Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Teenage Cancer Trust /Buddy Holly Fundation charity project  (Read 69919 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Teenage Cancer Trust /Buddy Holly Fundation charity project
« Reply #600 on: March 03, 2024, 12:18:19 PM »
Don't forget, this version takes 10 minutes!! There's going to be a lot going on. Perhaps there will be improvisations and moments that do not resemble the main theme. But the final will be powerful.

Personally, just listening that one minute piece makes me think that's too much people playing the same in different ways and it's kind of boring (again for me) with just one minute, I'm quite sure that I'm only listening that 10 minutes version a couple of times and probably won't never listen to it again.

But of course I'm buying all the formats and probably more than once as the charity is very important and that's actually the best of this ten minutes mess song (again, my opinion).
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #601 on: March 03, 2024, 12:56:23 PM »
Seems MK and Guy really had a lot of fun yesterday!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #602 on: March 03, 2024, 01:29:09 PM »
Haha! That's of course funny. I never thought I'll see Mark laughing and holding a T-shirt with his name, what a time to be alive. It has to be one of the first times of Mark supporting football so hard? I mean he is a fan obviously and they played his song for eternity, I'm not sure I saw him on the field like this.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 01:31:38 PM by quizzaciously »

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #603 on: March 03, 2024, 01:33:24 PM »
Looks like Mark has now adopted the pork pie hat!

That’s not a pork pie hat :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #604 on: March 03, 2024, 01:57:40 PM »
Looks like Mark has now adopted the pork pie hat!

That’s not a pork pie hat :)

Not remotely. It’s not quite a traditional flat cap either.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #605 on: March 03, 2024, 02:03:54 PM »
Haha! That's of course funny. I never thought I'll see Mark laughing and holding a T-shirt with his name, what a time to be alive. It has to be one of the first times of Mark supporting football so hard? I mean he is a fan obviously and they played his song for eternity, I'm not sure I saw him on the field like this.

He said himself that he attended games and usually when he goes the team wins, lol

I even remember once when Gullit was the Newcastle manager, that Going Home was left out of the songs the team played when the players went into the pitch and he didn't like that Gullit made that but took it with a smile.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #606 on: March 03, 2024, 02:09:00 PM »
I think Jeff Beck's solo will be unique and noticeable.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #607 on: March 03, 2024, 02:12:54 PM »

He said himself that he attended games and usually when he goes the team wins, lol

I even remember once when Gullit was the Newcastle manager, that Going Home was left out of the songs the team played when the players went into the pitch and he didn't like that Gullit made that but took it with a smile.

I’ve been to game at St James’s and it was a season where they decided to “modernise” and ditch Going Home. They did play it at half time.

I believe the fans complained and it was reinstated the following season.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #608 on: March 03, 2024, 02:35:47 PM »

I’ve been to game at St James’s and it was a season where they decided to “modernise” and ditch Going Home. They did play it at half time.

I believe the fans complained and it was reinstated the following season.

If there was an award for stupidity, the guy who's cancelled Going Home from playing on Newcastle games would definitely take it. Modernise my ass!

Online2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #609 on: March 03, 2024, 02:39:11 PM »
The end product of these things isn’t really the point.

The version of Knocking on Heavens Door for Dunblane was not a good record, but it served it’s purpose.

Exactly. The key word is 'Charity'.

Would some of the critics on here stand by the sidelines of a charitable event yelling 'You're not running fast enough', 'Don't like the colour if your trainers', or 'The beans in your bathtub are the wrong temperature'. Of course not, that would be the hight of pedantry.

Buy it or don't, listen to it once or a thousand times. Like it or hate it, it really doesn't matter. The only thing that does is the money that this raises and the lives it will change....

If there would be a fan forum for such a charity event to have discussions and opinions, and we were waiting 2 years for it to happen, while it was a top-secret project for no reason, then maybe yes, I would yell such things. I'm not living on a rainbow and I'm not a fan of seeing an army of multi-millionaires who's worth billions of dollars coming together to record a questionable $0.99 single for a charity to raise maybe 1/5 of a million at best. Embarrassment of riches.

I can equally attack the critics of the critics, as you all seem too aggressive in your comments. Chill out, it's just a charity single. At least we start to agree it's more a music business project than a music project. But Mark hates the music business, and seeing him suddenly doing music business things is just... sad. I just wish him to do better than that. Trust me, when people say they want to hear Mark Knopfler and David Gilmour playing together, this is not what they mean.

'Questionable'? Surely this is trolling? Can you please let us know next time you do something for a good cause so we can point out all its flaws and inconsistencies....
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 02:43:17 PM by 2manyguitars »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #610 on: March 03, 2024, 02:48:16 PM »
'Questionable'? Surely this is trolling? Can you please let us know next time you do something for a good cause so we can point out all its flaws and inconsistencies....

You are more than welcome. I just thought about bringing together 60 pianists to play Sergei Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 3 for charity, it should be a lot of fun.

Online2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #611 on: March 03, 2024, 03:04:03 PM »

You are more than welcome. I just thought about bringing together 60 pianists to play Sergei Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 3 for charity, it should be a lot of fun.

So what about Guitars on the beach?

https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/guitars-on-the-beach 

Over 2000 people playing together for good causes. By your logic we should be criticising it because it sounds rubbish. Should we question the motives of the organisers?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 03:06:37 PM by 2manyguitars »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #612 on: March 03, 2024, 03:21:38 PM »

Over 2000 people playing together for good causes. By your logic we should be criticising it because it sounds rubbish. Should we question the motives of the organisers?

This discussion reminds me when Ralph Fiennes was asked about how it felt to put on nazi uniform on the set of Schindler's List for the first time. His answer was: It felt great, it's a very well-made, comfortable Hugo Boss uniform, you feel powerful wearing it. Now, is Ralph Fiennes a Nazi for saying that?

No, he just answers the question and separates the terms Nazi uniform from their doings. Likewise, you can look at this new Going Home version from standpoint of independent creation and a charity effort. As a charity effort, it rocks. As a creation it likely sucks, this is all I wanted to say.

Online2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #613 on: March 03, 2024, 03:43:57 PM »

This discussion reminds me when Ralph Fiennes was asked about how it felt to put on nazi uniform on the set of Schindler's List for the first time. His answer was: It felt great, it's a very well-made, comfortable Hugo Boss uniform, you feel powerful wearing it. Now, is Ralph Fiennes a Nazi for saying that?

No, he just answers the question and separates the terms Nazi uniform from their doings. Likewise, you can look at this new Going Home version from standpoint of independent creation and a charity effort. As a charity effort, it rocks. As a creation it likely sucks, this is all I wanted to say.

Nice evasion there. You know what people say about debate/discussion when the Nazis are mentioned.

But you said a lot more than that. You questioned the motives of 'the army of millionaires' involved and claimed that this was 'a music business project'.

I still want to know, would you stand at Guitars on the beach, or a hurricane relief benefit, or even the TCT concert series itself and criticise?

I attended last years TCT and much of the music wasn't particularly to my taste but I wouldn't dream of criticising what they were doing, not for one minute....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #614 on: March 03, 2024, 03:48:42 PM »
As a charity effort, it rocks. As a creation it likely sucks, this is all I wanted to say.

Exactly, fully agree

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 39 queries.