Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Teenage Cancer Trust /Buddy Holly Fundation charity project  (Read 70023 times)

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
Re: Teenage Cancer Trust /Buddy Holly Fundation charity project
« Reply #615 on: March 03, 2024, 04:39:22 PM »
The Facebook asslickers will be having a field day with this thread!

For any anonymous Facebook suck up lurkers outraged, fuck you, this is AMIT, and free speech rules supreme here  :)

Ah you said it so well  :lol :lol I couldn't agree more. If we are not to have different opinions, then what. Notice that on Face, someone has actually complained about Guy being there!  :hmm Yesterday was a very plesant surprise to me, I loved it! It was really nice to see them together, smiling and supporting eachother  :D Yesterday evening it occured to me that I hadn't expected him to play, I have fully accepted that he won't do that anymore <3

I hope this project will get massive coverage, I think everybody agrees about one thing; cancer sucks.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 04:46:59 PM by Elin N »

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #616 on: March 03, 2024, 07:20:32 PM »
I love the jacket MK wore in the stadium. Anyone know where I can get one like that?

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #617 on: March 03, 2024, 07:35:23 PM »
Just checked, it is the same as he wore in Norway in 2015  :)  and I don't think it was new then. A quality jacket, it still looks good!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #618 on: March 03, 2024, 08:18:29 PM »
At first I thought it was the same jacket as in 2009. (PRS for Music Heritage Award)  :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #619 on: March 03, 2024, 08:36:25 PM »
This discussion reminds me when Ralph Fiennes was asked about how it felt to put on nazi uniform on the set of Schindler's List for the first time. His answer was: It felt great, it's a very well-made, comfortable Hugo Boss uniform, you feel powerful wearing it. Now, is Ralph Fiennes a Nazi for saying that?

No, he just answers the question and separates the terms Nazi uniform from their doings. Likewise, you can look at this new Going Home version from standpoint of independent creation and a charity effort. As a charity effort, it rocks. As a creation it likely sucks, this is all I wanted to say.

Nice evasion there. You know what people say about debate/discussion when the Nazis are mentioned.

But you said a lot more than that. You questioned the motives of 'the army of millionaires' involved and claimed that this was 'a music business project'.

I still want to know, would you stand at Guitars on the beach, or a hurricane relief benefit, or even the TCT concert series itself and criticise?

I attended last years TCT and much of the music wasn't particularly to my taste but I wouldn't dream of criticising what they were doing, not for one minute....

The accent in my message wasn't on the nazis at all. If you want to accent the nazis in my message I think the problem here is not with me.

In my beliefs nothing, even religion, is safe from humour and criticism. Except, of course, for Muslims — these guys I respect a great deal, don't mess with them. Nothing sacrilegious in criticising a charity. It's done by human beings, and human beings are not perfect. The best charity is the one that's done without public attention anyway. Maybe Mark donated half of his fortune to charities like Bill Gates and we don't even know about it.

But this charity is incredibly public. I'm, like many people here, torn between appreciating the cause and appreciating the result, as I described in my previous message. I'm not criticising the cause, I'm criticising the "tool" they came up with to do the charity. And I do think it could've been done way better than just replaying an instrumental tune from 1983 with a bunch of guitar players. And better execution would actually yield MORE MONEY for the charity.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #620 on: March 03, 2024, 08:47:15 PM »
Sorry, but the premiere of the single Going Home is in two weeks. I suggest a little patience.
Clear as the day

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #621 on: March 03, 2024, 08:57:57 PM »
Sorry, but the premiere of the single Going Home is in two weeks. I suggest a little patience.

Oh, trust me, there'll be even more wars going on after the release. Brace yourself :lol

That's okay. I think people just confuse the discussion of the cause with the discussion of the music. It's two completely different things. My whole point is you should discuss both, not focus on one aspect of it. Charities can be done the awesome way too, there are so many examples. And with music, I would almost always would rather choose a live performance than a simple recording. Imagine if Live Aid was an album, lol.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #622 on: March 03, 2024, 09:02:33 PM »

Oh, trust me, there'll be even more wars going on after the release. Brace yourself :lol

That's okay. I think people just confuse the discussion of the cause with the discussion of the music. It's two completely different things. My whole point is you should discuss both, not focus on one aspect of it. Charities can be done the awesome way too, there are so many examples. And with music, I would almost always would rather choose a live performance than a simple recording. Imagine if Live Aid was an album, lol.

Yes it's true. I'm ready:) Sometimes I'm afraid to write something positive :) But the discussion on March 15 will be more credible.
Clear as the day

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #623 on: March 03, 2024, 09:12:27 PM »

Yes it's true. I'm ready:) Sometimes I'm afraid to write something positive :) But the discussion on March 15 will be more credible.

Afraid to write something positive? As someone who barely survives each time after writing something negative here, I can tell you — I wish I'd find something positive to say instead :lol Life is so much easier if you just accept stuff. I just took a look at the list of charity singles in history and I honestly can't find an instrumental song in there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charity_record

You can't believe how much I would want to hear a voice in Mark Knopfler's penned charity single. His voice, or somebody else's. I just want to hear a human voice...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 09:22:35 PM by quizzaciously »

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #624 on: March 03, 2024, 09:16:30 PM »
Aah... Living Doll by Cliff Richard and the Young Ones. Loved that one. Goes off immediately in my mind ...  ;D

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #625 on: March 03, 2024, 09:20:18 PM »
"Afraid to write something positive? As someone who barely survives each time after writing something negative here"

You see, it works both ways:)
Clear as the day

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #626 on: March 03, 2024, 09:21:45 PM »
Just checked, it is the same as he wore in Norway in 2015  :)  and I don't think it was new then. A quality jacket, it still looks good!
Thanks for the heads up, but I can't find any picture of him wearing it in Norway 2015. Have you got any pictures you can share?
Looks great on him, I really want to buy a similar one!  ;D

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #627 on: March 03, 2024, 09:29:13 PM »

Yes but as I have pointed out numerous times you weren't just criticising the music, you were criticising the motives of the people involved.
You also completely misunderstood my reply regarding your Nazi comparison. Look up Godwins law...

Oh and you still haven't really answered my question.in reference to those other charities.

My final question to you (because personally I find this discussion rather dispiriting and disappointing). You talk of tools, so I give you 2 options. One a new mk song with his best guitar work in 30 years, the other  LH. One will raise Millions of £, the other significantly less. One will save the lives of 500 kids, one 100.

The music is completely secondary here.

Which tool are you going to choose....

« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 10:25:46 PM by 2manyguitars »

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #628 on: March 03, 2024, 09:31:35 PM »
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #629 on: March 03, 2024, 09:41:33 PM »

Thanks for that, lovely little segment. Hopefully this will absolutely sell in bucketloads...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 39 queries.