Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Mark Lawson interview  (Read 3351 times)

hunter

The Mark Lawson interview
« on: March 12, 2023, 07:05:07 PM »
I'm sure you've all watched this, but I just encourage you to watch it again. I think it's probably the best Mark has done. Great questions, and Mark is really in the mood for talking.

https://vk.com/video74313997_164948555

Edit: Fixed link font size. Don't know what's up with this forum software; when I copy links and paste them, the font size gets very small.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 08:12:56 PM by hunter »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: The Mark Lawson interview
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 09:38:49 PM »
I'm sure you've all watched this, but I just encourage you to watch it again. I think it's probably the best Mark has done. Great questions, and Mark is really in the mood for talking.

https://vk.com/video74313997_164948555

Edit: Fixed link font size. Don't know what's up with this forum software; when I copy links and paste them, the font size gets very small.

Yes, one of the best, if not the best interview with Mark. It's longer than a HARDtalk interview, and nearly any other interview, and it's perfectly recorded, almost like a movie, so you can see the emotions. The journalist knows what he's doing, and the questions are top-notch. Also helps a big deal that the host is British as well. To go from asking about talent shows to going to synagogue is a wide range of questions indeed. Family, politics, childhood, music, everything.

hunter

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 10:05:15 PM »
Yes, it was nice watch it again. In my mind, I seemed to remember that Lawson pushed Mark harder on the topic of David, and that Mark got very uncomfortable, but this wasn't really the case. It's not exactly Mark's favorite subject, but he handled the question pretty well I think.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 10:27:35 PM »
Yes, it was nice watch it again. In my mind, I seemed to remember that Lawson pushed Mark harder on the topic of David, and that Mark got very uncomfortable, but this wasn't really the case. It's not exactly Mark's favorite subject, but he handled the question pretty well I think.

I think Mark gets uncomfortable just talking. In general :lol

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 10:13:37 AM »

There was another interview, Hardtalk, where the interviewer went further about David.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

hunter

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 11:41:45 AM »

There was another interview, Hardtalk, where the interviewer went further about David.

Ah, maybe I mixed the two. Need to try to find the HardTalk one.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 11:53:46 AM »
I shared a DVD I made at the time, let me know if you can't find it and I'll upload it somewhere.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 12:20:59 PM »
Great. Thank you for the reminder.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 12:34:41 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2023, 02:17:30 PM »
Funnily enough, he was much more brutal in the ML interview than the BBC hardtalk one. Here he essentially said his brother was crap at playing guitar and he didn't want to bother teaching him.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2023, 02:58:31 PM »
is mark lawson related to Nigella?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2023, 03:03:06 PM »
No. Nigella is the daughter of former Conservative Chancellor Nigel Lawson.

hunter

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2023, 04:02:32 PM »
Funnily enough, he was much more brutal in the ML interview than the BBC hardtalk one. Here he essentially said his brother was crap at playing guitar and he didn't want to bother teaching him.

He was kind of hinting at John Illsley too not being very advanced musically. Which lines up with what Pick said during his string of interviews last year or the year before, that both John and David had pretty elementary skills. I can actually hear it from shows during the BIA and OES tour. John really isn't a great musician, and I'm even surprised Mark let him stay that long. I know they're good friends, but still. Musically John must have been a hindrance.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2023, 04:26:12 PM »

He was kind of hinting at John Illsley too not being very advanced musically. Which lines up with what Pick said during his string of interviews last year or the year before, that both John and David had pretty elementary skills. I can actually hear it from shows during the BIA and OES tour. John really isn't a great musician, and I'm even surprised Mark let him stay that long. I know they're good friends, but still. Musically John must have been a hindrance.

You don't really need to be a musicoligist to work out that John was limited musically. In the early days I think that was a benefor though, those simple lines on something like Six Blade Knife fit perfectly.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2023, 06:42:23 PM »

You don't really need to be a musicoligist to work out that John was limited musically. In the early days I think that was a benefor though, those simple lines on something like Six Blade Knife fit perfectly.

Got to be honest and say I'm not a fan of Worf's live playing - he just seems to be playing a different tune all on his own sometimes and it's distracting.  I always thought John Illsley read Mark's playing like a book and offered the best bass lines to accompany it.  It's certainly my opinion that like children a bassist should be seen and not heard!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2023, 10:04:03 PM »
I like both bassist, for different reasons.

It was great to hear John back in 2002.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 46 queries.