Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Local Hero at Chichester FEstival, October and November 2022  (Read 24073 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Local Hero at Chichester FEstival, October and November 2022
« Reply #180 on: November 04, 2022, 10:39:01 AM »
Local Hery entry on wikipedia has been updated but looks that who did it didn't know how to di it properly, if any of you know how to do it like the it should be, upload pictures etc, this is the url:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Hero_(musical)
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #181 on: November 07, 2022, 09:02:48 AM »
According to my booklet from the Edinburgh show, "I Wonder If I Can Go Home Again" was sung by Mistress Fraser (Wendy Somerville).  Was she  (Mistress Fraser) in the cast for Chichester or did Stella sing this song?   

At the moment this is the song that I like the best and it was sung beautifully in the Edinburgh show, but sadly mixed up with dialogue in Chichester.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 09:06:15 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #182 on: November 07, 2022, 09:06:50 AM »
According to my booklet from the Edinburgh show, "I Wonder If I Can Go Home Again" was sung by Mistress Fraser (Wendy Somerville).  Was she  (Mistress Fraser) in the cast for Chichester or did Stella sing this song?   

At the moment this is, for me, the song that I like the best and it was sung beautifully in the Edinburgh show, but sadly mixed up with dialogue in Chichester.

It was also sung by Mistress Fraser.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #183 on: November 07, 2022, 09:10:01 AM »

At the moment this is, for me, the song that I like the best and it was sung beautifully in the Edinburgh show, but sadly mixed up with dialogue in Chichester.

Thank you!    I hope they amend this eventually, because it is too beautiful to be interrupted by dialogue.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #184 on: November 07, 2022, 10:20:25 AM »

Thank you!    I hope they amend this eventually, because it is too beautiful to be interrupted by dialogue.

My favorites are "Houston, we have a problem", "What a life", "Rocks and water" and the new version of "Numbers" which is quite cool and better in my opinion from the one of Edinburgh. All of them have very very cool MK guitar licks and also are very recognizable as MK songs despite being part of a musical.

From the 2019 version I liked also "Aiming from the stars" which is no longer in the Chichester version. I understand it's not anymore as it was weird as an end, but I liked it anyway, quite hypnotich melodies on it.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #185 on: November 07, 2022, 01:34:32 PM »
From Guy's Forum today:

Q:   Hello Doc. Some friends attending Local Hero, I think last thursday, told me that there were cammeras at the theatre, that were not when I attented it during the last preview. Is anything planned with that? I mean, streaming one of the shows or release it in any video format? I think this would be an excellent news for all those fans that were not able to travel but would love to see it!

Guy:  There were indeed cameras at the show last week. I can’t offer any info on that at this point.

Thanks for your question jbaent.   It would be great to have a video of the Chichester show for those who haven't attended at Chichester.  I hope one eventually emerges!
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #186 on: November 08, 2022, 07:55:52 AM »
Eager to hear from Ingrid how she experienced the show at Chichester!

OfflineKris-b

• Camerado
« Reply #187 on: November 08, 2022, 08:23:46 AM »
 I know from someone at FB that Mark wasn‘t there

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #188 on: November 08, 2022, 09:40:41 AM »
Kris, I see that you were one of those people who attended LHM.  Did you enjoy the show?   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKris-b

• Camerado
« Reply #189 on: November 08, 2022, 08:41:27 PM »
Yes, It was a great show again, the cast wonderful and the music and lyrics as expected really beautiful. And a nice experience to sit so close to the stage.
I went with my husband who is not a MK fan, and he really enjoyed it too. I did miss one or two songs they played in Scotland, but the changes where also beautiful.

So overall it was definitely worth the travel from Germany and I hope to see it again in London!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #190 on: November 09, 2022, 08:51:05 AM »
Yes, It was a great show again, the cast wonderful and the music and lyrics as expected really beautiful. And a nice experience to sit so close to the stage.
I went with my husband who is not a MK fan, and he really enjoyed it too. I did miss one or two songs they played in Scotland, but the changes where also beautiful.

So overall it was definitely worth the travel from Germany and I hope to see it again in London!

Good to hear you enjoyed the show!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #191 on: November 09, 2022, 09:22:03 AM »
Actually, in some aspects, I would say that Chichester was better than Edinburgh...

First, the theatre and the stage. It is a small venue and the stage is "inside" the audience, so you are so close that it's an experience you can't live in Edinburgh, as it's a normal theatre where everyone is in front of the stage. Here, the actors are with you in a way.

Secondly, the beach, having a beach as part of the stage creates a sense that the Edinburgh show didn't have. I honestly hope that if this goes to London, they do the same.

Third, the actors who played the main roles were as good than Edinburgh, in fact in some cases, for me they were even better. Gabriel Ebbert was far better as Mac than was Damian Humbley, who had a great powerful voice, but Ebbert actoral skills are from out of this world, no wonder why he has a Tony award from Broadway. Also Paul Higgings was a better Gordon than Matthew Pidgeon in the sense Paul provided the character with a more humanized feel, he was cold when he had, sentimental when needed, with more soul. Lillie Flynn was as good for Stella as was Katrina Bryan, both provided the role with character, soul and power. The rest of cast in my opinion were Ok, but Edinburgh cast was a bit better for me.

Fourth, the music. I think it was also better than in Edinburgh. The musicians were playing reading sheets in both Edinburgh and Chichester, so it's clear all music was rewritten as apart of the three new songs, the rest also have different arrangements, sometimes slightly but noticiable. All those changes were for better in my opinion, specially when it comes to the guitar parts, now there are more MK guitar licks that makes it more enjoyable. Also the first number is far better in Chichester, with a lot of effects, even fire flames! Also Gabriel Ebbert sung "Houston, we have a problem" literally "suspended in the air", which was so effective to create the sense he was in a plane flying... I guess it wasn't that nice for him, LOL

The only thing I found not as good was the second half, where some songs from Edinburgh dissapeared and were substituted by some other songs reprises, and also there were a lot of talking during the second half, which for a musical is weird, but considering how brilliant the first half was and that most of the musical reprises of the second half had a lot of MK guitar things here and there even the smallest of the them were worth.

It this goes to London, which I hope it does, I hope it is more similar to Chichester than to Edinburgh in general, and I trully hope they can have Gabriel Ebbert and Paul Higgins, with Katrina Bryan, and also Adam Pearce as Viktor, he was far better in Edinburgh than the one in Chichester. Also I hope that in musical terms, the London one would be similar to Chichester, also I hope they can arrange new songs for the second half.

Also I hope that if it goes to London, it goes with a cd release, that I wish contain the music played by MK and his musicians at British Grove, with the voices from the cast, it is meant to be in these cases, also hope for a bonus cd with some of those songs sung by MK, but that looks unlikely once you see them at the musical.

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #192 on: November 09, 2022, 10:32:15 AM »
The ideal thing would be a transfer of the Chichester production to London in 2023.
But the CFT website gives many different possibilites: a transfer to Canada, a UK/Ireland tour or just London:
https://www.cft.org.uk/cft-in-london-and-on-tour

So from that we cannot draw any conclusions for now.

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #193 on: November 09, 2022, 10:46:44 AM »
The ideal thing would be a transfer of the Chichester production to London in 2023.
But the CFT website gives many different possibilites: a transfer to Canada, a UK/Ireland tour or just London:

Actually, there must be a chance for London as Daniel Evans is joining the Royal Shakespear Company that have not only Shakespear plays but also others in Stratford-upon-avon and London theaters, right now, the RSC have two musicals, "Matilda" at the Cambridge Theatre at the West End, and "Totoro" at the Barbican Centre, both in London. As far as the Chichester's Local Hero is a Daniel Evans production, transfer it to the Cambridge Th or the Barbican, once he's on charge of the RSC, would be easy.

https://www.rsc.org.uk/whats-on/

Evans joins the RSC in April 2023, so, who knows if there would be a chance for it through him and that company at the end of 2023?

https://www.cft.org.uk/news/daniel-evans-announces-his-departure-from-chichester-festival-theatre-to-become-co-artistic-director-of-the-royal-shakespeare-company

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #194 on: November 09, 2022, 10:53:03 AM »

I looked more carefully that London and On Tour section and, also could be something very likely, "South Pacific" had an adaptation by Evans at Chichester and had a season in London and now was on tour in the UK; and "The Unfriend" was also succesful at CHichester and now is in London too... That would had been great play to attend, Steve Moffatt and Mark Gatiss behind it, love their works!

A UK tour for the Local Hero musical could be something really amazing!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.032 seconds with 38 queries.