Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Getting to know the albums  (Read 3865 times)

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
Re: Getting to know the albums
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2022, 07:02:20 PM »
Broken Bones is fine for me, but any b-side is better than Skydiver :)

I like very much skydiver

Amen to that. It worked so well coupled with Laughs and Jokes when done live.

OfflineChrisGlastonbury

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2022, 10:31:08 PM »
So I’ve been listening more to the ones I’m less familiar with and I am still struggling with Tracker, DTRW and Golden Heart. On DTRW, in particular, what the hell is Heavy Up? Really? What on earth happened to make anyone think that was a contender for the album?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2022, 12:15:34 AM »
I’m hoping that’s why the new album is delayed to record some new music. They’ve done a quick stocktake and so far it’s heavy up and every heart in the room multiple times over  :o
I jest!!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2022, 12:36:23 AM »
So I’ve been listening more to the ones I’m less familiar with and I am still struggling with Tracker, DTRW and Golden Heart. On DTRW, in particular, what the hell is Heavy Up? Really? What on earth happened to make anyone think that was a contender for the album?

Yes, this is up there with the very worst of MK’s songs.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

hunter

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2022, 01:13:18 AM »
DTTRW has its gems, but I find it's an incredibly incohesive album. It should have been called All Over The Place.

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2022, 01:16:46 AM »

I would say DTRW is probably the weakest solo album he's ever released. There are a few songs in there I do like a lot, but I rarely play the full album. I think the brass section doesn't suit Mark's style very much and some of the songs would be better off without them. I always found it interesting to note that the songs that people here usually mention as favourites from that album (One Song at a Time, Back On The Dance Floor, Don't Suck Me In, etc.) none of them feature the trumpet or the sax.

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2022, 09:52:16 AM »
Mark Knopfler is a sublime songwriter as well as a great one music composer and elegant guitarist recognized all over the world, every single track both the text and the music of each one has its own story.
Many people who have always known my passion for Mark's works they tell me that tracks like Setting Me Up and Money for Nothing or What It Is and Border Reiver they don't seem to be produced by the same person, even after a long time.
Here we all know this aspect, so when they ask me which album is my favourite I tend to answer that they are all worth having, bar none.
Golden Heart it is true that it is very varied but how can one not love the pieces such as Je Suis Desolè or Are We in Trouble Now.
Tracker it's true that 'maybe' it doesn't have the best production that Ainlay could have given, but when I listen to Lights of Taormina and Silver Eagle everything else fades away.
Privateering is it true that instead of a double, a single album could have been made, but again I listen to Go love and Dream of the Drowned Submariner and the rest doesn't count...and I could go on with the rest of the albums.
For music lovers what matters are the songs.
I consider myself lucky to know Mark's work in its entirety, and I have to say 'a lot of stuff', 'great stuff'
really  :thumbsup
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 04:41:19 PM by straitsway75 »

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2022, 11:50:19 AM »
Mark Knopfler is a sublime songwriter as well as a great one music composer and elegant guitarist recognized all over the world, every single track both the text and the music of each one has its own story.
Many people who have always known my passion for Mark's works they tell me that pieces like Setting Me Up and Money for Nothing or What It Is and Border Reiver they don't seem to be produced by the same person, even after a long time.
Here we all know this aspect, so when they ask me which album is my favourite I tend to answer that they are all worth having, bar none.
Golden Heart it is true that it is very varied but how can one not love the pieces such as Je Suis Desolè or Are We in Trouble Now.
Tracker it's true that 'maybe' it doesn't have the best production that Ainlay could have given, but when I listen to Lights of Taormina and Silver Eagle everything else fades away.
Privateering is it true that instead of a double, a single album could have been made, but again I listen to Go love and Dream of the Drowned Submariner and the rest doesn't count...and I could go on with the rest of the albums.
For music lovers what matters are the songs.
I consider myself lucky to know Mark's work in its entirety, and I have to say 'a lot of stuff', 'great stuff'
really  :thumbsup

I fully agree.

"I consider myself lucky to know Mark's work in its entirety"

:thumbsup :thumbsup
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2022, 06:19:56 PM »
I'm well known for considering Tracker the worst MK solo record. Except the first and second track, and some songs like "silver eagle" or "mighty man", the rest of record are skippers for me.

It's a matter of taste, and I can't listen that record in full. It bores me to death.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2022, 07:27:20 PM »
 :thumbsup +1 here

Track One is funny and has a nice melody. Basil is one of the most beautiful MK songs.
That sounds. wow...
The Rest is really boring. Beryl maybe not beacuse it has some cool little solos and it is short
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 07:30:19 PM by Darling Pretty »
Love will find a Way

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2022, 07:31:37 PM »
I love the whole album, including all of the bonus tracks and listen to it without any skips.   It is one of my top three solo albums, the other two being KTGC and Shangri-La.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2022, 07:42:31 PM »
It is nice that we all have a little different tastes here :thumbsup
Love will find a Way

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2022, 07:58:37 PM »
Some interesting comments regarding Tracker which I kind of agree with. Whats funny though is you never know when a track that you just don't get will suddenly grab you. That's actually one of the more wonderful musical experiences I can attest to.

Music and the human brain never cease to amaze me.

OnlineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2022, 08:48:34 PM »
It is nice that we all have a little different tastes here :thumbsup

Exactly, and in the end we all do agree that Mark Knopfler is one of the greatest musicians ever.
To me HE IS the greatest!  ;)
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 39 queries.