Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Alan Hull : BBC 4 MK Interview  (Read 5002 times)

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
Re: Alan Hull : BBC 4 MK Interview
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2021, 08:05:11 AM »
Maybe you needed to be a Lindisfarne fan - I was back in the day, & I quite enjoyed listening to the songs again.
I certainly didn't watch it because Mark was appearing, after all, he was only interviewed as another geordie musician.
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2021, 08:41:36 AM »
Maybe you needed to be a Lindisfarne fan - I was back in the day, & I quite enjoyed listening to the songs again.
I certainly didn't watch it because Mark was appearing, after all, he was only interviewed as another geordie musician.

No, I'm not a Lindisfarne fan at all - the only songs that I know are "Fog on the Tyne", "Run for Home" and "100 miles from Liverpool", so I watched, mainly to hear what MK had to say, but also to find out more about Lindisfarne. It isn't that I don't like folk music, I do and since the early 60s I have been a member of several folk clubs and even these days still attend a few concerts each year. Perhaps Lindisfarne just isn't my cup of tea!   :)

PS: I do like the above mentioned songs btw, so maybe I should educate myself by listening to some more Lindisfarne songs, after all it's never too late!  ;)

« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 09:33:00 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OnlineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2021, 09:55:48 AM »

I'm like you, I didn't watch it mainly as I had Rugby to watch! but I did however record it so I may when I've got a spare two minutes watch MK's part in full!!!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OnlineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2021, 09:59:24 AM »
Well there's an hour I'll never get back.  Hate these sickening appreciation shows.

I can't believe I sat through it all!    For what?  Two minutes maximum of MK towards the end! :disbelief

No, You like dmg won't get that 1hr back!!! :disbelief
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2021, 11:18:30 AM »
The documentary was about Alan Hull and Lindisfarne, or a MK documentary talking about Alan Hull and Lindisfarne?

I'm a bit confused.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2021, 11:40:47 AM »
The documentary was about Alan Hull and Lindisfarne, or a MK documentary talking about Alan Hull and Lindisfarne?

I'm a bit confused.

The documentary was about Alan Hull and Lindisfarne with contributions from various Geordies and presented by Sam Fender.  So, of course, I shouldn't have expected very much from MK.  I'm sure that if you are a fan of Lindisfarne and their music you would love it!  I did like a lot of the contributions eg from Jimmy Nail, Sting, Peter Gabriel, Elvis Costello and MK.   Mark's contribution was about "100 miles from Liverpool", which is a very nice song and as it showed some film of the Liverpool waterfront, it was especially nice for me.

I think I was a bit hard on it in my first post, because MK's contribution was three-quarters of the way through and I was getting impatient and then it was over in a couple of minutes!  I apologise! ;)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 11:43:00 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2021, 12:31:49 PM »

I'm a bit confused.

The documentary was about Alan Hull and Lindisfarne with contributions from various Geordies and presented by Sam Fender.  So, of course, I shouldn't have expected very much from MK.  I'm sure that if you are a fan of Lindisfarne and their music you would love it!  I did like a lot of the contributions eg from Jimmy Nail, Sting, Peter Gabriel, Elvis Costello and MK.   Mark's contribution was about "100 miles from Liverpool", which is a very nice song and as it showed some film of the Liverpool waterfront, it was especially nice for me.

I think I was a bit hard on it in my first post, because MK's contribution was three-quarters of the way through and I was getting impatient and then it was over in a couple of minutes!  I apologise! ;)

Pretty sure it was less than a couple of minutes and he wasn't even on screen for all that time.  As you say though it was for fans of Lindisfarne and that was really to be expected.  I'm just a bit disappointed our man didn't have any more to do as I was bored out of my mind!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2021, 02:21:14 PM »

I'm a bit confused.

Pretty sure it was less than a couple of minutes and he wasn't even on screen for all that time.  As you say though it was for fans of Lindisfarne and that was really to be expected.  I'm just a bit disappointed our man didn't have any more to do as I was bored out of my mind!

52 seconds!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2021, 04:19:28 PM »
I’ve never heard MK refer to Lindisfarne at any point so I was surprised he was even on at all.

If it was a documentary about Chet for example I would expect a bigger contribution but not this.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2021, 04:26:51 PM »
I’ve never heard MK refer to Lindisfarne at any point so I was surprised he was even on at all.

If it was a documentary about Chet for example I would expect a bigger contribution but not this.

I think Mark was only on the documentary because he is a Geordie.

Also, according to John's book Alan Clark had once played with Lindisfarne.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2021, 04:33:18 PM »

Mark was absent on some major Chet Atkins documentaries as far as I'm concerned, as I remember he doesn't appear here:

But a 1-minute appearance in the doc about some Geordie? Oh, yes, please!

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2021, 04:40:24 PM »

Of course

https://www.discogs.com/release/4002828-Lindisfarne-BT3-Buried-Treasures-Vol-3-Rare-And-Unreleased-1969-2000
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2021, 05:54:18 PM »

No, I'm not a Lindisfarne fan at all - the only songs that I know are "Fog on the Tyne", "Run for Home" and "100 miles from Liverpool", so I watched, mainly to hear what MK had to say, but also to find out more about Lindisfarne. It isn't that I don't like folk music, I do and since the early 60s I have been a member of several folk clubs and even these days still attend a few concerts each year. Perhaps Lindisfarne just isn't my cup of tea!   :)

PS: I do like the above mentioned songs btw, so maybe I should educate myself by listening to some more Lindisfarne songs, after all it's never too late!  ;)

Hi Val,
As you could tell from the programme, Alan Hull was quite "political" and his songs were often hard hitting social commemtaries ( i.e."Winter song") but there were some fun ones as well, The first two albums were probably my favourites and the "Back & Fourth" album after the first time they re-formed included "Run for Home" .

I think my favourite song of theirs is "Meet Me On The Corner".
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2021, 06:06:20 PM »

Hi Val,
As you could tell from the programme, Alan Hull was quite "political" and his songs were often hard hitting social commemtaries ( i.e."Winter song") but there were some fun ones as well, The first two albums were probably my favourites and the "Back & Fourth" album after the first time they re-formed included "Run for Home" .

Thanks, I'll take a listen.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2021, 07:39:54 PM »

Hi Val,

Just listened to "Meet Me On The Corner"  and I was surprised to hear that it is a song I know very well, but I know it as "Hey Mr. Dreamseller".  So, that's another song I like!   :)  I think I could be a convert!   ;D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 08:06:18 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 36 queries.