Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Album Elimination Poll! - Round 1  (Read 11445 times)

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
Re: Album Elimination Poll! - Round 1
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2021, 08:21:10 PM »
The basic principle is you don't vote your favourite because it's not your least favourite.
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2021, 08:54:07 PM »
My answer is Brothers İn Arms. İt's not like a DS album to me. Good songs, yes but it's too digital...

Same here. Great songs for most of the record but it sounds too digital indeed. But we won't blame them : it was REALLY the sound of the 80s.

I don't get what's the problem with digital. I'd understand if the whole album was so 80s like "One World", but the album is the opposite of the typical 80s... At least in the main tracks, there are real drums, no gated reverbs, and typical synths, and while it's digital, digital is only a recording method. No? Or you HEAR that it's digital? :think

Actually, yes, you notice the digital while listening. communique and brothers in arms can't sound the same. There is an indisputable difference of warmth and sincerity between them. I think there is a serious difference between an analog recording and a digital recording. Of course, some like the feel of analog recording, while others seek a smooth sound. It all comes down to a matter of personal taste again.

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2021, 08:58:11 PM »
My first thought was BIA, so I don't need to think twice.
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2021, 09:55:43 PM »
My answer is Brothers İn Arms. İt's not like a DS album to me. Good songs, yes but it's too digital...

Same here. Great songs for most of the record but it sounds too digital indeed. But we won't blame them : it was REALLY the sound of the 80s.

I don't get what's the problem with digital. I'd understand if the whole album was so 80s like "One World", but the album is the opposite of the typical 80s... At least in the main tracks, there are real drums, no gated reverbs, and typical synths, and while it's digital, digital is only a recording method. No? Or you HEAR that it's digital? :think

Actually, yes, you notice the digital while listening. communique and brothers in arms can't sound the same. There is an indisputable difference of warmth and sincerity between them. I think there is a serious difference between an analog recording and a digital recording. Of course, some like the feel of analog recording, while others seek a smooth sound. It all comes down to a matter of personal taste again.
Yes, especially with the early digital in the 80s. Nowadays you don’t hear it.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2021, 10:32:50 PM »
Brothers in Arms first ?

people didn't read or what ?

It is the most commercial one, so it's not a surprise to me.

the most successful yes, but not the most commercial imho

OES was the most commercial because it was clearly a come back, and of course Mark and Ed knew it will be a success even before recording it.

BIA was not meant as a success at first. It became a success after the release.

it's a total different way of thinking in producing a record imho.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2021, 10:38:31 PM »
Brothers in Arms first ?

people didn't read or what ?

It is the most commercial one, so it's not a surprise to me.

the most successful yes, but not the most commercial imho

OES was the most commercial because it was clearly a come back, and of course Mark and Ed knew it will be a success even before recording it.

BIA was not meant as a success at first. It became a success after the release.

it's a total different way of thinking in producing a record imho.

Good point. I always felt that OES deserves all the hate. I mean they didn't even try to hide the fact that they were basically trying to copy Brothers In Arms, to the point of when you can pair certain songs like Money For Nothing - Heavy Fuel, Iron Hand - The Man's Too Strong etc.

And the fact that it came out after the band's break-up. Makes no sense to me.

Love Expresso

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2021, 10:53:24 PM »
I never made the Iron Hand/The Man's Too strong connection, I loved Iron Hand for it's almost medieval very British sound. However I always linked The Bug with Walk Of Life. He did the same later. Imelda was Money for Nothing and Cannibals was the Bug was Walk of Life. 😅

LE

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2021, 10:56:11 PM »
I never made the Iron Hand/The Man's Too strong connection, I loved Iron Hand for it's almost medieval very British sound. However I always linked The Bug with Walk Of Life. He did the same later. Imelda was Money for Nothing and Cannibals was the Bug was Walk of Life. 😅

LE

Ah, yes, absolutely. So maybe that's a clue for why Mark decided to change the manager? He always wanted to "commercialize" everything it seems.

Love Expresso

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2021, 11:01:04 PM »
Probably yes. For him I guess Paul C. is perfect. For the fans from the Dire Straits times the change was very harsh. The cut from TRD onwards is very deep.

LE

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2021, 10:40:48 AM »
I honestly don't think that they didn't know that Brothers In Arms would become such a hit. I think they knew it really well. The songs are unbelievably strong, all riffs are catchy, almost no weak links in the whole album, recorded in the state-of-the-art fashion, in one of the best studios in the world, in the new domain and format, with cutting edge technology. So it was doomed to be successful in a way.

Once I looked up the 1986 Grammy award and realized that "No Jacket Required" won the album of the year back then. I mean, I respect Phil Collins and all, but this album is nowhere near Brothers In Arms, this was simply ridiculous and showed how pointless all these awards are.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2021, 10:58:56 AM »

LE

Ah, yes, absolutely. So maybe that's a clue for why Mark decided to change the manager? He always wanted to "commercialize" everything it seems.

I don't believe MK would have written, recorded and performed those "copy" songs just because Ed told him to.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2021, 11:13:59 AM »

LE

I don't believe MK would have written, recorded and performed those "copy" songs just because Ed told him to.

Of course not! However, we all know Mark is such a repository of songs and surely they could pick the songs for the album and it just happens "by accident" that some of the songs remind older hits. And the manager certainly could have some control over that. All I know is that Ed would not make Privateering into this bluesy-folky 2 CDs mess that this album is. And probably his decisions weren't so bad after all.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2021, 11:16:46 AM »

LE

Of course not! However, we all know Mark is such a repository of songs and surely they could pick the songs for the album and it just happens "by accident" that some of the songs remind older hits. And the manager certainly could have some control over that. All I know is that Ed would not make Privateering into this bluesy-folky 2 CDs mess that this album is. And probably his decisions weren't so bad after all.

Privateering a two CD 'Mess' - No, absolutley not - it's a 3x CD mess!!! :lol :lol
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2021, 11:36:25 AM »
BIA as the LEAST favorite ??. Somebody must have misread the poll. For sure ;)
Cheers Peter

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2021, 11:43:38 AM »
BIA gave us a stinker like Why Worry, so that for me was the reason to drop
but honestly, it was a very close call!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 42 queries.