Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New for 2022  (Read 72128 times)

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
Re: New for 2022
« Reply #225 on: February 15, 2022, 11:30:13 PM »
The release strategy was always based on touring, but now that there won’t be any tour, and the session only takes 4 weeks, 2023 seems very far away. 

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #226 on: February 15, 2022, 11:36:26 PM »
The release strategy was always based on touring, but now that there won’t be any tour, and the session only takes 4 weeks, 2023 seems very far away.

Exactly  :(
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #227 on: February 16, 2022, 08:12:12 AM »

Probably when they went to hire the production plants for cds and lps they found out those were so busy that it won't be possible to have the record made until next year.

It's happening to most artists these days.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineGIUMK

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #228 on: February 16, 2022, 09:17:37 AM »
But what if the reason is that this year he will publish something in the name of Dire Straits? :think

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #229 on: February 16, 2022, 09:49:48 AM »
But what if the reason is that this year he will publish something in the name of Dire Straits? :think

who knows.

:lol :lol :lol

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #230 on: February 16, 2022, 09:55:18 AM »
Given how MK enjoyed recording and crafting his albums in the past a release of his next solo album in 2022 was never realistic.
I had to chuckle at TK's Henrik Hansen-like line "no release date is available but it is likely to be towards the end of this year at the earliest".
After recording sessions are over MK likes to take (maybe too much) time to fiddle around with mixing, correcting test pressings etc.
I had small hopes that things would be different this time when in March 2020 he posted "I aim to be back in the studio recording songs as soon as possible". I hoped he would have sensed and realised how much people craved for new music from him in these scaring covid times.
But it turned out just about everything else musicwise (charity CD, contributions, etc.) was more important than recording his own songs for his next solo album. And when they postponed the recording sessions last autumn it was clear the album is on the back burner and won't see a release in 2022.
So unfortunatelly a much needed and longed for help in troubled times is still a year away...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 11:06:28 AM by skydiver »

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #231 on: February 16, 2022, 10:20:47 AM »
This is really disappointing, I am not going to speculate as to the 2023 release, as we just don't know the answer, but it is a long time away.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #232 on: February 16, 2022, 10:43:11 AM »
I agree with you Skydiver. It is difficult to keep up positivity with a timeline like this. I think it would be possible with a release late this year if they really wanted to, pandemic or not. It is probably a stupid thing to say when I know very little about the business, but when other musicians can do it, why can't he. I think most other musicians need to set more deadlines than he does, to make deals with studios, order LPs, and everything that the management do.
I will cling to the studio diary  :-\

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #233 on: February 16, 2022, 10:59:04 AM »
I agree with you Skydiver. It is difficult to keep up positivity with a timeline like this. I think it would be possible with a release late this year if they really wanted to, pandemic or not. It is probably a stupid thing to say when I know very little about the business, but when other musicians can do it, why can't he. I think most other musicians need to set more deadlines than he does, to make deals with studios, order LPs, and everything that the management do.
I will cling to the studio diary  :-\

You make some good points. Of course none of us really knows about the business and the real reasons why it will take him four and a half years to release his next album.
My point is that Mark and Guy have a fine perception and know very well how much it means to so many people what they do.
I am certain they are aware how grateful we would have been for just about anything they would have given us as a small relief during these last two years of worrying.
But all we got was "can't say" and "coming soon".
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 11:19:22 AM by skydiver »

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #234 on: February 16, 2022, 11:36:00 AM »
Guy already stated that producing lp records is delayed a lot and that would affect the release...

Offlinenaif

• Camerado
« Reply #235 on: February 16, 2022, 11:36:47 AM »
Unbelievable. awful news. A 5-year hiatus after DTRW. 5 years is a very long time for someone Mark's age. We know that there were many songs that he did record and not release in his long career. I wish they would at least sell these songs online.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #236 on: February 16, 2022, 11:45:58 AM »
Unbelievable. awful news. A 5-year hiatus after DTRW. 5 years is a very long time for someone Mark's age. We know that there were many songs that he did record and not release in his long career. I wish they would at least sell these songs online.

Yes, this is a huge gap. I'm afraid that Mark is also really afraid of the diminishing amount of time he has left (he already said it while making Privateering and it was already 10 (!) years ago). And I think this album is going to be one of his best, also maybe, and it's always a possibility, it may be his last. Who knows? So with all this information in mind, I can wait for 10 years, as long as the end product will be good. The last thing you want to do here is to rush things.

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #237 on: February 16, 2022, 11:51:18 AM »

These two years of pandemic had contributed to slow things more... Maybe without this, the hiatus would had been 3 years or 2 only.

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #238 on: February 16, 2022, 11:52:56 AM »
Guy already stated that producing lp records is delayed a lot and that would affect the release...

The problem of delayed vinyl production is now known at least since 2017 with added covid circumstances in spring 2020.
It could have been considered long ago when planning the album release.
That's not a real reason.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 12:27:12 PM by skydiver »

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #239 on: February 16, 2022, 11:56:07 AM »
That was my point too :), that they know it is a long waiting time for LPs and need to have that in mind. If I understand correctly, it has been like this for a while now.
To release the album on CD, and of course online, seems like a better solution to me than to postpone the whole thing for months and months for those few people that buy a LP.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 11:59:03 AM by Elin N »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 36 queries.