Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Alan Clark: "We'd love a DS reunion but Mark Knopfler is busy"  (Read 15949 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Alan Clark: "We'd love a DS reunion but Mark Knopfler is busy"
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2021, 05:58:14 PM »
Thought it was a good interview 

Alan very respectful to MK in this conversation.  Alan's influence on the live versions is very clear when you listen to his solo album, R and J being a case in point.

I listened to his album yesterday and thought the same.  He is one musician who seems to know the right note for the right time, just like Mark.  They complimented each other beautifully and it's a great loss they're no longer making music together.  Guy seems a nice chap but I'm not sure what he brings to the table musically.

I have listened to Alan's album twice now and agree that he is a very accomplished pianist, but apart from R&J, which was really beautiful, there were some that I struggled to recognise eg "I and I", "Your Latest Trick", "Private Dancer" and eventually everything seemed to merge into one and began sounding the same, in the same style.   It was a very soporific experience to say the least!

Only piano music is like that, any music with just one instrument is like that.

I listen the Alan Clark record a lot, but not all songs in a row, I play two or three songs everytime.

I love the Big River version.

Actually the only other song, apart from R&J that I did enjoy was "I and I", but I didn't recognise it as such!   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2021, 06:31:37 PM »

Alan very respectful to MK in this conversation.  Alan's influence on the live versions is very clear when you listen to his solo album, R and J being a case in point.

I listened to his album yesterday and thought the same.  He is one musician who seems to know the right note for the right time, just like Mark.  They complimented each other beautifully and it's a great loss they're no longer making music together.  Guy seems a nice chap but I'm not sure what he brings to the table musically.

I have listened to Alan's album twice now and agree that he is a very accomplished pianist, but apart from R&J, which was really beautiful, there were some that I struggled to recognise eg "I and I", "Your Latest Trick", "Private Dancer" and eventually everything seemed to merge into one and began sounding the same, in the same style.   It was a very soporific experience to say the least!

I listen the Alan Clark record a lot, but not all songs in a row, I play two or three songs everytime.

Actually the only other song, apart from R&J that I did enjoy was "I and I", but I didn't recognise it as such!   

The only one I don't like is "Brothers in arms" and "Private dancer" is weird, but it's a good adaptation, for me.

Try Big River, I think is very nice.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2021, 06:46:32 PM »

The only one I don't like is "Brothers in arms" and "Private dancer" is weird, but it's a good adaptation, for me.

Try Big River, I think is very nice.

I have listened to them all, but maybe listening in small doses is required.   I didn't recognise "Your Latest Trick" at all  or "Private Dancer".   I'll give Big River another try.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2021, 07:41:06 PM »
OK.   Listened to Big River again and it's just as boring as most of the others.   It's missing MKs gorgeous guitar - that's what made me love that song in the first place.   I do listen to lots of unaccompanied piano btw, but they are mainly classical works, so completely different.

Just listening to "I & I" again and I really like that one.  It doesn't sound anything like the version from Infidels, but it has a very jazzy feel, which I like a lot.  Maybe AC should do more jazzy stuff !
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 07:58:34 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2021, 08:04:25 PM »
R and J is the standout for me, really quite stunning and the essence of the live versions in there from 88 to 91.

Private dancer is a song I don't like the original of but I think this version by A C is a good interpretation 

The North is also a good tune

Agree that this needs to be listened to in chunks  but I am glad Alan did it and made it widely available.   Stands up as a good and credible piece of work and he plays like he is at peace with things 

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2021, 08:14:46 AM »
I am not really interested in Alan's piano album, missing the full band and Mark's guitar is not what I want to listen to, however, I do really like the piano album from Benny Anderson, his music and playing is much more suited to solo piano.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

hunter

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2021, 09:29:04 PM »
I never really cared for solo piano, especially not pop solo piano. Classical or jazz is acceptable because the compositions and melodies are much more intricate.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2021, 09:47:16 PM »
I am not really interested in Alan's piano album, missing the full band and Mark's guitar is not what I want to listen to, however, I do really like the piano album from Benny Anderson, his music and playing is much more suited to solo piano.

Nor I either, think I'd rather listen to the late Les Dawson play the piano personally!!!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2021, 10:27:25 PM »

Nor I either, think I'd rather listen to the late Les Dawson play the piano personally!!!

I want to see a Les Dawson Mark Knopfler mash up. Although having said that, I don’t think MK’s comic timing was that great in the French and Saunders sketch.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2021, 09:50:31 AM »
I never really cared for solo piano, especially not pop solo piano. Classical or jazz is acceptable because the compositions and melodies are much more intricate.

That is what is good about the Benny Anderson album.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2021, 04:59:40 PM »

:lol

As Morecambe and Wise would have said: he was playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2021, 05:16:54 PM »

:lol

As Morecambe and Wise would have said: he was playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

A classic!     :lol   :lol
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2021, 12:16:18 PM »

I think this is very true. Sure, Mark wrote, sang and played lead guitar, but that doesn't mean it's all his work and the others are just lucky to be there and fill in some minor bits and pieces. If you're in a band, you're in a band - it's a team effort and not a one man show. It's like playing soccer (football). If the striker scores a hat-trick, he still has to get the ball from someone, and that someone can't just be replaced without affecting the result of the game.

It feels very easy to underestimate the work of the other members of DS, but Mark is just another human being and cannot do everything on his own.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2021, 01:14:42 PM »
I think this is very true. Sure, Mark wrote, sang and played lead guitar, but that doesn't mean it's all his work and the others are just lucky to be there and fill in some minor bits and pieces. If you're in a band, you're in a band - it's a team effort and not a one man show. It's like playing soccer (football). If the striker scores a hat-trick, he still has to get the ball from someone, and that someone can't just be replaced without affecting the result of the game.

It feels very easy to underestimate the work of the other members of DS, but Mark is just another human being and cannot do everything on his own.

That's absolutely true if we're talking about a band. However, Dire Straits, as far as I'm concerned, never was a band... From day 1, it was Mark's way of putting out his songs. If he'd be able to play all the instruments at the same time on stage, I'm pretty sure he'd done just that. Even his own brother had no control over the band, let alone other members. David Knopfler said, "I thought we were building a democracy". How naive! John Illsley managed to stick as a core and the most loyal member of Mark's crew, everyone else got shredded in M. Knopfler's creative control blender. I think it's pretty clear that MK is not the guy to mess up with, even fans understand that. But some people he works with think that he's building democracy, and should give credit to something, etc.. That blows my mind. I think one should know with whom he's working and don't have high expectations, or not work with him at all.

Richard Bennett composed an opening guitar melody for "Rüdiger" on the first day of playing and recording with MK and so what? Should he ask for a writing credit, I don't think he'd be in Mark's band to this day. Creative input is great but sometimes too overrated.

Offlinedona74

• Guitar George
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2021, 01:34:34 PM »
... I don't want seem rude... but busy or not, is clear that MK can't play at that level anymore.
He knows it, so why mention a Dire Straits reunion... simply, it isn't possible, neither if Mark wanted it.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 40 queries.