Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: No Tour with the new album.  (Read 42335 times)

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
Re: No Tour with the new album.
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2023, 10:09:31 PM »
Saying that "something is not right" about Mark's health doesn't sound exaggerate for me.

But I won't go into speculation about what is wrong.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2023, 10:43:16 PM »
Saying that "something is not right" about Mark's health doesn't sound exaggerate for me.

But I won't go into speculation about what is wrong.

I think the motorcycle accident, albeit a distant one, also had an effect and still has. After all, how many bones he broke? 19 or something? I bet he's still ringing through metal detectors. I'll start to worry when he won't be able to record albums in the studio because live shows are a hard thing for anyone, especially 70 year old. Sure, there are some exceptions, but there are always exceptions to anything. Mark still should be great in the studio, so that's a good thing.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2023, 11:51:04 PM »
"I have to say I feel really uncomfortable talking about anyone's health issues as it's a very personal thing.

I have the same feelings.

Finally, 2 comments I can agree with!

I know lots of this comes from our emotions toward Mark and that's understandable. There always was something of the underdog, the everyday man about him, and thus our urge for him to be well, to succeed, and of course our concerns when things dont seem right. Remember we've all been hanging of his every note for nearly half a century now!

But none of this affords us the right to speculate about his personal health.

His hands shake, he may be ill (who mentioned parkinsons, come on!), could be an older man's response to adrenaline, Or he may simply be suffering from bending his left hand into ridiculous positions for the last 60 years! We don't know, and we don't have any right to know until such time as he chooses to share such info.

I've gone on way too long now!

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2023, 04:42:59 PM »
I just love all these assumptions people make about Marks health. Based on what? A view from a show seat 5 miles away from a stage, or youtube footage shot on a potato!

Perhaps Mark just wants to spend  his dotage with the people he loves, and in my eyes he's more than earnt that right....

I saw him in front row on various of his gigs and I clearly saw something was wrong with him. Maybe his health permanently, maybe something occasionally, but it was quite clear by his gestures, corporal movements, shake of hands, I even remember he kicked his face with the mic several times...

He already did that in 1980, watch at 11.14  ;D

Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2023, 01:25:36 AM »
I just love all these assumptions people make about Marks health. Based on what? A view from a show seat 5 miles away from a stage, or youtube footage shot on a potato!

Perhaps Mark just wants to spend  his dotage with the people he loves, and in my eyes he's more than earnt that right....

I saw him in front row on various of his gigs and I clearly saw something was wrong with him. Maybe his health permanently, maybe something occasionally, but it was quite clear by his gestures, corporal movements, shake of hands, I even remember he kicked his face with the mic several times...

He already did that in 1980, watch at 11.14  ;D

Lol.

And he's doing quite a lot of jumping up and down at various times. Perhaps symptoms of that dreaded UK disease, folk dancing!?!

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2023, 03:22:52 AM »
Mark is a public figure. I can't see why wondering about his health would be such a problem. Like, people didn't wonder about the Queen's health for years before she eventually passed? Michael Schumacher also comes to mind.

I'd be extremely surprised if the same people who complain here would not worry about his condition after his accident, for example - although that would be just as private as this thing.

I really hope I'll be in better shape than that when I'm 70, that's for sure.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2023, 11:24:09 AM »
Mark is a public figure. I can't see why wondering about his health would be such a problem. Like, people didn't wonder about the Queen's health for years before she eventually passed? Michael Schumacher also comes to mind.

I'd be extremely surprised if the same people who complain here would not worry about his condition after his accident, for example - although that would be just as private as this thing.

You're conflating 2 completely different things.

It's one thing to worry about someone after an accident that we know the facts about, and something completely different to speculate randomly about someone's overall health based on our opinion of their appearance.

One is based on established facts, the other is pure speculation.

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2023, 11:52:23 AM »
Personally I think all the conjecture is pointless. Mark is over 70 and it's understandable that he's slowing down a bit, even without taking any illness or after effects of injury into account. Despite Guy's loyal support in saying he's as able as he ever was, it seems obvious that he dropped Sultans & Telegraph Road from the set in the last tour because they were too demanding. (too may extended "twiddly bits") I remember as far back as the Golden Heart tour he got cramp in his hand during the Sultans outro & had to strum a few bars ( Newcastle City Hall) and Guy's old tour photo diary showed him wearing a wrist brace. Guy also reported that he said something like "Too many Sultans, Too many Telegraph Roads" with regard to his problem at that time.
 I'm "only" 67 and only play for a hobby, but I find I struggle more than I used to to play the fast stuff due to a bit of stiffness in my hands (not particularly arthritis). I used to be able to have a fair crack at Tunnel Of Love & Telegraph Road but I think it's beyond me now.
Marks expression at the end of the Newcastle show on the last tour says it all. Whatever he was saying about maybe retiring from touring, I think he had made up his mind.

https://dtvaviationimages.co.uk/mark-knopfler-tour-photos/down-the-road-wherever-tour-2019/mk_0202lq/
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2023, 12:34:20 PM »
Personally I think all the conjecture is pointless. Mark is over 70 and it's understandable that he's slowing down a bit, even without taking any illness or after effects of injury into account. Despite Guy's loyal support in saying he's as able as he ever was, it seems obvious that he dropped Sultans & Telegraph Road from the set in the last tour because they were too demanding. (too may extended "twiddly bits") I remember as far back as the Golden Heart tour he got cramp in his hand during the Sultans outro & had to strum a few bars ( Newcastle City Hall) and Guy's old tour photo diary showed him wearing a wrist brace. Guy also reported that he said something like "Too many Sultans, Too many Telegraph Roads" with regard to his problem at that time.
 I'm "only" 67 and only play for a hobby, but I find I struggle more than I used to to play the fast stuff due to a bit of stiffness in my hands (not particularly arthritis). I used to be able to have a fair crack at Tunnel Of Love & Telegraph Road but I think it's beyond me now.
Marks expression at the end of the Newcastle show on the last tour says it all. Whatever he was saying about maybe retiring from touring, I think he had made up his mind.

https://dtvaviationimages.co.uk/mark-knopfler-tour-photos/down-the-road-wherever-tour-2019/mk_0202lq/

I was at the Newcastle show and I remember the sadness on his face at the end of the concert when he realised it was the end of touring.  Thanks for your pictures 3Strats.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2023, 03:00:10 PM »

It's one thing to worry about someone after an accident that we know the facts about, and something completely different to speculate randomly about someone's overall health based on our opinion of their appearance.

And if there's no information if there is an accident (i.e. Schumacher), all we can do is speculate if it's a topic of interested. So in the end, the relevant pieces are the same. Not that I think MK cares what we write in here, anyway.

The thing is, that you can just look at like Springsteen's band. We know what Mark at 70 looks like, and then we can see what other performers at the same age look like. If there is a noticeable difference, it's perfectly normal to wonder if something's up.

That's what your typical 71-73 year olds musicians are like. Compare that to MK at 69-70. He seems like he's 10 years older than those guys. And it's not like MK is the "one normal guy", and the others are outliers.

I don't have the skills to say why it's so, and I hope it's just a matter of being totally out of shape.

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2023, 06:15:38 PM »
Everyone is different and everyone has different health.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2023, 02:37:18 AM »

And if there's no information if there is an accident (i.e. Schumacher), all we can do is speculate if it's a topic of interested. So in the end, the relevant pieces are the same. Not that I think MK cares what we write in here, anyway.

The thing is, that you can just look at like Springsteen's band. We know what Mark at 70 looks like, and then we can see what other performers at the same age look like. If there is a noticeable difference, it's perfectly normal to wonder if something's up.

That's what your typical 71-73 year olds musicians are like. Compare that to MK at 69-70. He seems like he's 10 years older than those guys. And it's not like MK is the "one normal guy", and the others are outliers.

I don't have the skills to say why it's so, and I hope it's just a matter of being totally out of shape.

There was plenty of accurate info about Marks accident, all in the public domain.

Are you honestly comparing Springsteen, a force of nature, with the 'average' 70 year old?

Sorry but that really is a bit silly.  As Robson said different people age at different rates depending on genetics, location, life circumstance, and wealth.

Your average 70+ rocker is not your average man in the street. They are most definitely outliers and will have spent a kings ransom under the knife, Spend 5 minutes and google *insert rock star of choice* - plastic surgery. Makes my point for me...

Springsteen has even had a hair transplant! Wonder if MK ever considered that......back in about 1983!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 02:47:09 AM by 2manyguitars »

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2023, 04:16:31 AM »

There was plenty of accurate info about Marks accident, all in the public domain.

Are you honestly comparing Springsteen, a force of nature, with the 'average' 70 year old?

Sorry but that really is a bit silly.  As Robson said different people age at different rates depending on genetics, location, life circumstance, and wealth.

Your average 70+ rocker is not your average man in the street. They are most definitely outliers and will have spent a kings ransom under the knife, Spend 5 minutes and google *insert rock star of choice* - plastic surgery. Makes my point for me...

Springsteen has even had a hair transplant! Wonder if MK ever considered that......back in about 1983!

I was referring to the band as a whole. Bruce is 73, and is probably above average in terms of fitness. The others? I doubt it. Their ages: 68-71-71-72-73-73(+73 for BS himself). And a few younger ones, but the ones who look rather old in any 2023 BS clip would be among those at 68-73. This is also more about general movement and apparent fitness on MK's side than lack of hair, which is a silly measure in this setting, anyway. If I were to compare MK to someone, it would be someone like Phil Collins. But, in that case we actually know what's up. And, also "insert rock star of choice" - we could try with MK. Or is he oh-so-VERY-special in this manner, also?

And yes, there was some public information about the accident. Now, did people speculate outside of the official information? This was before my time as an MK fan (which started in 2004, from what I recall). If the answer is "yes", then it should also be fine to speculate now - and at any given moment in between. It's not like there's no reason to, either - as pointed out by others.

There's also the case of "none of our business". Most of what we discuss in this forum regarding MK is "none of our business", after all, and pure speculation. Like, all the speculations regarding new albums, and what not - and who he hated on when writing this and that song etc. It seems like what's OK to have a meaning about is related to personal opinions, as "none of our business" certainly isn't a deal breaker in WAY too many other cases. How does one actually define that IS "our business" to begin with, even?

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2023, 12:53:56 PM »
How does one actually define that IS "our business" to begin with, even?

I would say to answer to that question by : the owner of the forum.

Each of us are entitled to have an opinion.

The problem is, when some being expressed are sometime deeply hurting some others' people view or sensibility.

Dealing with that situation is not easy

Some others forum have a more strict policy about "sensible" topics being not allowed to be discussed.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 08:56:15 PM by ds1984 »
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2023, 06:56:09 PM »
Spot on DS.

I don't think anyone has really offended anyone in this topic. For me it's as much about the level of speculation based on literally nothing. Best example so far - hands shaking = parkinsons!

Expressions of concern are fine, we all have deep seated feelings for Mark and his music. Let's just try not to read too much into at best limited, subjective observations.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 38 queries.