Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Teenage Cancer Trust /Buddy Holly Fundation charity project  (Read 70053 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Teenage Cancer Trust /Buddy Holly Fundation charity project
« Reply #300 on: February 03, 2024, 11:45:52 AM »
Today it's the anniversary of Buddy Holly dead, it would be a great day to announce the record.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #301 on: February 03, 2024, 11:52:09 AM »
Just about every drummer of note hails Ringo as of the greatest ever. Seems to me that anyone who doesn’t rate him really doesn’t have a clue.

It was fantastic to see him in Get Back. He would sit patiently for ages while the others noodled and came up with stuff, then come right in with the perfect drum part. Every single time.

+1000 :thumbsup

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #302 on: February 03, 2024, 11:53:01 AM »
Absolutely. People who say bad things about this guy, or recite the famous "Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in The Beatles" joke have no clue whatsoever. But it's kinda obvious where the confusion comes from as well. His lines sound simple for the general public, but more importantly, he's got three butts of the giant singer-songwriters playing in front of him and getting all the attention (he often talks about this himself).

But if you dig in and compare his playing to all The Beatles drummers we have recordings of — Pete Best, Andy White, and Jimmie Nicol — Ringo puts them all to shame, and then some. And the story of how he made it to the band is interesting and dramatic. Just everything about Ringo is cool and interesting, and yes, on top of that, he's highly professional and creative as well. One of the greatest, no doubt about it.

exactly :thumbsup

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #303 on: February 03, 2024, 12:00:56 PM »
Today it's the anniversary of Buddy Holly dead, it would be a great day to announce the record.

The day the music died!!

What a huge influence he has had on so many people, and considering he died at 22 that is amazing. :clap You just imagine what he would have gone on to you, Mark even could have gone on to play with him.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #304 on: February 03, 2024, 02:39:30 PM »

The day the music died!!

What a huge influence he has had on so many people, and considering he died at 22 that is amazing. :clap You just imagine what he would have gone on to you, Mark even could have gone on to play with him.

He was influencial because it was NEW.

But after a few years  he would probably have become a legend from the glory days of Rock 'N' Roll as it happened to most of the stars of the 50's.

Look what happened to Chuck Berry and  Jerry Lee Lewis.
Look what happened to Elvis.

The 60's belongs to The Beatles and Bob Dylan.
The 70's went some other directions and that is life of the popular music.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #305 on: February 03, 2024, 10:38:13 PM »
Maybe, maybe not. The main strength of Buddy was his songwriting. Elvis and Jerry Lee relied on others for material (although Elvis wasn’t exactly unpopular and Jerry Lee transitioned into a huge country star). Chuck Berry was a fantastic songwriter but was kind of the architect of his own downfall with a massive chip on his shoulder.

So it’s possible Buddy could have been a success and moved with the times. Look at Paul Simon. Everly clone, Brill Building songwriter, folkie, folk rocker, singer songwriter, 80s globe trotting pop star.

Who knows.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #306 on: February 04, 2024, 08:40:17 PM »
I can't think of any Rock N Roll songwriter that kept getting success over that era.

Ironicaly Chuck Berry was among the last ones with original material being successful until the mid sixties.

Irony again : in 1972, Elvis Presley "almost" topped one last time the rock oriented chart with "Burning Love" [not written for him but who remember that it was first recorded by legendary Arthur Alexander?]
Yes irony because the one who prevented him to reach the number one slot was Chuck Berry 's cover of My Ding-a-Ling.

Enjoy

« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 09:06:00 PM by ds1984 »
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #307 on: February 04, 2024, 10:06:35 PM »
I’m not sure what you class as success.

Elvis was still one of the biggest stars in the world and Jerry Lee was having number one US country singles.

Just because they weren’t as big on the pop charts as they were 20 years previously doesn’t mean they weren’t still successful. Anyway, we are straying from the point, my point was that Buddy was almost unique in that era in writing his own songs, so he could well have continued to do so.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #308 on: February 06, 2024, 04:18:05 PM »
Guy is saying there is good chance he will put out a diary of this project. Also good news  :thumbsup

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #309 on: February 06, 2024, 04:29:05 PM »
Guy is saying there is good chance he will put out a diary of this project. Also good news  :thumbsup

Diary coming very soon.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #311 on: February 08, 2024, 08:42:42 AM »
Huge story in The Times today.

MUSIC
From Ringo to Ronnie, the 54 rock gods on Mark Knopfler’s new song
new
The Dire Straits man has assembled Guitar Heroes, arguably the greatest supergroup yet, in the name of fighting cancer. How many can you name?

Bruce Springsteen, Nile Rodgers, Ronnie Wood, Joan Armatrading and Brian May are just some of the guitarists squeezed into the nine-minute instrumental. The rest are below
Bruce Springsteen, Nile Rodgers, Ronnie Wood, Joan Armatrading and Brian May are just some of the guitarists squeezed into the nine-minute instrumental. The rest are below
David Sanderson
, Arts Correspondent |
Jack Malvern
Thursday February 08 2024, 6.47am GMT, The Times

Save

There is a Beatle on drums, the Who’s singer on harmonica, Sting on bass and nearly every one of the world’s greatest living rock guitarists strumming along. Welcome to the supergroup Mark Knopfler’s Guitar Heroes.

An unprecedented line-up of guitarists including David Gilmour, Eric Clapton and Bruce Springsteen has been assembled to record a new version of Mark Knopfler’s Going Home (Theme of the Local Hero).

The nine-minute instrumental even begins with the final recording of the late Jeff Beck.

Best of Times Our flagship newsletter featuring our top stories and analysis, delivered every morning. Sign up with one click
Beck is joined by the Rolling Stone Ronnie Wood, Slash from Guns N’ Roses, Brian May from Queen and dozens of others for the track, which is being released to raise money for Teenage Cancer Trust and the British charity’s American equivalent.

“I think what we’ve had is an embarrassment of riches really,” Knopfler said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Others in the all-star line up include Pete Townshend, Ry Cooder, Sheryl Crow, Sam Fender, Nile Rodgers and Joan Armatrading, while Ringo Starr, the Beatles drummer, alternates with his son Zak Starkey on drums. Roger Daltrey, the Who’s lead singer, is on harmonica.

The recording was knitted together by Guy Fletcher, Knopfler’s long-time collaborator, who edited live sessions in a London recording studio together with contributions sent from around the world.

Mark Knopfler’s Guitar Heroes lured Sir Peter Blake into replicating his iconic 1967 album cover for the Beatles’ Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band for a new artwork featuring all the contributors.

The original song was composed by Knopfler, the Dire Straits guitarist, for the 1983 film Local Hero starring Burt Lancaster and Peter Capaldi and which earned the musician a Bafta nomination.

Knopfler said on Wednesday that he wanted to thank all the musicians for their “sterling response”.

“I really had no idea that it was going to be like this,” the 74-year-old said.

Knopfler added that he and Fletcher realised they would have “to extend this piece somehow, to take in the number of people who joined in”. He said Townshend — who along with his Who bandmate Daltrey, the honorary patron of Teenage Cancer Trust, is a co-founder of Teen Cancer America — had been one of the first on board.

“Before I knew where I was, Pete Townshend had come into my studio armed with a guitar and an amp,” Knopfler said.

ADVERTISEMENT

“And that first Pete power chord … man, I tell you. We were in that territory, and it was just fantastic.

“And it went on from there. Eric [Clapton] came in, played great, just one tasty lick after another. Then Jeff Beck’s contribution arrived and that was spellbinding.

“I think what we’ve had is an embarrassment of riches, really. The whole thing was a high point.”

Going Home, written by Knopfler in the early Eighties, is a soaring instrumental track played before matches at Newcastle United’s St James’ Park
Going Home, written by Knopfler in the early Eighties, is a soaring instrumental track played before matches at Newcastle United’s St James’ Park
REDFERNS
While there have been supergroups before such as the Traveling Wilburys — which featured Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Roy Orbison and Tom Petty — there does not appear to have been one with such a stellar line-up of guitarists.

The 1984 Band Aid line-up rivals it in star power but its cast was mainly made up of singers, such as Bono, George Michael and Paul Weller, alongside a small group of instrumentalists.

• The 20 greatest guitarists of all time

Another contender for the world’s greatest supergroup could be the band assembled at Madison Square Gardens in 1992 for a Bob Dylan 30th anniversary celebration.

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #312 on: February 08, 2024, 08:44:23 AM »
Sorry about the formatting above - The Times doesn’t make it easy to copy’n’paste. And you’re missing lots of good photos, not least the cover art. Rest assured this rates just below royal illnesses in today’s paper.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #313 on: February 08, 2024, 08:47:53 AM »
Can't believe that the WHOLE project that took around TWO YEARS is just ONE SONG, that we all know, like GOING HOME!!!!!

It doesn't matter that is 9 minutes long and all those musicians played it, this is the biggest dissapoinment ever.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #314 on: February 08, 2024, 08:55:26 AM »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 39 queries.