Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New for 2022  (Read 72157 times)

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
Re: New for 2022
« Reply #375 on: July 09, 2022, 05:02:03 PM »
Some months ago I got a gossip from someone, who obviusly I can't mention, very close to MK and his people, and looks like MK is very determined that concerts are over, but his management and musicians, whenever they can, try to convince him, very carefully, about doing at least some gigs when the new record comes out, but looks like right now, there are very few chances that happens.

I truly hoped that, after gather with his band, recording the songs, he might changed his mind, but by now it didn't. I still hope that when the record comes out, he feels like playing some gigs and present those songs live, even a small number of gigs, but I'm kind of negative about it.

Thanks for sharing this info with us, although it is very sad news.
I had secret hopes that in August we would hear some kind of tour announcement for 2023.
Even Issy posted last year "how I miss being down the road wherever"...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #376 on: July 09, 2022, 08:00:40 PM »
Some months ago I got a gossip from someone, who obviusly I can't mention, very close to MK and his people, and looks like MK is very determined that concerts are over, but his management and musicians, whenever they can, try to convince him, very carefully, about doing at least some gigs when the new record comes out, but looks like right now, there are very few chances that happens.

I truly hoped that, after gather with his band, recording the songs, he might changed his mind, but by now it didn't. I still hope that when the record comes out, he feels like playing some gigs and present those songs live, even a small number of gigs, but I'm kind of negative about it.

I think that's both good and sad news at the same time.  No fan wants Mark performing again at a lower level than in 2019 and he isn't going to be better.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #377 on: July 09, 2022, 08:10:02 PM »

Thanks for the info. In my view he just knows he can't do it. He aged terribly after the Tracker tour, and when the promo for DTRW began, he could barely walk. I remember watching MK at Imaginaction 2018, in Cesena, he was overweight and he was limping out of the stage at the end of the event. It was the same in Lisbon and Cordoba 2019. He certainly has back problems, and maybe something on his hip or legs, I don't know.

It's hard to admit, but I feel the same. A new series of concerts would most certainly damage his reputation. Additional musicians and some old and forgotten tunes saved the last tour, but we saw a different MK. Sure, he got a little rustier on each tour, but the difference between 2015 and 2019 was huge. It's not only his back, but his fingers resist as well. In 2015, he could still deliver with attitude; in 2019, he behaved so old, and I felt the need to play was gone. I'm afraid of whatever we may see in 2023. I actually hope his inner circle doesn't push too hard. I guess all these top-class musicians, who have known him for years, also see that the live act has ended.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #378 on: July 09, 2022, 08:13:54 PM »

Thanks for the info. In my view he just knows he can't do it. He aged terribly after the Tracker tour, and when the promo for DTRW began, he could barely walk. I remember watching MK at Imaginaction 2018, in Cesena, he was overweight and he was limping out of the stage at the end of the event. It was the same in Lisbon and Cordoba 2019. He certainly has back problems, and maybe something on his hip or legs, I don't know.

I’m afraid it’s worse than that, unfortunately. Being in pain and ageing do decrease your playing levels but it seems to go beyond that. Mark had perfect timing and impeccable rhythm chops but over the years he became more and more… late on some notes and even on entire licks.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #379 on: July 09, 2022, 09:30:25 PM »
I remember being quite disappointed in 2013.

I don't think I liked 100 % of the setlist from any tour but this one is the  tour when for me the number of cons had become very challenging regarding the pros.

I remember  my first show wondering song after song why I was there.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #380 on: July 10, 2022, 08:38:19 AM »
I feel very sad that I may not see MK play live again, but I know it's for the best.  There was a big deterioration from 2015 to 2019 and by 2023 I fear it would be much worse.   I'm so grateful that I was able to see him playing live so many times.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #381 on: July 10, 2022, 11:44:00 AM »
I still hope MK will do (a few) live performances to promote the new album.

OfflineGIUMK

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #382 on: July 10, 2022, 11:58:46 AM »
Hi everyone!
I ask you a question.  If Mark will no longer perform concerts, does it mean that the new album will be a radio album so that he can sell a lot and compensate for the missed revenues from the concerts?  What do you think?

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #383 on: July 10, 2022, 12:02:24 PM »
Hi everyone!
I ask you a question.  If Mark will no longer perform concerts, does it mean that the new album will be a radio album so that he can sell a lot and compensate for the missed revenues from the concerts?  What do you think?

That's very possible, especially with Guy on board. He can produce an extremely radio-friendly album. But I hope that won't be the case.

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #384 on: July 10, 2022, 12:08:36 PM »
Hi everyone!

Mark has never written or recorded music to be radio friendly.
I think it is completely out of the question that he will now do something to please or accommodate anyone.
So far there is no official statement neither from MK management nor from Guy that he will play no more concerts.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #385 on: July 10, 2022, 02:30:36 PM »
Wasn't Making Movies a radio friendly album?
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Onlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #386 on: July 10, 2022, 02:54:13 PM »
Hi everyone!

I think it is completely out of the question that he will now do something to please or accommodate anyone.
So far there is no official statement neither from MK management nor from Guy that he will play no more concerts.
There is no need for a statement. He told every audience during the DTRW tour that he was thinking of retiring. Although he kind of softened his position later on, the intention was still there.
I completely understand the people who want him to do more concerts, but do you really want to see Mark struggle to play almost every song? In 2019 he stopped playing the solo in the outro of Sailing to Philadelphia and decided to add the sax at the end to disguise it; he struggled to play the outro solo to R&J, and so after a few concerts he cut it down and ended it without playing the trademark last lick in the solo; My Bacon Roll got disguised with the other instruments, Bonaparte slowed down; forgot the lyrics to HFOH quite a few times; some versions of Speedway at Nazareth were not good and he butchered the intro to MFN at least twice, that I remember. Brothers in Arms solo simplified... The tour also had its good moments, of course, but the clues that he can't play live anymore are endless. And that's fine, he's almost 73. I'm just not sure we, as a community of fans, want to see more of this. I would rather that he would concentrate on doing what he still does better than anyone, which is to write songs and make records.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 03:07:58 PM by rmarques821 »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #387 on: July 10, 2022, 03:08:51 PM »
Hi everyone!

There is no need for a statement. He told every audience during the DTRW tour that he was thinking of retiring. Although he kind of softened his position later on, the intention was still there.

He said in some interviews that, when it will come time to talk about a tour, he just won't talk about it. I think he understands that any statement will push his popularity even further (Mark Knopfler himself retires!), but I honestly don't think it will be a statement akin to Paul Simon's retirement from touring statement. But I think he will do occasional shows anyway, just not this 80-shows-in-a-row thing.

Onlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #388 on: July 10, 2022, 03:12:39 PM »
Hi everyone!

He said in some interviews that, when it will come time to talk about a tour, he just won't talk about it. I think he understands that any statement will push his popularity even further (Mark Knopfler himself retires!), but I honestly don't think it will be a statement akin to Paul Simon's retirement from touring statement. But I think he will do occasional shows anyway, just not this 80-shows-in-a-row thing.
I'm a bit more pessimistic in that regard, Pavel. But we will see  :)

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #389 on: July 10, 2022, 03:37:02 PM »
Wasn't Making Movies a radio friendly album?

Brothers In Arms more.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 37 queries.