Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits records in ATMOS  (Read 6392 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Dire Straits records in ATMOS
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2022, 03:02:55 PM »
wonder where i can "play" these atmos versions of songs on amazon music as i do not see a hint anywhere on the app (desktop)
what do i need to look for Jbaent?

First, you need an account that allows you the best quality of music. In Amazon's case, you need the unlimited version which is around 10 euros per month, less if you pay for the whole year, then you need a decide that allows Atmos. My phone, a Xiaomi redmi note 10 5g, allows me to play Atmos. Then you need a speaker that plays Atmos, or good headphones to be able to listen it at least in binaural.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2022, 03:49:52 PM »
even though i am a prime customer since ages, i moved away from amazon music ages ago. my loss i suppose. thnx for the info Jbaent
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2022, 07:16:50 PM »
Strange how nowadays all MK/DS catalogue are all about 'sound engeneering'

In my opinion, the main product is wrong.
Its nice when we have a new Remastered Album. OK, but its all the same songs that we listened a billion times.

The customer needs an expensive headphone or a very expensive system to play the ATMOS, Super Surround, SBM, Vinyl... etc.
And the experience is almost the same, because we already know the songs and we already have the expected thrill.

I have my Straits CDs from the 1996 remastered (i believe) and its fine. The quality is there. Good mixing, mastering and the most important, good songs.
All that fancy about theses new recordings and the DTRW album is a disaster in terms os mixing. The songs are not good either...

So... more good stuff and less remakes.

There is a plenty material out there.
There's no need to wait 30 more years to hear the final section of Portobello... come on guys.

The DS fans lives for leftovers.

Sorry my poor english.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2022, 07:52:50 PM »
even though i am a prime customer since ages, i moved away from amazon music ages ago. my loss i suppose. thnx for the info Jbaent

I was in a hurry, sorry, there are more platforms with Atmos but all of them require a payment option. The ones with various options says which one has Atmos, for example, tidal has it in the most expensive option.

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2022, 11:08:30 PM »

Its nice when we have a new Remastered Album. OK, but its all the same songs that we listened a billion times.

The customer needs an expensive headphone or a very expensive system to play the ATMOS, Super Surround, SBM, Vinyl... etc.
And the experience is almost the same, because we already know the songs and we already have the expected thrill.

Precisely what I think too. Never really cared for these new mixes, remastering and releases of the same old albums and the same old songs we've all listened a billion times. I'm always excited when they release new stuff though.

hunter

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2022, 05:26:14 AM »
Interesting too that many audiophiles think the early DS CDs sound better than the remastered ones because of less compression (bigger dynamic range) on the early releases.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2022, 07:43:10 AM »

I have my Straits CDs from the 1996 remastered (i believe) and its fine. The quality is there. Good mixing, mastering and the most important, good songs.
All that fancy about theses new recordings and the DTRW album is a disaster in terms os mixing. The songs are not good either...

There's no need to wait 30 more years to hear the final section of Portobello... come on guys.

Sorry my poor english.

I couldn't agree more.  I, too, am still listening and enjoying my 1996 CDs and have no interest in all of these new remixes and systems, etc.   Just release some new music - that's what will make me very happy!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 07:45:13 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2022, 11:27:17 AM »
Interesting too that many audiophiles think the early DS CDs sound better than the remastered ones because of less compression (bigger dynamic range) on the early releases.

Correct!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2022, 11:57:04 AM »

Correct!

Remixes are better as they offer something new, remasters usually provides more compression or higher volume that in the end makes the originals better than the remasters  :smack

The atmos mix of the MFN compilation sounds crystal clear to me, listening them with my phone with Amazon Unlimited and headphones, it all the DS catalogue is going to sound like this, it will be definitely the best versions of all the editions, no matter if you listen to them just in binaural.

By the way I'm seriously thinking in buying an Amazon Echo Studio speaker, is just five speakers integrated (atmos is prepared to 7 as far as I know, or even more) but the comments on it are good.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2022, 01:59:33 PM »

Sorry my poor english.

I couldn't agree more.  I, too, am still listening and enjoying my 1996 CDs and have no interest in all of these new remixes and systems, etc.   Just release some new music - that's what will make me very happy!

But, for example, the last two MK boxes sound fantastic and better. It's a real pleasure.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2022, 02:30:21 PM »

Sorry my poor english.

But, for example, the last two MK boxes sound fantastic and better. It's a real pleasure.

All these things are subjective, I dom't think they sound better.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2022, 02:32:27 PM »

Sorry my poor english.

I'm pleased that you are happy with your new MK boxes, but the fact is that I don't need them - I am happy with what I already have.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2022, 02:41:39 PM »

Sorry my poor english.

All these things are subjective, I dom't think they sound better.

Remastered versions don't sound better? I thought it was objectively true :)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 02:51:35 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2022, 03:21:23 PM »
Remastered versions don't sound better? I thought it was objectively true :)

Remastering has the human factor. Ok, there is a team working on that, but they have a deadline to do this.
So... is possible to release a new remix/remaster with only very little improvements.

Strange that i like to listen the first remastered or the original vinyls.
Its like to listen Coltrane or Miles, there is noise, some muffed tones, but its how they made it.

The 1996 remastereds are nice because the original sound is there. A bit more compression and volume. But its all there and sound like the originals.

In my opinion, the TR mix from the new MFN compilation isn't good. I didn't like that big volume bass guitar. But its my taste.

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2022, 03:24:47 PM »
Remixes are better as they offer something new, remasters usually provides more compression or higher volume that in the end makes the originals better than the remasters  :smack

The atmos mix of the MFN compilation sounds crystal clear to me, listening them with my phone with Amazon Unlimited and headphones, it all the DS catalogue is going to sound like this, it will be definitely the best versions of all the editions, no matter if you listen to them just in binaural.

There is no problem on these ATMOS releases.
Since this technology is out there, why not use it?

What is wrong, in my opinion, is:
- They really believe that these new releases will increase the sells? Only because it sounds fantastic?

The MFN compilation has nothing really new. Has the demo version of Sultans and WDYTYG, the uncutted TR (hahaha) and the proof that exists half of Portobello from Alchemy.

The DS legacy is about to die.
I'm sure there is plenty of old material storage.
Unreleased songs, Demos, Outtakes, Previous versions... A LOT..
Everyone on this forum knows about it.

There is live concerts to release, simple things.
New fans consumes DS bootlegs as water since they discover them.

Sugestions:
- First London: Compilation of early stuff
- Than The World: Wembley 85 or Sydney 86

- Working Straits: Demos, Outttakes from various periods
- LOG with a separate disc with the unreleased stuff
- Paris 83
- Complete On The Night

and a lot more...
Mixing these releases with the ATMOS, Dolby, Triplolby, WhereverMOS... no probrem.

But is all the same. Always.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 40 queries.