Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Boothbay concert 15 years ago  (Read 9111 times)

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
Re: Boothbay concert 15 years ago
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2021, 11:35:41 AM »
One of the best shows in recent history. Intimate, spontaneous, funny, lots of songs, no piss breaks, no drummer and still breathtaking.

I agree that it was a great show with really great songs. I seriously missed a drummer (provided you have the right drummer…) but it's my opinion, of course. Anyway it was fantastic to hear songs that had never been played before and that will probably never be played again. It proves that Mark can do it if he really wants to… instead of playing the same songs over and over again (even if they are classics).

The IEM recording of this show is truly enjoyable by the way. If the person who recorded and shared it at the time reads these lines, may he / she be thanked here.

Thank you JF for the chronicle  :thumbsup

Yes, a BIG Thank you from me too!

All these songs to hear that have never been played before was something very special, but probably will never happen again.
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2021, 11:56:51 AM »
Thanks from me also, JF.     :thumbsup
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2021, 12:00:56 PM »
One of the best shows in recent history. Intimate, spontaneous, funny, lots of songs, no piss breaks, no drummer and still breathtaking.

I agree that it was a great show with really great songs. I seriously missed a drummer (provided you have the right drummer…) but it's my opinion, of course. Anyway it was fantastic to hear songs that had never been played before and that will probably never be played again. It proves that Mark can do it if he really wants to… instead of playing the same songs over and over again (even if they are classics).

The IEM recording of this show is truly enjoyable by the way. If the person who recorded and shared it at the time reads these lines, may he / she be thanked here.

Thank you JF for the chronicle  :thumbsup

Yes, a BIG Thank you from me too!

All these songs to hear that have never been played before was something very special, but probably will never happen again.

It can be said that the film is a great capture of an historic MK occasion.....Thanks to whoever filmed it! and yes of course great article JF... :clap :wave
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2021, 12:04:14 PM »
Quite a bizarre show for him in all honesty.  Personally I've never been a fan of these minimalistic shows he does but they are interesting.

Would you regard NHB concerts as bizarre?    I just wonder, because to me they are in a similar vein - a very relaxed MK with jokes thrown in and the audience having a great time.    Great music too!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2021, 12:12:19 PM »
Quite a bizarre show for him in all honesty.  Personally I've never been a fan of these minimalistic shows he does but they are interesting.

Would you regard NHB concerts as bizarre?    I just wonder, because to me they are in a similar vein - a very relaxed MK with jokes thrown in and the audience having a great time.    Great music too!   :)

Personally, I think the small intimate shows are a really good experience - and to see and hear MK at close hand is absolutely awesome. The three I have attended stick firmly in the front of my mind (especially Bridport!!!)
I haven't been to a NHB concert it's true but I'm sure like seeing him at the intimate shows it would have been good to see MK whatever his platform!!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2021, 12:18:12 PM »
Been to 4 NHB shows (5 if you include 2002) and they were all amazing, especially the 2 at Ronnie Scott's.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2021, 12:21:37 PM »
Been to 4 NHB shows (5 if you include 2002) and they were all amazing, especially the 2 at Ronnie Scott's.

Wow! I just never got to any of them - I suppose thinking on it the closest I got to a NHB gig was at Beaulieu (28th July 2002) with the 'two' set changes!! and MK with 'Man Flu' too!!!

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2021, 12:23:57 PM »
Well, I've never been to a NHB show but I was lucky enough to attend a 2002 show and I can say that it is arguably my best memory as a MK fan, and I mean it as I had a lot of highlights, the show at Dublin in 2006 being one of them for instance.

But London in 2002 was, well, as a show it's something that I will never forget.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2021, 12:26:37 PM »
Well, I've never been to a NHB show but I was lucky enough to attend a 2002 show and I can say that it is arguably my best memory as a MK fan, and I mean it as I had a lot of highlights, the show at Dublin in 2006 being one of them for instance.

But London in 2002 was, well, as a show it's something that I will never forget.

Dublin 2006 was obviously a highlight just because of the company you were in :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2021, 12:27:30 PM »

Dublin 2006 was obviously a highlight just because of the company you were in :)

Of course  ;D

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2021, 12:35:41 PM »

Personally, I think the small intimate shows are a really good experience - and to see and hear MK at close hand is absolutely awesome. The three I have attended stick firmly in the front of my mind (especially Bridport!!!)
I haven't been to a NHB concert it's true but I'm sure like seeing him at the intimate shows it would have been good to see MK whatever his platform!!

The NHB concerts were wonderful - I feel very lucky to have been to some of them - Leeds 1993, York 1997 and Ronnie Scott's, Birmingham 1998.   Hay-On-Wye and Hay-On-Sky were great also - it was lovely to meet some amiters there, including Dusty!  :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 12:44:27 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2021, 12:47:39 PM »

The NHB concerts were wonderful - I feel very lucky to have been to some of them - Leeds 1993, York 1997 and Ronnie Scott's, Birmingham 1998.   Hay-On-Wye and Hay-On-Sky were great also - it was lovely to meet some amiters there, including Dusty!  :)

Excellent, Yes Hay-on-Wye was good but eclipsed in my eyes by MK at Bridport & Chalke Valley!!

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2021, 12:53:07 PM »

Do we know why they stopped touring by the way?

Being bored of a huge machine like Dire Straits is one thing but they could have kept on doing these little shows when they felt like it. I'm pretty sure that Steve and Brendan and Ed or Danny and Marcus and Guy would have have been up for it.

So was it Mark's decision only again?

The 2002 shows is be a great way to call it off but hey, why??

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2021, 12:58:56 PM »

Being bored of a huge machine like Dire Straits is one thing but they could have kept on doing these little shows when they felt like it. I'm pretty sure that Steve and Brendan and Ed or Danny and Marcus and Guy would have have been up for it.

Interesting question. I think that's generally very strange that this so-called "supergroup" released only 1 record. And what's so super about it when it's just another bunch of musicians centered on MK? I think he stopped touring with that because he realized everything he's in is always centered around him so why bother. I think just because he has less time now, he concentrates on his solo career. Back then he could afford other projects, but especially now the time is speeding faster and faster. No time for Notting Hillbillies, unfortunately.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2021, 01:06:09 PM »

Interesting question. I think that's generally very strange that this so-called "supergroup" released only 1 record. And what's so super about it when it's just another bunch of musicians centered on MK? I think he stopped touring with that because he realized everything he's in is always centered around him so why bother. I think just because he has less time now, he concentrates on his solo career. Back then he could afford other projects, but especially now the time is speeding faster and faster. No time for Notting Hillbillies, unfortunately.

I have never thought that NHB were centred on MK - even though he stood in the middle.   The singing was fairly equally divided between MK, Steve and Brendan. The videos that show MK all the time and ignore the others give that impression, particularly regarding Brendan.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 01:08:58 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 38 queries.