Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: No Tour with the new album.  (Read 42396 times)

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
Re: No Tour with the new album.
« Reply #150 on: February 27, 2023, 01:58:08 PM »
Just pure reflection. Beautiful reflection.

Yes, but a strange use of words.

'To have known'....

Sounds in the past tense. Let's hope that's reading way too much into an innocent comment.

The demise of MK is a day I dread....

Being in the past tense maked sense, everything he has done with anyone in the last 46 years would be past tense, including his family. I think/hope he is just celebrating their relationship for whatever reason.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #151 on: March 01, 2023, 10:55:05 AM »
About six minutes in.

Man, these guys are TOO GOOD! A good reminder of how funny they actually are. If memory serves me well, I believe this particular ukulele was something like a running joke at this time. Can't remember what exactly, but for some reason, they gave it a really hard life on the road. A story was similar to Pyroman bass.

Funny but TOO GOOD as musicians too. Just to be able to sit with mates and strum a ukulele like that. Guy isn’t do anything I couldn’t do on uke. My chord knowledge on uke is pretty good but to just be able to play all those songs from your head with no need for chord sheets or anything.

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #152 on: March 17, 2023, 02:24:58 PM »
I know talking about MK's health is not nice, but there is something that are in my thoughts frequently regarding the "no tour" when it comes to the future release, let's hope late 2023, of new MK record.

I totally can understand that MK doesn't want to tour anymore, and that has nothing to do with health to me. Nothing. It is just that touring needs you out of home and far from family for months, moving from one city to another, from one hotel to the next, durinng a lot of time. Even in the comfort they do it, it's more and more tiring specially when you become older. I totally understand that, and I would asume that's the reason why he want to stop touring.

What I don't get is why someone who used to say that loves the whole cycle, writing, recording and playing wouldn't want to play anymore. It's not that he said that, but when Guy is asked about the chance of MK playing one offs, or a small residence gigs in selected venues near home (London, Birmingham etc) his answer always look like "No, it's not gonna happen", and that's when the health thing comes to mind.

I believe he still enjoy recording songs with his mates, and I guess that someone who loves music, would enjoy a lot playing those songs with them, so, I totally get he doesn't want to tour, but I don't understand that he doesn't want to have fun with them for a week or two in cities at a distance of home that allows him to go back home and sleep. Or even spend a week out of home, that's small period of time that you would enjoy in order to play your songs with your mates in front of your fans, because that's what you've been doing most of your life, because is why you always dreamed to do, is what you love to do...

I guess that there must be a reason for him if he doesn't play live anymore even some dates at the RAH or the O2 per year, further that simply he doesn't want to do it. It doesn't fit with the image I have for MK. I can't believe he doesn't like to play live with his mates anymore. That's why I think there must be something that prevent him to do it. I wish there is not, but it's the only explanation for me. I refuse to think he doesn't want to do it anymore.

That's just my thoughts by the way, forgive me if you find them offensive or something similar.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2023, 02:37:38 PM »
Yeah was thinking the same while listening to that "new" interview, he says he enjoys playing, whatever it is.

Could easily do a handful of NHB gigs in London, just for fun.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2023, 03:12:32 PM »
Health is one thing, the ability to play and sing well is completely another thing. Even the best of the best sometimes struggle to perform live, I remember seeing some of the Queen's live shows and thinking "how this is the best singer in the world?" when Freddie would struggle to sing and drop some of the iconic higher notes. Mark's singing may still work in the studio, but with live singing, you can see the struggle. Don't know whether it can be redeemed by fewer shows or it's in this state forever, but surely 80 shows are not something that sounds healthy for a grandpa.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #155 on: March 17, 2023, 03:40:36 PM »
I think Mark knows his limitations and weaknesses. One or two concerts can be a big effort for him and he knows it best.

I'm glad that I was at all the concerts in my country and a few abroad.
I am sad that the 2019 tour was farewell.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 03:47:45 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedona74

• Guitar George
« Reply #156 on: March 17, 2023, 03:45:46 PM »
We just don't want to see the evidence (because we don't like it).
Mark is no longer able to play the way he would like to... it's not bad... it's life...

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #157 on: March 17, 2023, 05:17:36 PM »
Yes, it's sad to know that we probably won't see him live anymore, but I'm sure he's thought about it many times and knows best what's good for him.
Nothing stays the same in life. Everything changes, even your attitude. We have to accept it!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 07:01:45 PM by KnopfleRick »
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #158 on: March 17, 2023, 06:12:45 PM »
Taking my wife and daughter to RAH on the 26th for the TCT gig (thanks again Jabent!). I'm sure it will be a great night but for me it will be tinged with melancholy. The memories of so many great shows there with Mark.

I know this doesn't add much to this conversation but its just what came to mind reading the new comments.....

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #159 on: March 18, 2023, 08:01:12 PM »
I wonder if he will do any promo for the new album? Perhaps again something for BBC radio, or maybe he wil be at Jools Holland??? In the worst case, only interview and no playing......

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2023, 11:13:41 AM »
I wonder if he will do any promo for the new album? Perhaps again something for BBC radio, or maybe he wil be at Jools Holland??? In the worst case, only interview and no playing......

I would say interview with almost certainly no playing.  The Ken Bruce thing last time wasn't very well played.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineSam96

• Guitar George
« Reply #161 on: May 02, 2023, 12:18:35 AM »
Sorry for the late reply but I feel like sharing my two cents about the Tour\Live shows subject..

1. I was in the show in Newcastle, and right after he said he's to old for touring, he added that he just love it too much. Not in this precise words or order but there was definitely a glimmer of hope. So, while it might not be an European tour, I still hope for some live concerts in London.

2. Knopfler's work is so much more than just singing or guitar playing. He's a true master of his music, and that's what I love about him. His music is so full and elegant and nothing would ever change that. Of course, I would love to hear him play like he used to, but it's a small part of the whole show. I have to highlight the live version of 'Heart Full of Holes.' I knew the song before, and honestly, it was never one of my favorites. I was even disappointed it was on the setlist. But after hearing it live, it all changed for me. It's now one of my top five favorite songs. And you know there's some tough competition. He might not sing the best or play the toughest songs, but you can't deny that it's HIS song and HIS arrangement, and a damn good one at that. It's a lot thanks to the band's contribution and performance, mainly McCusker. I think the fiddle part on the outro of this song is his finest, but it's never all of it. What I'm trying to say is that if there were to be a live concert with performances like HFOH, it would be perfect in a way he could never have managed to do ten years ago or so.

3. I can't accept total retirement from live performance as long as there is no live recorded version of So Far From the Clyde. This song just screams for a live arrangement, especially with that amazing group of musicians, it is one of his best songs, and it's an absolute sin that it was never played live (as far as I know, please correct me if I'm wrong).
If there's whiskey in the bottle
Leave some for me
I'll get to it, eventually

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #162 on: May 02, 2023, 10:07:15 AM »
On point 3 i must add the song Hand in Hand.........

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #163 on: May 02, 2023, 06:49:11 PM »
Sorry for the late reply but I feel like sharing my two cents about the Tour\Live shows subject..

1. I was in the show in Newcastle, and right after he said he's to old for touring, he added that he just love it too much. Not in this precise words or order but there was definitely a glimmer of hope. So, while it might not be an European tour, I still hope for some live concerts in London.

2. Knopfler's work is so much more than just singing or guitar playing. He's a true master of his music, and that's what I love about him. His music is so full and elegant and nothing would ever change that. Of course, I would love to hear him play like he used to, but it's a small part of the whole show. I have to highlight the live version of 'Heart Full of Holes.' I knew the song before, and honestly, it was never one of my favorites. I was even disappointed it was on the setlist. But after hearing it live, it all changed for me. It's now one of my top five favorite songs. And you know there's some tough competition. He might not sing the best or play the toughest songs, but you can't deny that it's HIS song and HIS arrangement, and a damn good one at that. It's a lot thanks to the band's contribution and performance, mainly McCusker. I think the fiddle part on the outro of this song is his finest, but it's never all of it. What I'm trying to say is that if there were to be a live concert with performances like HFOH, it would be perfect in a way he could never have managed to do ten years ago or so.

3. I can't accept total retirement from live performance as long as there is no live recorded version of So Far From the Clyde. This song just screams for a live arrangement, especially with that amazing group of musicians, it is one of his best songs, and it's an absolute sin that it was never played live (as far as I know, please correct me if I'm wrong).

:thumbsup Great post.
Clear as the day

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #164 on: May 19, 2023, 07:56:59 PM »
Peter Gabriel has started a concert tour in Poland. It's sad that we won't see Mark on stage ever again  :(
Clear as the day

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 38 queries.