Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: No Tour with the new album.  (Read 41933 times)

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: No Tour with the new album.
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2023, 01:46:36 PM »
Guy did use the word "may" which doesn't put the conclusion on the matter I would like.  However, his turn of phrase suggests this is what he means.

I think this is a belated decision as the 2019 shows were a step too far.  He was really struggling at times and he knows that himself for sure.  This is why he doesn't want to limp on.  He really should've called it a day after 2013.  I loved going to the shows and meeting up with fans here but I don't want to see Mark in bad shape.

For people wanting more shows I really don't know what you are wanting to see on stage - your hero embarrass himself?  It would be 5 years after the last tour before the next shows and he was really struggling in 2019.  Serious question.

Well even though he may have been struggling a bit, it was not that bad, come on. No way near embarrassing. 
I remember the two 2019 concerts I attended as absolutely stunning. We got tracks not played live for many years, and even though he was not playing as 5 or 10 years ago, it was still fantastic. If those were the last times I saw the man then it is what it is.   

I was quite excited when I heard Once Upon A Time but it never developed into anything and there were no solos to speak of.  Compare to the live version of Alchemy and its night and day.  He minced the solo of MFN half the time too.  He halved the R&J solo because he knew he was struggling with it and still most of them are rough.

The shows were littered with mistakes with solos heavily backed up by other musicians.  The 2019 shows are a difficult listen.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Onlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2023, 02:30:18 PM »
Guy did use the word "may" which doesn't put the conclusion on the matter I would like.  However, his turn of phrase suggests this is what he means.

I think this is a belated decision as the 2019 shows were a step too far.  He was really struggling at times and he knows that himself for sure.  This is why he doesn't want to limp on.  He really should've called it a day after 2013.  I loved going to the shows and meeting up with fans here but I don't want to see Mark in bad shape.

For people wanting more shows I really don't know what you are wanting to see on stage - your hero embarrass himself?  It would be 5 years after the last tour before the next shows and he was really struggling in 2019.  Serious question.

Well even though he may have been struggling a bit, it was not that bad, come on. No way near embarrassing. 
I remember the two 2019 concerts I attended as absolutely stunning. We got tracks not played live for many years, and even though he was not playing as 5 or 10 years ago, it was still fantastic. If those were the last times I saw the man then it is what it is.   
It wasn't so much the performance, although it was very different compared to 2010, for example. He could still put on a good show. For me it was just the small little details such as almost limping off the stage (remember Cesena event in 2018), having trouble taking the guitar off his body, running out of breath while speaking to the audience or his hands shaking like crazy during Speedway at Nazareth or Romeo and Juliet, as if not knowing where to place them.
Were the 2019 shows awful? Of course not, I still listen to the soundboards sometimes. But he was really struggling at times and I don't want to watch that again.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2023, 02:43:37 PM »

I agree.   I enjoyed all three of the shows I attended, especially Leeds and Verona and if it was to be MK's last tour I feel he went out on a high.   I still listen to Leeds and Verona now and again.

I can see, though, that another tour five years on would be out of the question and I don't want to see him struggling before my eyes.  I think he has come to the correct decision not to tour anymore.
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2023, 02:56:56 PM »
I will miss MK concerts very much, but respect for him.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2023, 03:09:08 PM »

I will miss the concerts a lot too and also the fans I have met along the way, but I know he is right not to tour again.
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2023, 03:22:09 PM »
I will need some time to accept it. But I understand everything.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2023, 03:24:05 PM »

I will miss the concerts a lot too and also the fans I have met along the way, but I know he is right not to tour again.

I totally agree with you!
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2023, 03:53:17 PM »
I knew it was the end. I remember standing next to Ingrid at the RAH in 2019 in tears because I knew it was the end of an era, not just MK playing live but meeting up with all the wonderful fans that I had met over the years.

I was fortunate to go to a tribute show with Ingrid and some other fans last November so it's still possible to meet up, but harder when we don't all have a place to be for a particular reason.

Still, there was a time when I would have loved to have seen MK just once, I ended up seeing him more than 20 times and meeting him 5 times so I am lucky. It is better to have loved and lost...
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2023, 04:05:01 PM »
That post of Dusty is the reason why I attended in 2019 as much shows as I could.

I knew it was the end, and wanted to live as much shows as possible.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineLeprechaun

• Local Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2023, 06:54:57 PM »
If touring is over now, the time has come to release past concerts (on video and audio). :clap

There should be some nice material like the Madrid show from the STP tour and more. :think

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2023, 07:10:34 PM »
Also only a few concerts will probably not happen.
Guy saying he simply don't know and nothing is planned.

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2023, 07:13:03 PM »
If touring is over now, the time has come to release past concerts (on video and audio). :clap

There should be some nice material like the Madrid show from the STP tour and more. :think
A live album that will be as a bonus with the new one

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2023, 07:49:37 PM »

A live album that will be as a bonus with the new one

Mark lacks terribly in the live albums department, so something HAS to be released. Not having proper live recordings for decades is complete nonsense, especially having this kind of band and songs of that magnitude, so it's basically a sin. I would buy anything at this point, there is just nothing to buy!

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2023, 08:21:06 PM »
Guy is very clear about touring if you look at the answers on multiple questions on his forum. I think this is also a clear sign that the concert days are over. Perhaps we can ask about the releasedate of the new album. I bet he will not be so clear on that subject.... 😂

hunter

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2023, 10:50:46 PM »
Indeed the right decision to not go on tour, albeit a sad one. I do wish, though, that he makes some kind of statement to the fans.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 38 queries.