Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK - Christmas Connections?  (Read 9621 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: MK - Christmas Connections?
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2021, 10:08:03 PM »
Another song which has a tenuous Christmas connection is One More Matinee, the line 'we're proud to be the oldest ugly sisters in variety' makes me think of the pantomime versions of Cinderella (which seems to fit the song lyric as the ugly sisters are usually played by middle aged men), come to think of it there are lines later in the song about a fairy and going to the ball which also fit this theme.

If I remember rightly this was something to do with MKs days at The Chronicle....but yes quite fitting with the Pantomime theme!!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2021, 12:55:58 AM »
Another song which has a tenuous Christmas connection is One More Matinee, the line 'we're proud to be the oldest ugly sisters in variety' makes me think of the pantomime versions of Cinderella (which seems to fit the song lyric as the ugly sisters are usually played by middle aged men), come to think of it there are lines later in the song about a fairy and going to the ball which also fit this theme.
Good point!

Although I always thought they really were women… did women used to be the ugly sisters?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2021, 07:28:02 AM »
Good point!

Although I always thought they really were women… did women used to be the ugly sisters?

With reference to Pantomime:
The ugly stepsisters are characters in the fairy tale and pantomime, Cinderella. They are the daughters of Cinderella's wicked stepmother, who treat her poorly.
Traditionally, the two stepsisters are played by men (although in some adaptions, they are played by women, whereas in others they are played by a man and a woman)

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2021, 12:06:32 PM »
'Yon Two Crows' - Is Probably more of a 'Winter' tune more than a specific Christmas tune but I have this vision of a Farmer along with his trusty Border Collie trudging the hills in search of his sheep on a typical Winters Snowy day.....I cannot help think of that with this masterpiece....

'Or yon two crows up over the hill
Looking for winterkill'

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2021, 12:10:54 PM »
What it is - has lots of reference to being a song set in Edinburgh during the Winter.....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2021, 12:19:46 PM »
What it is - has lots of reference to being a song set in Edinburgh during the Winter.....

Frost on the monuments. 
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2021, 12:22:20 PM »

If I remember rightly this was something to do with MKs days at The Chronicle....but yes quite fitting with the Pantomime theme!!

No, it was when he was a junior reporter on The Yorkshire Evening Post in Leeds.  He went to interview the ugly sisters at The City Varieties theatre where they were playing Cinderella.
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2021, 12:23:05 PM »

No, it was when he was a junior reporter on The Yorkshire Evening Post in Leeds.  He went to interview the ugly sisters at The City Varieties theatre where they were playing Cinderella.

Ah brilliant - thanks superval.... :wave

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2021, 12:24:33 PM »

Frost on the monuments.

'And it's cold on the tollgate'

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2021, 12:27:57 PM »
So with many contributions the MK 'Christmas/Winter Playlist looks like this so far....

What it is,
Corned Beef City,
One more Matinee,
5.15am,
Vic & Ray,
Skydiver,
Yon Two Crows,
River Towns,
Hard Shoulder,
Radio City Serenade,
The Ragpickers Dream,
Hard Shoulder,
Matchstick Man,
Secondary Waltz,
Old Pigweed,
After the Beanstalk

« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 12:33:52 PM by Knopflerfan »

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2021, 02:02:12 PM »
Winters covers between December and February. I think that mentioning winter is not enough to think about Christmas as a connection.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2021, 03:38:12 PM »
Winters covers between December and February.

and even the first 3 weeks in march  ;)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2021, 03:39:21 PM »
Winters covers between December and February. I think that mentioning winter is not enough to think about Christmas as a connection.

If we are going to be picky about it, Winter is actually December to March....
Advent is the end of November to 24th December, Christmas is 25th December to 6th January so the mention of winter alone is good with me...

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2021, 04:36:55 PM »

Indeed it is....

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2021, 05:15:17 PM »

Indeed it is....

that's why I think we're wrong when we say the seasons in the order : spring-summer-autumn-winter
if you look at the calendar, winter has only 10 days at the end of the year, while its most improtant part is at the start of the year
so the "correct" order of seasons during a year should be : winter-spring-summer-autumn  ;D

well, in fact the most logical thing should have been to start the year when the spring starts. And then, the winter would have been at the end of the year, and all would have been fine  :D

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 38 queries.