Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Legacy of Dire Straits  (Read 3467 times)

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
Re: The Legacy of Dire Straits
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2022, 11:26:49 PM »
My view is, Mark can do what he wants with Dire Straits, if he is not interested anymore, fine, I will still enjoy all the songs and albums. I don't think that he doesn't care, but it's more he has moved on, ages ago, I would be the same, why would you want to be constantly reminded of things you did upto 45 years ago, some people are ok with it, like Paul McCartney, but as Glen Worf has said, "He doesn't choose to live in his past" Good on you son!!!

Looking at the comments from that Tom Petty v Dire Straits thread, a lot of people just think the comparison is unfair, I can't compare because I have only hear 2 or 3 of their songs. Just look at some of these quotes from that thread:

1.  Not a fan of either band but there are few bands more bland than Dire Straits. They are a band whose whole aesthetic is background music. Just an awful, awful excuse for a rock band. Tom Petty by default.

2. Gold albums aside, in a real sense Dire Straits was a one hit wonder. "I want my MTV...."

3. When did great music become a competition?
Comparisons of this sort are doomed to fail.

4. I happen to digg both for different reasons.

5. Why does everything have to be a competition???

The name Dire Straits is forever, when Mark and all the other members are dead and buried, the music will still be heard and sold, their are lots of people on YouTube, young and old who are only discovering that band now by doing reaction videos, and most are blown away by the songs.

To be fair McCartney does still play "new" songs live, he got some minor criticism for doing them at Glastonbury.

I watched McCartney at Glastonbury and whilst I did enjoy the show, I found the newer songs pretty dull.   The show only came to life for me, about an hour into the set, when they sang "Love Me Do" and "I Saw Her Standing There" partly due to Dave Grohl!    From then on the show improved somewhat with some older songs.

I thought Dave Grohl sounded great on Band on the Run. Unfortunately I didn’t think Paul did.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.025 seconds with 39 queries.