Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: On The Night - Ridiculously Bad???  (Read 23388 times)

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
Re: On The Night - Ridiculously Bad???
« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2023, 09:33:34 PM »
Here is my chronicle :

https://textes-blog-rock-n-roll.fr/il-y-a-30-ans-sortait-le-live-on-the-night-de-dire-straits/

nothing new for you, but I put a link to this discussion  :)

I really enjoyed it, merci!

Thanks Dusty, some interesting thoughts there...

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #166 on: May 11, 2023, 10:52:13 PM »
Here is my chronicle :

https://textes-blog-rock-n-roll.fr/il-y-a-30-ans-sortait-le-live-on-the-night-de-dire-straits/

nothing new for you, but I put a link to this discussion  :)

Also worth mentioning is the great album cover by Roger Ressmeyer. The huge radio telescope dishes of the Very Large Array (VLA), situated on the plains of San Agustin 50 miles west of Socorro, New Mexico.

I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2023, 11:06:40 AM »
Respectfully disagree about it being a great album cover. It's just a random picture of satellite dishes, doesn't really mean anything to me.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2023, 11:12:21 AM »
That said. the VLA is featured in the movie 2010: The Year We Make Contact.

I used to like that film as a kid. In my view it works on its own as a stand alone movie but suffers in comparison to 2001: A Space Odyssey. Strangely, it seems the film is completely forgotten these days, I never see it on TV. Last time I saw it was on VHS over 30 years ago...

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2023, 11:29:05 AM »
Respectfully disagree about it being a great album cover. It's just a random picture of satellite dishes, doesn't really mean anything to me.
+1
that's why I didn't mention it in my chronicle

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2023, 12:59:47 PM »
+1

But it sort of stand out from the crowd of your typical live album covers. As usual for Mark, it obviously doesn't contain any faces, even on the back side you only have a shot of musicians from behind. And I welcome any Astronomy allusions in the word of music since they literally broadcasted this music into the cosmos, and it's still travelling somewhere down the (space) road, almost immortalised in a way.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2023, 01:11:18 PM »
+1

But it sort of stand out from the crowd of your typical live album covers. As usual for Mark, it obviously doesn't contain any faces, even on the back side you only have a shot of musicians from behind. And I welcome any Astronomy allusions in the word of music since they literally broadcasted this music into the cosmos, and it's still travelling somewhere down the (space) road, almost immortalised in a way.

Exactly! The photo may be random but I like it very much. Photography is not random if it starts to tell us our personal story. :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 01:33:23 PM by Robson »
Clear as the day

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2023, 03:08:08 PM »
I prefer BiA and OES where there is a guitar. I think the solo albums, for the most part, have upped the game as well in terms of overall design quality (the last one being a notable exception).

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2023, 03:46:06 PM »
I agree that OTN cover is pretty random and even is a nice picture it doesn't make sense at all.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2023, 04:17:40 PM »
I prefer BiA and OES where there is a guitar. I think the solo albums, for the most part, have upped the game as well in terms of overall design quality (the last one being a notable exception).

:)

Clear as the day

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #175 on: May 16, 2023, 01:15:32 PM »
This is a cool pic of Mark in the studio in front of, now vintage, Hi-Fi-Studio-components. Cool to see such technical devices.  :thumbsup
We are fools to make war

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #176 on: May 17, 2023, 01:27:39 AM »
I still don't understand what happened with Planet of New Orleans. It got misteriously dropped on the tour's second leg, yet it showcased the band at its best, with some really ambitious playing by MK.

I have the theory that Mark was not really comfortable with these chord changes and some of the nights it was kind of a hit or miss, the solo didnt' allowed his "autopilot" mode. There's kind of a higher error rate on the recordings - just check these last Bercy renditions -  and MK is not known for making mistakes. Still, the fresher tune, really well suited for the 9 piece band.

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #177 on: May 17, 2023, 01:32:55 AM »
I still don't understand what happened with Planet of New Orleans. It got misteriously dropped on the tour's second leg, yet it showcased the band at its best, with some really ambitious playing by MK.

I have the theory that Mark was not really comfortable with these chord changes and some of the nights it was kind of a hit or miss, the solo didnt' allowed his "autopilot" mode. There's kind of a higher error rate on the recordings - just check these last Bercy renditions -  and MK is not known for making mistakes. Still, the fresher tune, really well suited for the 9 piece band.
Same situation with Silvertown Blues in 2019

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #178 on: May 19, 2023, 05:35:52 PM »

I think Silvertown is different; that one involves some playing and singing at the same time and it doesn't really come off as it does on the album.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #179 on: May 19, 2023, 06:55:15 PM »

PONO is way trickier than Silvertown, harmonically speaking. Silvertown is in a very well known key for Mark, he was just under-rehearsed and out of form.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 38 queries.