Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The new songs - A hypothesis  (Read 21062 times)

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: The new songs - A hypothesis
« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2024, 04:05:17 PM »
Nice work, thank you. I would not give too much on Guy's version of "one take", as those are often on the albums but not necessarily are recognized as they still do heavy work over on them.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2024, 04:08:36 PM »
Am I the only one who doesn't care which take was used? Some of my favourite records have been messed about with for months in the studio!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2024, 04:15:51 PM »
Good summary SlowLearner:) And I wonder if John Bratby's painting will be used on the cover:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2024, 04:43:07 PM »
Good summary SlowLearner:) And I wonder if John Bratby's painting will be used on the cover:)

Why should it? KTGC already had one?

LE

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2024, 05:15:22 PM »

Why should it? KTGC already had one?

LE

We wondered about this on the forum once, because a new painting of Bratby's "Watching TV" appeared in the British Grove.
Clear as the day

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2024, 07:02:50 PM »
Am I the only one who doesn't care which take was used? Some of my favourite records have been messed about with for months in the studio!

You're not the only one, I hate it too. "First-take syndrome" seems to be very popular among musicians of all levels, and something they love to brag about for some reason. Even though Mark's musicians played so much and know so much they could probably record a song in their sleep, so bragging about first-take recording with musicians of this magnitude is like bragging that you are rich when you're Bill freakin' Gates.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2024, 08:13:02 PM »

You're not the only one, I hate it too. "First-take syndrome" seems to be very popular among musicians of all levels, and something they love to brag about for some reason. Even though Mark's musicians played so much and know so much they could probably record a song in their sleep, so bragging about first-take recording with musicians of this magnitude is like bragging that you are rich when you're Bill freakin' Gates.

Yeah, I always thought the "take one" bit at the start of You Can't Beat The House was cringeworthy.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2024, 09:09:40 AM »

Yeah, I always thought the "take one" bit at the start of You Can't Beat The House was cringeworthy.

I always found funny that "Hey... HEY" during the end of "Don't forget your hat", I always imagine the musicians falling sleep and MK shouting that to wake them up! LOL
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2024, 09:26:13 AM »
Just one of many MK blues songs that aren't really very good. Probably deserves its own thread...

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2024, 09:32:14 AM »
Just one of many MK blues songs that aren't really very good. Probably deserves its own thread...

Yeah, he is decent playing blues, but it's not his best. He's way better with folk and americana.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2024, 05:02:24 PM »

Yeah, he is decent playing blues, but it's not his best. He's way better with folk and americana.

I'll agree that the decision to mix some of these "unpolished" blues songs with the rest of, say, Privateering was questionable. But some of his blues songs, like Today Is Okay or Bluebird, are gorgeous. The one I really think is somewhat of a failure is Got to Have Something. This was obviously inspired by Dylan, with whom he toured back then, but it's something that Dylan and his band would have done much better. No problem, though, it's still okay to listen to, and Privateering remains a masterpiece.

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2024, 09:34:42 PM »
Today Guy has updated his Q&A. Suddenly I saw me and us all in the nearer future listening to the new album for the first time and thinking afterwards "so that's it? After six years? What else you've got?"  :lol

I must admit my expectations are very low. If there would be one or two really good songs on it, it would be fine with me. But even about that I am sceptical.

LE
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 09:44:46 PM by Love Expresso »

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2024, 10:07:34 PM »
It's a matter of attitude and how much skepticism and how much optimism we have.

GF:

The music of this year has a BIG heart.

These words can only make me happy :)
Clear as the day

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #118 on: January 17, 2024, 08:25:44 AM »
Today Guy has updated his Q&A. Suddenly I saw me and us all in the nearer future listening to the new album for the first time and thinking afterwards "so that's it? After six years? What else you've got?"  :lol

I must admit my expectations are very low. If there would be one or two really good songs on it, it would be fine with me. But even about that I am sceptical.

LE

Also my expectations, are not low, but down to earth, we know what MK is doing lately, Tracker, DTRW, that style, that mix of things is exactly what I'm expecting, and as far as I like a lot DTRW I think I'm ready to like what he delivers, lol

Onlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #119 on: January 17, 2024, 07:31:11 PM »
ANY new material from MK excites me. Can't wait to hear what he came up with this time.

He is a king of melody and I am looking forward to hear his new melodies, even if they remind his older ones. There is always something new, be it arrangement, choice of instruments, or interesting take on lyrics.
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 38 queries.