Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Alan Clark: "We'd love a DS reunion but Mark Knopfler is busy"  (Read 15696 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Alan Clark: "We'd love a DS reunion but Mark Knopfler is busy"
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2022, 11:21:57 AM »
Chet was the one who influenced MK the most
Without him he wouldn't have done any Country at all. Maybe...

I don't think so, the country was there from the start. Setting Me Up? Pure country.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

hunter

« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2022, 12:54:41 PM »

I don't think so, the country was there from the start. Setting Me Up? Pure country.

Country covers a lot, but SMU is bordering on rock. Country rock? When I think about country, I think about George Jones, etc. It's a little "schmaltzy" and sappy. To me Are We In Trouble Now Mark's most countrified song (that piano!), of course ruined by the heavily distorted guitar he-he

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #122 on: January 13, 2022, 01:09:42 PM »
There are upbeat country songs as well you know. Go listen to White Lightning by George Jones and come back and tell me it's schmaltzy or sappy.

Setting Me Up could be a Buck Owens song.

What's "rock" about it?

Waylon Jennings did it, and how about this?!

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #123 on: January 13, 2022, 02:57:51 PM »
There are upbeat country songs as well you know. Go listen to White Lightning by George Jones and come back and tell me it's schmaltzy or sappy.

Setting Me Up could be a Buck Owens song.

What's "rock" about it?

Waylon Jennings did it, and how about this?!

Whoa, this is brilliant! I had never heard this great cover of Setting Me Up, thanks for sharing!

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2022, 05:34:54 PM »

Disagree here. Setting me up is not country for me. Compare it to Poor Boy Blues. Quite a difference
I really think his Golden country times came with Chet,  starting after 1985 (COsmic Sqaure Dance, Sails etc.)
After Chet died (RIP Chet) the country style slowly left. He didn't fly to Nashville very often after that.
On his last albums we didn't hear any country. Last really song was the Privateering Bonus track Follow the Ribbon.

Love will find a Way

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2022, 06:21:35 PM »
WHAT a cool version of Setting me up, thank you!  :D

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2022, 09:05:28 PM »

Disagree here. Setting me up is not country for me. Compare it to Poor Boy Blues. Quite a difference
I really think his Golden country times came with Chet,  starting after 1985 (COsmic Sqaure Dance, Sails etc.)
After Chet died (RIP Chet) the country style slowly left. He didn't fly to Nashville very often after that.
On his last albums we didn't hear any country. Last really song was the Privateering Bonus track Follow the Ribbon.
You get different styles and tempos in country.

Setting Me Up and Poor Boy Blues are both country.

Stand By Your Man and Achy Breaky Heart are both country.

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #127 on: January 16, 2022, 06:16:07 PM »
To dustyvalentino.
A really cool find, your Country / Hillbilly coverversion of Setting me up. It fit´s to that music-genre. A good idea by that band, to cover this song.
Can you remember John Anderson, another US-Country-Man, who Mark was involved in, in the early 1990s. ?

Seminole Wind was a cool Country-Album, which includes a cover-version of When it comes to you. Also a brilliant cover-version of John, with Mark in the background on guitar. For those fans, which are not familiar with that artist or the album, just listen to John Andersons Album Seminole Wind and, of course, to When it comes to you. :thumbsup 8)
We are fools to make war

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #128 on: January 16, 2022, 07:56:19 PM »
To dustyvalentino.
A really cool find, your Country / Hillbilly coverversion of Setting me up. It fit´s to that music-genre. A good idea by that band, to cover this song.
Can you remember John Anderson, another US-Country-Man, who Mark was involved in, in the early 1990s. ?

Seminole Wind was a cool Country-Album, which includes a cover-version of When it comes to you. Also a brilliant cover-version of John, with Mark in the background on guitar. For those fans, which are not familiar with that artist or the album, just listen to John Andersons Album Seminole Wind and, of course, to When it comes to you. :thumbsup 8)
Yes, I like John Anderson, I have a few of his albums on vinyl.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #129 on: January 17, 2022, 01:02:07 PM »
Setting me Up is as country as it gets to me. Of course every music genre generates sub genres so Johnny Cash will sound completely different from Garth Brooks or Alison Kraus for instance. Eastbound Train is countryish to my ears as well.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #130 on: January 17, 2022, 03:10:15 PM »
Setting me Up is as country as it gets to me. Of course every music genre generates sub genres so Johnny Cash will sound completely different from Garth Brooks or Alison Kraus for instance. Eastbound Train is countryish to my ears as well.
I'd say Eastbound train is more boogie for me

talking about live version of course.

because the demo was completely different and I like it very much. it should had been on the first album, as well as real girl

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #131 on: January 17, 2022, 05:06:39 PM »
To dustyvalentino.

Yes, I like John Anderson, I have a few of his albums on vinyl.

Me too!  ;D
I am a long time fan of John Anderson and own all of his work on vinyl and CD. He's a real country boy, humble and down to earth as can be. John has a distinctive voice and style. He grew up listening to country music but always wanted to be in a rock band as a kid, so you can find a lot of rock and blues elements in his music here. I was thrilled to learn that John and Mark met in Nashville and did some things together back in the early 90's. Not only does Mark play guitar on "When It Comes To You," he can also be heard on "Let The Guitar Do The Talking" off JA's 1996 album Paradise.

This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #132 on: January 17, 2022, 05:28:08 PM »
I'd say Eastbound train is more boogie for me

talking about live version of course.

because the demo was completely different and I like it very much. it should had been on the first album, as well as real girl

Yes. For me Eastbound Train is also a boogie and should be on the first DS album.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 05:31:36 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 38 queries.