Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark Knopfler Solo Album Elimination Poll - Round 8  (Read 4930 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Mark Knopfler Solo Album Elimination Poll - Round 8
« on: January 23, 2022, 09:14:03 AM »
And so onto the 8th and final round to find out the AMITers favourite MK solo album....
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Mark Knopfler Solo Album Elimination Poll - Round 8
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 10:54:12 PM »
Shock result on the cards?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 11:00:37 PM »
Shock result on the cards?

Maybe, just maybe Dusty...

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 10:13:39 AM »
Nah, STP is going to win. For sure.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 10:53:49 AM »

Who knows, who knows.... ;)
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 11:38:41 AM »

By the way, for me the best MK solo records are already gone, so I'm not gonna feel identified by any of these two, even I think that ShangriLa is better than STP, none of them are better for me than my favorites, that are gone.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 01:57:29 PM »
By the way, for me the best MK solo records are already gone, so I'm not gonna feel identified by any of these two, even I think that ShangriLa is better than STP, none of them are better for me than my favorites, that are gone.

Same for me. Get Lucky, Golden Heart and KTGC are my top 3. Shangri-La is OK to my ears but I prefer Sailing to Philadelphia so…

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 08:23:15 PM »

Oh I agree with you jbaent. I know my faves are already gone but at least Shangri-la has a chance perhaps...

Offline461oceanblvd

• Guitar George
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 10:29:19 PM »
I absolutely love Shangri-La and think it's his masterpiece. I'd go one step further and place it atop the list of ANY of his albums, DS included. It starts with his greatest musical accomplishment (5:15 AM) and features one stunning example of songcraft after another. His writing, playing, and even singing are in peak form on this album. Even the songs that feel like throwaways aren't. (I know some will definitely disagree, but that's the fun of this). And as an added bonus, his attempts at the blues work on this album. That's normally the one genre (I think) that eludes him (especially on later albums), but Sonny Liston (the perfect Knopflerian anti-hero) and Back to Tupelo are such great songs.

I so thoroughly enjoyed reading y'all's feedback on these polls. It's been a great diversion.

Cheers

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 10:46:57 PM »
I absolutely love Shangri-La and think it's his masterpiece. I'd go one step further and place it atop the list of ANY of his albums, DS included. It starts with his greatest musical accomplishment (5:15 AM) and features one stunning example of songcraft after another. His writing, playing, and even singing are in peak form on this album. Even the songs that feel like throwaways aren't. (I know some will definitely disagree, but that's the fun of this). And as an added bonus, his attempts at the blues work on this album. That's normally the one genre (I think) that eludes him (especially on later albums), but Sonny Liston (the perfect Knopflerian anti-hero) and Back to Tupelo are such great songs.

I so thoroughly enjoyed reading y'all's feedback on these polls. It's been a great diversion.

Cheers

Hello brother! I totally agree. On top of all that, Shangri-La is a perfectly recorded album as well and perfectly named after the studio. Everything's amazing about it, even the cover, even the promotional photoshoot was perfect. And promotional interview, too. Everything! And it's especially cool for me personally because I got to know Mark right in the heart of this album's release and Shangri-La tour. So if Shangri-La wins in any poll, I'm not surprised at all. This album is a masterpiece!

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 07:50:46 PM »

Cheers

Hello brother! I totally agree. On top of all that, Shangri-La is a perfectly recorded album as well and perfectly named after the studio. Everything's amazing about it, even the cover, even the promotional photoshoot was perfect. And promotional interview, too. Everything! And it's especially cool for me personally because I got to know Mark right in the heart of this album's release and Shangri-La tour. So if Shangri-La wins in any poll, I'm not surprised at all. This album is a masterpiece!

:clap
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 10:18:27 AM »
I'm pleased to see the love for Shangri La here. It's my favourite but doesn't get talked about much so I didn't think it was as highly regarded as it appears to be here.

STP might still come out on top but it's nice to see it's not the landslide jbaent was predicting!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 10:21:45 AM »
I'm pleased to see the love for Shangri La here. It's my favourite but doesn't get talked about much so I didn't think it was as highly regarded as it appears to be here.

STP might still come out on top but it's nice to see it's not the landslide jbaent was predicting!

I agree and even if STP wins, Shangri-La will always be the winner for me!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022, 10:40:59 AM »

I do guitar lessons on Mark's songs and naturally, I never planned this, but I almost covered every single Shangri-La song. I can't do Donegan's Gone yet becasue I don't have a spare guitar for slide playing, so apart from a couple of songs I covered it all. It just shows to me the incredible strength of all the songs on the album, even the "quiet" ones are amazing songs. And loud ones are so great you can listen to them on repeat. Music is subjective of course, but at least I have this funny additional metric to judge things.

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2022, 01:27:31 PM »

I do guitar lessons on Mark's songs and naturally, I never planned this, but I almost covered every single Shangri-La song. I can't do Donegan's Gone yet becasue I don't have a spare guitar for slide playing, so apart from a couple of songs I covered it all. It just shows to me the incredible strength of all the songs on the album, even the "quiet" ones are amazing songs. And loud ones are so great you can listen to them on repeat. Music is subjective of course, but at least I have this funny additional metric to judge things.

Two points to make on this fascinating post.
Firstly, I wonder how different the album would have been had MK not had the accident. I know he always takes his time but it feels like this one possibly “marinaded” a bit more.
Secondly-could you do a lesson on the rhythm part on Donegan’s Gone?
Richard’s part and the way he plays it looks quite involved (to me anyway.)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 37 queries.