Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark Knopfler Solo Studio album elimination poll - Round 1  (Read 14718 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: Mark Knopfler Solo Studio album elimination poll - Round 1
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2021, 02:09:12 PM »
Ragpickers was the start of the downward spiral for me and a massive step down from previous albums.  That got my vote, but it could've been Privateering, 50% of which should've been left on the HD.

Ragpicker's is another of my favourites - so many beautiful songs.   That makes four favourites for me and they all can't win!   ;D

I probably should've voted Privateering come to think of it, but I doubt it'll make any difference to the final result.

Privateering is second in line for the chop for me!

DTRW for me next.

That was my first.... Couldn't believe it but after much thought it had to have the chop!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2021, 06:27:47 PM »
Ragpickers was the start of the downward spiral for me and a massive step down from previous albums.  That got my vote, but it could've been Privateering, 50% of which should've been left on the HD.

Ragpicker's is another of my favourites - so many beautiful songs.   That makes four favourites for me and they all can't win!   ;D

Ragpickers is just amazing!

Yes, it is! I haven't listened to the Ragpickers since a long time, but I came back to it since the new CD box arrived and can't get enough now. What a beautiful album! 
This is all the heaven we've got, right here where we are in our Shangri-La.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2021, 07:13:14 PM »

Ragpickers is just amazing!

Yes, it is! I haven't listened to the Ragpickers since a long time, but I came back to it since the new CD box arrived and can't get enough now. What a beautiful album!

It is a perfect, relax to album and it's certainly up there for me - roll on Christmas day when I can hear ragpickers on Vinyl!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2021, 08:03:29 PM »
Kill to get Crimson - ahead with 16 Votes.....Nooooooooo!!!! :'( :'( :'(
I agree. Doesn't look too good  :-\

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2021, 08:11:11 PM »

Three more days.... :think

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2021, 07:27:35 AM »

Privateering is closing on in!!!

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2021, 09:33:08 AM »
I choose DTRW. It's not as timeless as his other records, already after three years, which also applies to Guy's mixing, way more than on Tracker. Also, none of the songs are innovative, which I understand entirely after 40+ years of writings songs. Currently, my favorites are Every Heart In The Room, Don't Suck Me In, and Pale Imitation. I find it hard to finish the complete record from start to finish.

This week I listened again to the latest remaster of KTGC, and I still believe it's a creative masterpiece. The titles of the songs alone are already haunting and mysterious. The production is also so well crafted. It's one of the few albums where he made a hard choice to go another direction and be really consistent throughout the album, which I adore; it just sounds 'different'. Still, it's full of little details.

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2021, 10:15:10 AM »
Agree with you about KTGC. It is such a consistent album, is got intriging and intelligent lyrics perfectlty matched by the carefully chosen and elegant musical arrangements. It is one of these rare albums you can put on anytime and enjoy listening all the way from start to finish, there's nothing that doesn't fit. It probably is the album I listen to the most, it never wears off the slightest. It is just so refined in every aspect.

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2021, 10:34:08 AM »
I choose DTRW. It's not as timeless as his other records, already after three years, which also applies to Guy's mixing, way more than on Tracker. Also, none of the songs are innovative, which I understand entirely after 40+ years of writings songs. Currently, my favorites are Every Heart In The Room, Don't Suck Me In, and Pale Imitation. I find it hard to finish the complete record from start to finish.

This week I listened again to the latest remaster of KTGC, and I still believe it's a creative masterpiece. The titles of the songs alone are already haunting and mysterious. The production is also so well crafted. It's one of the few albums where he made a hard choice to go another direction and be really consistent throughout the album, which I adore; it just sounds 'different'. Still, it's full of little details.

Thanks for your input, I usually rate KTGC less kindly than other albums but you make me see things in a different perspective. Now I want to listen to the remaster. I love Punish, Madame Geneva and I once put Heart in the "best of MK" I usually make after each new release but I may be missing something

As for DTRW, songs like Nobody's child, Drover's road, One Song at a Time, back on the dance floor just to name a few are pure knopfler and at the same time innovative in their own way so I still give this album a high rating even after 3 years and the CD is still in my car player for when the radio music gets lousy.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2021, 10:54:49 AM »
KTGC is just pure and utter MK class! Secondary Waltz is still one of my all time faves.....Happy memories of Hay On Wye!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 10:56:56 AM by Knopflerfan »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2021, 11:17:48 AM »
KTGC is just pure and utter MK class! Secondary Waltz is still one of my all time faves.....Happy memories of Hay On Wye!

I agree.   I love everything about it.  I remember standing in the queue for Hay-on-Sky and hearing "Secondary Waltz" being played at soundcheck.    It took me a while to really appreciate just how good KTGC is, but eventually I did and now it's one of my favourite albums and one that I listen to straight through without skipping anything.   A very classy album, with a classy cover.  It really doesn't deserve to go out on the first round!
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2021, 11:20:56 AM »

I agree.   I love everything about it.  I remember standing in the queue for Hay-on-Sky and hearing "Secondary Waltz" being played at soundcheck.    It took me a while to really appreciate just how good KTGC is, but eventually I did and now it's one of my favourite albums and one that I listen to straight through without skipping anything.   A very classy album, with a classy cover.  It really doesn't deserve to go out on the first round!

Hearing SW for the first time was just 'out of this world' and yes what an album that at the time I probably didn't appreciate until quite recently to be honest....Absolutley no skipping with this album whatsoever - too many gems!

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2021, 11:24:18 AM »
Privateering for me. Nice to see such an active thread
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2021, 11:32:02 AM »
Privateering for me. Nice to see such an active thread

Oh its active alright! good to see you on the forum too... :wave

OfflinePeter1981

• Camerado
« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2021, 11:55:40 AM »
Agree, one of my solo-favs!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 38 queries.