Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: On The Night - Ridiculously Bad???  (Read 23498 times)

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
Re: On The Night - Ridiculously Bad???
« Reply #285 on: November 24, 2023, 01:54:58 AM »
OTN was never that bad. Not bad at all actually. Come on guys. Imagine you never had that live recording.   YOU AND YOUR FRIEND was on there, which was enough for me. Love that track.

Me too! After all these years this song always gets me. I still get tears in my eyes when I listen to it. The stunning communication of his guitar and Paul Franklin's steel guitar, and Mark's end solo is out of this world. Takes you into another atmosphere.  Nobody makes the guitar sing like Mark Knopfler! Nobody!

I am also another huge YAYF fan - Are there ANY other soundboard or equivalent quality recordings with You and Your Friend apart from OTN?  I have Munich...but the quality is nowhere near the same - so keen for any recommendations. 
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #286 on: November 24, 2023, 08:50:26 AM »
OTN was never that bad. Not bad at all actually. Come on guys. Imagine you never had that live recording.   YOU AND YOUR FRIEND was on there, which was enough for me. Love that track.

Me too! After all these years this song always gets me. I still get tears in my eyes when I listen to it. The stunning communication of his guitar and Paul Franklin's steel guitar, and Mark's end solo is out of this world. Takes you into another atmosphere.  Nobody makes the guitar sing like Mark Knopfler! Nobody!

I am also another huge YAYF fan - Are there ANY other soundboard or equivalent quality recordings with You and Your Friend apart from OTN?  I have Munich...but the quality is nowhere near the same - so keen for any recommendations.

I dont think so. The number of concerts that has SB recordings from the OES tour can be counted on one hand.
Cheers Peter

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #287 on: November 24, 2023, 09:41:07 AM »

Also I would say that we were lucky with that official YAYF recording,  other renditions in the tour are not even close to it! He was really inspired that night.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #288 on: November 24, 2023, 12:18:39 PM »

Milan 09.09.92 is quite a nice recording.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinetomtom51

• Guitar George
« Reply #289 on: November 25, 2023, 10:12:42 PM »

Hello folks! A passionate and very interesting discussion about a much cherished live album of mine. It's funny how the live versions on OTN have become the reference for me and every time I listen to another OES show I'm expecting this  exact same sax solo in R&J. That's not to say I don't enjoy the numerous subtle variations that happened along the tour, quite the contrary (for instance, one can lend an ear on the incredible 02/02/92 audience recording).
It's just that these OTN versions are engraved in my memory and I'm really grateful we got an official live release from that tour, and now just expanded thanks to Guy Fletcher 's hard work.
One thing I would have changed is the piano mix, which I think is better in Basel (more upfront).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 10:26:06 PM by tomtom51 »

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #290 on: November 28, 2023, 09:37:29 AM »

Hello folks! A passionate and very interesting discussion about a much cherished live album of mine. It's funny how the live versions on OTN have become the reference for me and every time I listen to another OES show I'm expecting this  exact same sax solo in R&J. That's not to say I don't enjoy the numerous subtle variations that happened along the tour, quite the contrary (for instance, one can lend an ear on the incredible 02/02/92 audience recording).
It's just that these OTN versions are engraved in my memory and I'm really grateful we got an official live release from that tour, and now just expanded thanks to Guy Fletcher 's hard work.
One thing I would have changed is the piano mix, which I think is better in Basel (more upfront).
nice first post.
Welcome!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #291 on: November 28, 2023, 04:51:03 PM »

in many cases, what become "reference versions" are the first one we hear.
For me, the Mandela version of Romeo & Juliet was the first one I heard with the sax solo. And it's my "reference version" of the song in that form

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #292 on: November 28, 2023, 05:45:07 PM »
Also what we had access to in the early days. It wasn't like now when you can easily access hundreds of bootlegs at the touch of a button. You had to work for them!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinetomtom51

• Guitar George
« Reply #293 on: November 28, 2023, 07:36:25 PM »

in many cases, what become "reference versions" are the first one we hear.
For me, the Mandela version of Romeo & Juliet was the first one I heard with the sax solo. And it's my "reference version" of the song in that form

Very true indeed. To the point that I first listened dozens if not hundreds of times to my Alchemy audio tape before having the CD, in which I didn't quite found the same sound. Go figure!
Also, I even became used to some boots defaults (Texan Sunset anyone?) and when clean internet versions surfaced, it was better ... in a way.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 38 queries.