Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Album Elimination Poll! - Round 1  (Read 11454 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: Album Elimination Poll! - Round 1
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2021, 08:29:26 PM »
Wonder if there is actually a tale to tell about the BIA cover?
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2021, 08:51:56 PM »

I think even Guy recalled this story on his forum. Nothing particularly amazing, they were hanging out around a pool in Montserrat while recording the album, and somebody, not even Mark, held this guitar in the sky and thought that it looks cool. They took the photo and the rest is history... I mean, there's zero meaning involved.

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2021, 09:17:35 PM »
My answer is Brothers İn Arms. İt's not like a DS album to me. Good songs, yes but it's too digital...

Same here. Great songs for most of the record but it sounds too digital indeed. But we won't blame them : it was REALLY the sound of the 80s.

I don't get what's the problem with digital. I'd understand if the whole album was so 80s like "One World", but the album is the opposite of the typical 80s... At least in the main tracks, there are real drums, no gated reverbs, and typical synths, and while it's digital, digital is only a recording method. No? Or you HEAR that it's digital? :think

When I say "digital album", I imply that it really has the sound of the 80s, which was very "digital" or call it whatever you want but I'm sure you know what I mean, the drums sounding very "electronic" and those synths almost everywhere etc. It's not typical of the BIA record, it's typical of all the records of its time… including BIA. So for this reason, I still vote BIA, sorry guys.

Same reason why I picked BIA. I never liked the synthetic sound of the 80's. But I'm still fascinated by the cover of this beautiful guitar that flies in the sky.  There is something magical about it. 
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2021, 09:27:09 PM »

;D
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2021, 10:53:54 PM »

I think even Guy recalled this story on his forum. Nothing particularly amazing, they were hanging out around a pool in Montserrat while recording the album, and somebody, not even Mark, held this guitar in the sky and thought that it looks cool. They took the photo and the rest is history... I mean, there's zero meaning involved.

Maybe no meaning but it's an iconic album cover for sure!!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2021, 12:14:10 AM »

Maybe no meaning but it's an iconic album cover for sure!!

It's true.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2021, 08:07:38 AM »
The Brothers In Arms album cover is a classic, for me, it's about making the cover memorable and recognizable, and that is certainly the case here, as much as the covers for Tubular Bells and The Darkside of The Moon. How it came about is not that important in the long run, often strange things that are not planned work out better anyway, the cover of Atom Heart Mother for example, they didn't ask the cow to pose, it was just luck. However, the Making Movies cover has to be the most bland cover ever, but.... it is recognizable!!!
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2021, 08:34:28 AM »
The Brothers In Arms album cover is a classic, for me, it's about making the cover memorable and recognizable, and that is certainly the case here, as much as the covers for Tubular Bells and The Darkside of The Moon. How it came about is not that important in the long run, often strange things that are not planned work out better anyway, the cover of Atom Heart Mother for example, they didn't ask the cow to pose, it was just luck. However, the Making Movies cover has to be the most bland cover ever, but.... it is recognizable!!!

Making movies just doesn't cut it at all for me thus that was my first to be binned. Cover is bland and I guess the tracks are too. It just never did it for me...

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2021, 09:38:14 AM »

Making movies just doesn't cut it at all for me thus that was my first to be binned. Cover is bland and I guess the tracks are too. It just never did it for me...

After learning that Mark custom-ordered his Schecter guitars with Making Movies colors it seems pretty clear to me, that the cover is just an homage to Mark's favorite guitar colors. But that always has been a problem with abstract art for me, when the story is more interesting than the piece itself. You'll find it everywhere in art, avant-garde and stuff like this, the backstory is always more interesting than the piece itself. Like Andy Warhol's movie "Empire", like the Black Square, White Album, etc..Thankfully, Mark is not an abstract artist and had songs on the album too :lol

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2021, 09:48:40 AM »

After learning that Mark custom-ordered his Schecter guitars with Making Movies colors it seems pretty clear to me, that the cover is just an homage to Mark's favorite guitar colors. But that always has been a problem with abstract art for me, when the story is more interesting than the piece itself. You'll find it everywhere in art, avant-garde and stuff like this, the backstory is always more interesting than the piece itself. Like Andy Warhol's movie "Empire", like the Black Square, White Album, etc..Thankfully, Mark is not an abstract artist and had songs on the album too :lol

Interesting info with regards the colours but it's still very bland to me!!!

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2021, 10:07:11 AM »
I'm confused- I just voted for OES  as my least favourite album based on the tracks,  but a lot of the discussion is about the abum covers.   
 :hmm

BIA is IMO the most iconic DS album cover & Making Movies the least interesting, but that doesn't affect what I think of the songs on those albums.
Both albums contain some of my favorite tracks.
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2021, 10:10:43 AM »
I'm confused- I just voted for OES  as my least favourite album based on the tracks,  but a lot of the discussion is about the abum covers.   

BIA is IMO the most iconic DS album cover & Making Movies the least interesting, but that doesn't affect what I think of the songs on those albums.

All discussion is welcome here. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2021, 10:17:54 AM »

All discussion is welcome here. :)

The album has a lot of parts to it. It has the cover, it has a name (usually named after the title track, a pretty lazy tradition if you ask me), it has songs. And there's also a back cover, packaging, songs order, recording method, arrangements. So a lot of things to discuss in the album! The cover picture just seems to be the easiest to discuss because it's so prominent. I must say it's much harder to find a good cover picture than a good song.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2021, 03:32:49 PM »

from Guy :

The photo was taken by Deborah Feingold. She was asked someone to hold the guitar by the head while she took a picture of it.
The people in the studio were a bit circumspect. And then a few days later when she presented the pictorial composition with the sky in the background, everyone found it magnificent.

also :
the back cover is painting effects by Thomas Steyer,

I put this info in my chronicle of the album :

https://textes-blog-rock-n-roll.fr/la-guitare-national-steel-de-mark-knopfler/#Rendue_celebre_par_la_pochette_de_Brothers_in_arms

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2021, 03:40:48 PM »
For me it was between Communique and Making Movies. I rarely listen to Communique, but I got to say that songs like Single Handed Sailor, Where Do You Think You're Going, News, are legendary. I've never really enjoyed Making Movies too much, with the exception of the first two songs, of course.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 38 queries.