earring and makeup' verse.

- the edit versions of songs are radio edits I guess
- Yes twisting by the pool is a different mix than the original version.
- Portobello Belle is from Paris 20/06/1983

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2021, 01:56:12 AM »
oh man, i'd love to hear all those Communique demo's; the album has over the years turned into my fave of them all. The songs, buy maybe even more the feel of the record; the in-the-pocket playing, incredibly laid-back but never dragging, the cleanness but not over polished, that clean Fender sound that is both thick ánd crispy, the feel of the drums and fills, the sparseness.
Listening to both versions, even though they sound closes alike, i seem to hear that 'recorded at the Bahamas' laid-back feel in the final record, that the demo lacks.
If only there was movie-footage from those Communique sessions!
Or any sessions, for that matter ;-)

yes indeed. these demos are my holly grail in DS unreleased catalog

and I love the Communiqué album too

my chronicle (in french) :

https://textes-blog-rock-n-roll.fr/lalbum-communique-de-dire-straits-est-sorti-il-y-a-40-ans-aujourdhui/

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2021, 12:32:42 PM »
Thank you JF:)
Clear as the day

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2021, 10:42:30 PM »
Communiqué is my favourite DS album, there is no bad song, love the laid-back atmosphere, the clear guitar sound and Mark's great singing makes it just perfect.
I enjoyed reading your great article, JF.  Great work! :clap  Thanks a lot!

This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2021, 11:50:01 PM »

thank you  :) there are lot of other articles on my page dedicated to DS/MK :

https://textes-blog-rock-n-roll.fr/dire-straits-mark-knopfler/

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2021, 11:51:48 PM »
"Bien que ce passage du livre de Oldfield ne précise pas la date, il se pourrait bien que ce soit le concert du 8 septembre 1979, à Boston...

I think so too. This version is touching to tears. Mark sang poignantly.

I'm proud to have this bootleg:)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 11:54:27 PM by Robson »
Clear as the day

hunter

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2021, 10:40:21 AM »
Communiqué is my favourite DS album, there is no bad song, love the laid-back atmosphere, the clear guitar sound and Mark's great singing makes it just perfect.

Such an underrated album. Just a natural and perfect evolution of the sound of the first record.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2021, 01:30:29 PM »

Such an underrated album. Just a natural and perfect evolution of the sound of the first record.

It is such an under rated album - I quite agree! In fact I'm going to have to dig it out now!!!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 39 queries.