Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Alan Clark: "We'd love a DS reunion but Mark Knopfler is busy"  (Read 15694 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Alan Clark: "We'd love a DS reunion but Mark Knopfler is busy"
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2021, 11:57:44 AM »
Good interview.  I thought they both came across really well.  Thanks for posting.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2021, 01:01:16 PM »
I notice that the latest poster says:  "DSL Dire Straits Legacy - The Closest You're Going To Get".   I would have thought that Mark's present band is the closest we're going to get with Mark, Guy and Danny from DS.   DSL have only Alan and Phil and the singer is Italian!

Mark playing DS music right up and including the last tour was the closest your going to get!
Alan stated that MK didn't play any DS music?? huh?? - he obviously doesn't listen to any of the MK shows then!!

When they say that, I always think in the songs MK doesn't play, like Private, Tunnel, Two young lovers etc etc
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2021, 01:34:48 PM »
I would love to hear him play Private Investigations again.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2021, 02:06:42 PM »

I think that one would be easy for him.

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2021, 03:01:43 PM »
'92 version? A disaster.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2021, 04:14:17 PM »

Like ToL it's a rock song and his band are "The Dullards."  These songs just aren't for them, hence they've never been performed during his solo career imho.

I too would have loved to hear it again but I think that time has passed us by...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 04:17:29 PM by dmg »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2021, 05:01:42 PM »

Like ToL it's a rock song and his band are "The Dullards."  These songs just aren't for them, hence they've never been performed during his solo career imho.

I too would have loved to hear it again but I think that time has passed us by...

I think that it's insulting calling such a wonderful band "The Dullards"  - I'm sure that if they can play other intricate songs such as TR that they could play TOL or PI!  I still think it's MK that doesn't want to play them.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2021, 05:34:53 PM »

I think that it's insulting calling such a wonderful band "The Dullards"  - I'm sure that if they can play other intricate songs such as TR that they could play TOL or PI!  I still think it's MK that doesn't want to play them.

Just to clarify - to those who are unaware - those are Ed Bicknell's words and I personally get where he is coming from and don't think they're an insult whatsoever.  In '96 Mark chose Nashville musicians for his band and got the country sound he was after.  They weren't DS in any incarnation and the songs had a different sound.  I think The Dullards is a really funny term as that's a bit of an exaggeration of how they perform DS rockier songs and it also gives an insight into Ed's opinion and rather blunt SOH. 

I think MK would have struggled with the rather energetic vocal delivery of ToL also. 

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2021, 05:52:15 PM »

Just to clarify - to those who are unaware - those are Ed Bicknell's words and I personally get where he is coming from and don't think they're an insult whatsoever.  In '96 Mark chose Nashville musicians for his band and got the country sound he was after.  They weren't DS in any incarnation and the songs had a different sound.  I think The Dullards is a really funny term as that's a bit of an exaggeration of how they perform DS rockier songs and it also gives an insight into Ed's opinion and rather blunt SOH. 

I think MK would have struggled with the rather energetic vocal delivery of ToL also.

I am well aware that it was Ed Bicknell who first called the band "The Dullards" but that doesn't make it OK, at least not to me and I don't find it a bit funny.   What's the matter with the way the band play the rockier songs anyway?   ???

Definition of dullard - slow or stupid person
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 06:00:32 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2021, 06:01:44 PM »

I am well aware that it was Ed Bicknell who first called the band "The Dullards" but that doesn't make it OK, at least not to me and I don't find it a bit funny.   What's the matter with the way the band play the rockier songs anyway?   ???

Definition of dullard - slow or stupid person

oh, I think I am a dullard
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2021, 06:10:26 PM »
Ed is clearly a bitter man.

MK's solo band are the cream of session musicians and rocked as hard as any DS lineup when given the opportunity, plenty of rocking tunes in 96, Pyroman, Cleaning My Gun etc.

It's not the musicians that are the issue, it's the music. MK went away from rock with his solo output. Even before then, is OES a rock album, with pedal steel all over it?!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2021, 07:45:46 PM »
Good interview.  I thought they both came across really well.  Thanks for posting.

They both looked like a couple of hobos!
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2021, 08:03:12 PM »
"the dullards" would play any DS song exactly like the best incarnation of DS, or even better, nowadays.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2021, 08:06:58 PM »

To be honest, it took me more than a half of the interview to recognize Phil Palmer here, he looks so different now. And he always speaks as it's kinda difficult for him?

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2021, 08:20:57 PM »

To be honest, it took me more than a half of the interview to recognize Phil Palmer here, he looks so different now. And he always speaks as it's kinda difficult for him?

LOL
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.363 seconds with 36 queries.