Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Any Mike Oldfield Fans  (Read 5060 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: Any Mike Oldfield Fans
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2023, 05:40:43 PM »

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2023, 11:08:41 AM »
Thanks for your coverage JP, just a slight correction, Amarok was released in 1990 This is a unique album, and it will always hold a special place in my heart, for not only introducing me to Mike Oldfield, but to the prog genre, it also introduced me to a unique guitar player, and someone who I feel has a lot in common with Mark Knopfler. I have own every Mike Oldfield album, and I would say 90% of it is amazing, some of it like the obscure song Don Alfonso is always redeemed by Mike's wonderful guitar playing. I think Tubular Bells 2 is a very worthy follow up, and stands on it's own too, it is great we have the full live premier concert from Edinburgh available to watch, it shows how good a musician Mike is, with his playing varies instruments, and his wonderful guitar playing, as a side note, it also has a certain Ian Thomas playing drums!! I attended the live premier concert for Tubular Bells 3 in London in 1998 in the pouring rain.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2023, 02:27:37 PM »
Thanks for your coverage JP, just a slight correction, Amarok was released in 1990 This is a unique album, and it will always hold a special place in my heart, for not only introducing me to Mike Oldfield, but to the prog genre, it also introduced me to a unique guitar player, and someone who I feel has a lot in common with Mark Knopfler. I have own every Mike Oldfield album, and I would say 90% of it is amazing, some of it like the obscure song Don Alfonso is always redeemed by Mike's wonderful guitar playing. I think Tubular Bells 2 is a very worthy follow up, and stands on it's own too, it is great we have the full live premier concert from Edinburgh available to watch, it shows how good a musician Mike is, with his playing varies instruments, and his wonderful guitar playing, as a side note, it also has a certain Ian Thomas playing drums!! I attended the live premier concert for Tubular Bells 3 in London in 1998 in the pouring rain.

thanks for the precision, I fixed it  :)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2023, 12:08:28 AM »
Crises was released on May 27th 1983

here is my chronicle :

https://textes-blog-rock-n-roll.fr/mike-oldfield-sortait-crises-il-y-a-40-ans/

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2023, 12:32:26 PM »
That's a great piece about Crises JP, it is a really good album, with really good production and top class performances, the track Crises is stunning, with Mike playing wonderful guitar and Simon Phillips displaying some really full on drumming. Moonlight Shadow is of course Mike's best known song with vocals, and has some very Knopfler like soloing, indeed, Mike even put in Mark's "twiddly bits"when playing the song live in the late 90's. That clip of Mike playing Taurus 3/Amarok Bits is some of the most impressing guitar playing I have ever seen!! Every time I watch it, I can't believe why Mike is not recognized more for his playing, it's real virtuoso stuff, it's from 2 different albums, but actually works well together.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2023, 03:24:33 PM »
Mike is recognized as being a truly fantastic multi instrumentist, not only as a great guitarist.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2023, 05:15:43 PM »
That's a great piece about Crises JP, it is a really good album, with really good production and top class performances, the track Crises is stunning, with Mike playing wonderful guitar and Simon Phillips displaying some really full on drumming. Moonlight Shadow is of course Mike's best known song with vocals, and has some very Knopfler like soloing, indeed, Mike even put in Mark's "twiddly bits"when playing the song live in the late 90's. That clip of Mike playing Taurus 3/Amarok Bits is some of the most impressing guitar playing I have ever seen!! Every time I watch it, I can't believe why Mike is not recognized more for his playing, it's real virtuoso stuff, it's from 2 different albums, but actually works well together.

I am JF not JP  ;)

about Tarus 3, there is also this video, but I can't embed it on my blog :

« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 05:19:25 PM by JF »

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2023, 09:25:36 AM »
Sorry JF :smack
That's a funny video.

This is a great one too.

On another note, according to the Official Charts people, Tubular Bells is looking like charting at number 9 in the album charts, which is an amazing thing for a 50 year old album, and instrumental one too, plus great for an artist like Mike Oldfield, which proves he is still popular.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 09:28:18 AM by qjamesfloyd »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2023, 12:25:50 PM »
I'm certainly in the minority here, but I don't get "Tubular Bells" and hype around it at all. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm an absolute fan of classical music, film music, multi-instrumentalists and all, but this album can't possibly strike a chord with my heart. I find it repetitive, random, and over-analyse-friendly. Why I'm wrong?

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2023, 12:57:27 PM »
I'm certainly in the minority here, but I don't get "Tubular Bells" and hype around it at all. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm an absolute fan of classical music, film music, multi-instrumentalists and all, but this album can't possibly strike a chord with my heart. I find it repetitive, random, and over-analyse-friendly. Why I'm wrong?

I'm like you, it does nothing for me, but we're not wrong, just different to those who love it.   It seems to me to be in the same vein as Benjamin Britten's "A Young Persons Guide To The Orchestra".
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2023, 01:28:59 PM »

I'm like you, it does nothing for me, but we're not wrong, just different to those who love it.   It seems to me to be in the same vein as Benjamin Britten's "A Young Persons Guide To The Orchestra".

Yeah, exactly! But I absolutely LOVE "A Young Persons Guide To The Orchestra", and how it's appropriately named, and not named "Temple Blocks".

My main gripe with Tubular Bells is that all of a sudden I feel a sound you can build a song out of, but I know it will last for a few repetitions and will be gone.

In a way, it shows you how great things in life and opportunities are short, and you need to enjoy them while you can... There, I'm already overanalysing it.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2023, 01:45:30 PM »

Yeah, exactly! But I absolutely LOVE "A Young Persons Guide To The Orchestra", and how it's appropriately named, and not named "Temple Blocks".

My main gripe with Tubular Bells is that all of a sudden I feel a sound you can build a song out of, but I know it will last for a few repetitions and will be gone.

In a way, it shows you how great things in life and opportunities are short, and you need to enjoy them while you can... There, I'm already overanalysing it.

I like "A Young Persons Guide" too.  I remember being taken from school to hear it played at the Liverpool Philharmonic and the constant interruptions to explain what instrument was being played really irritated me - I just wanted to hear the whole thing! 
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2023, 02:24:24 PM »
I think the reasons you give are some of the reasons why I, and others love it, the piece is a fusion of musical styles, incorporating classical, rock, blues, folk, the repetitive nature of the opening piano intro is because Mike was influenced by the music style of Minimalism, Terry Reilly in particular, and his album A Rainbow in Curved Air, Steve Reich, Phillip Glass and others, but Oldfield took these influences and made it into something unique to him, and developed his own style which fans call Oldfield Progressive. Some people will have only heard the piano part and assume the whole album is like that, which it is not, it is an album of changing moods and instruments. The other thing is about the making of the album, which in turn is the making of Mike Oldfield, it is a legendary tale. I know this music is not for everyone, but I find it beautiful, like most of Mike's diverse musical output.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2023, 02:49:04 PM »
Lots of people hate Dire Straits. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 37 queries.