Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Alan Clark: "We'd love a DS reunion but Mark Knopfler is busy"  (Read 15940 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Alan Clark: "We'd love a DS reunion but Mark Knopfler is busy"
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2021, 08:59:55 PM »
"the dullards" would play any DS song exactly like the best incarnation of DS, or even better, nowadays.

It'd be interesting to hear them play some of the country stuff on the OES album such as When it Comes to You; that's right down their every street!

The other stuff...no.  They sound like they'd rather be at home sipping their Horlicks than banging out MFN or Sultans.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 09:04:30 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2021, 10:00:28 PM »
"the dullards" would play any DS song exactly like the best incarnation of DS, or even better, nowadays.

It'd be interesting to hear them play some of the country stuff on the OES album such as When it Comes to You; that's right down their every street!

The other stuff...no.  They sound like they'd rather be at home sipping their Horlicks than banging out MFN or Sultans.

I honestly think that Mark's band is total overkill for his music. He could hire musicians 20 times less successful and professional and still, would end up with a great show because most of it revolves around him anyway. I understand he has this exact band simply because most (or even all) of musicians are multi-instrumentalists. Richard plays on a lot of stringed instruments including lap steel, Glenn plays upright and regular bass, John plays guitar, cittern, and violin, and so on. Even Guy multitasks! I think that's too much multi-tasking going on in Mark's band too.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2021, 10:26:46 PM »

I honestly think that Mark's band is total overkill for his music. He could hire musicians 20 times less successful and professional and still, would end up with a great show because most of it revolves around him anyway. I understand he has this exact band simply because most (or even all) of musicians are multi-instrumentalists. Richard plays on a lot of stringed instruments including lap steel, Glenn plays upright and regular bass, John plays guitar, cittern, and violin, and so on. Even Guy multitasks! I think that's too much multi-tasking going on in Mark's band too.
And they still have to sample MK on Corned Beef City…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2021, 10:04:49 AM »

And they still have to sample MK on Corned Beef City…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haha Haha!!!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2021, 06:56:22 PM »
Thought it was a good interview 

Alan very respectful to MK in this conversation.  Alan's influence on the live versions is very clear when you listen to his solo album, R and J being a case in point.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2021, 07:27:28 PM »

Alan very respectful to MK in this conversation.  Alan's influence on the live versions is very clear when you listen to his solo album, R and J being a case in point.

They seem to calm down and behave well, it wasn't the case some time ago, maybe Mark's lawsuits and hall of fame had to do something with it, I don't know. But you literally can't compare Alan of now and at the peak of the Legacy craze. I tend to look at this situation like this:

Yes, Alan obviously had a tremendous amount of input on Mark's music, arranging and composing some of the most remarkable songs, Romeo & Juliet, Telegraph Road, just wow! But I don't think he had the right to say some things he said like Mark was not a big part of Dire Straits or some total BS like this.

I think Dire Straits = MK, and hence without him, Alan won't be able to do all these things and arrangements in the first place. Mark brought Alan to work with Bob Dylan, so Mark basically made his whole career, and instead of biting his feeding hand, I would behave differently and try to get on with it.

Offlineknopflertom

• Camerado
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2021, 07:49:24 AM »
I didn‘t know that Mark had a lawsuit against Alan. What was the reason?
Greetz Tom

Dortmund , Cologne 2015 done
Barcelona, RAH 21st, Oberhausen

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2021, 08:51:22 AM »

Well, not strictly against Alan personally, it was discussed here: https://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=7851.0

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2021, 10:34:49 AM »

And it wasn't MK, but the team of lawyers that represent the trademark Dire Straits.

They send a request to ALL Dire Straits tribute bands to not use the band name when playing their concerts in order to avoid confussion.

All the Spanish tribute bands got that communication from the lawyers, also the DS Legacy band.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2021, 12:48:54 PM »

I listened to his album yesterday and thought the same.  He is one musician who seems to know the right note for the right time, just like Mark.  They complimented each other beautifully and it's a great loss they're no longer making music together.  Guy seems a nice chap but I'm not sure what he brings to the table musically.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2021, 12:51:07 PM »

I listened to his album yesterday and thought the same.  He is one musician who seems to know the right note for the right time, just like Mark.  They complimented each other beautifully and it's a great loss they're no longer making music together.  Guy seems a nice chap but I'm not sure what he brings to the table musically.

+1000  :thumbsup

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2021, 02:34:27 PM »

I have listened to Alan's album twice now and agree that he is a very accomplished pianist, but apart from R&J, which was really beautiful, there were some that I struggled to recognise eg "I and I", "Your Latest Trick", "Private Dancer" and eventually everything seemed to merge into one and began sounding the same, in the same style.   It was a very soporific experience to say the least! 
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2021, 03:18:46 PM »

A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2021, 05:31:38 PM »
David, pm him, I can assure you that chat with him is an experience itself! I have some pictures with him that every time I see I start laughing remembering that moments!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 05:44:26 PM by jbaent »

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2021, 05:45:52 PM »

I have listened to Alan's album twice now and agree that he is a very accomplished pianist, but apart from R&J, which was really beautiful, there were some that I struggled to recognise eg "I and I", "Your Latest Trick", "Private Dancer" and eventually everything seemed to merge into one and began sounding the same, in the same style.   It was a very soporific experience to say the least!

Only piano music is like that, any music with just one instrument is like that.

I listen the Alan Clark record a lot, but not all songs in a row, I play two or three songs everytime.

I love the Big River version.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 38 queries.