Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Local Hero 40th Anniversary  (Read 2957 times)

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
Local Hero 40th Anniversary
« on: April 29, 2023, 10:29:38 AM »
I've posted this here as it doesn't relate to the musical.

A nice article on BBC Breakfast TV at around 8.30 this morning ( if you can get it in the iPlayer)
The report was about the 40th anniversary of the Local Hero film and included a short chat with Peter Riegert
and up to date footage of Pennan.
It even ended with a current shot of the phone box with the phone ringing ... obviously done by a fan.  :)
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
Re: Local Hero 40th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2023, 10:38:33 AM »
Great spot, that’s a lovely little news report!
I must head over to Pennan one of these days…

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2023, 11:02:32 AM »
Thanks 3Strats!    It was a nice article, but the music was hardly mentioned and MK not at all!    :smack
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2023, 11:05:21 AM »
I started to write an article about the soundtrack, but I have a lot to say and it's long...

I hope I can publish it before tomorrow (the last day to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the release... in april 83)

OnlineKris-b

• Lady writer
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2023, 04:53:44 PM »
There is a Local Hero Festival in Banff in May!
https://localherofestival.com/

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2023, 05:03:00 PM »
There is a Local Hero Festival in Banff in May!
https://localherofestival.com/
They have a special about MK. Thats nice...
A weekend of Music and Theatre featuring the Mark Knopfler soundtrack to Local Hero and the Anthem “Going Home” to his score from Local Hero – The Musical,  featuring “Only Rocks and Water”  We host our first Local Hero Ceilidh  at the location used in the film.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2023, 07:02:04 PM »
It’s not far from me but I’m not sure if I’ll go to any of it.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2023, 02:51:57 PM »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineSam96

• Guitar George
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2023, 04:08:25 PM »
Well, it's not directly relevant to the post that started this discussion but It is relevant to its subject.

My question is simple: "Is 'Going Home' a happy song?"

I'm a Big fan of Knopfler's work. I first heard DS music at 12yo, and Wild Theme and Going Home has been my very favorite songs from the start.
Knowing It is from a movie named "Local Hero" that tells the story of an American oil company in intent to purchase a small town in Scotland I automatically assumed "Wild Theme" is about the difficulties and well, bad news, and "Going home" must have been the happy ending where they manage in resisting the purchase etc.
A few month ago I watched the movie for the first time (loved it, obviously), at first I was very much surprised cause it wasn't really as I imagined it would be. Later I was very confused, because to me Going Home was always a happy and energetic song but the the ending of the film doesn't align with it.
I think I found my own answer, or maybe two different answers to this question, but I'd like to hear what other fans think and feel about it. Did your journey with these two songs resemble mine?
If there's whiskey in the bottle
Leave some for me
I'll get to it, eventually

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2023, 05:01:02 PM »
Well, it's not directly relevant to the post that started this discussion but It is relevant to its subject.

I'm a Big fan of Knopfler's work. I first heard DS music at 12yo, and Wild Theme and Going Home has been my very favorite songs from the start.
Knowing It is from a movie named "Local Hero" that tells the story of an American oil company in intent to purchase a small town in Scotland I automatically assumed "Wild Theme" is about the difficulties and well, bad news, and "Going home" must have been the happy ending where they manage in resisting the purchase etc.
A few month ago I watched the movie for the first time (loved it, obviously), at first I was very much surprised cause it wasn't really as I imagined it would be. Later I was very confused, because to me Going Home was always a happy and energetic song but the the ending of the film doesn't align with it.
I think I found my own answer, or maybe two different answers to this question, but I'd like to hear what other fans think and feel about it. Did your journey with these two songs resemble mine?

To me, Wild theme sounds quiet, relaxing, bucolic, pastoral, rustic.... well, all that you can think at "wild nature" in my mind. And I always thought it's called that way because the music goes with wild landscapes of the highlands, but I could be wrong.

BTW, I used the song for my wedding.... and now I am divorcing... you talked about "difficulties" ?  :lol :lol :lol

I agree that Going home is a bit paradoxal regarding the movie. McIntyre seems in a bad mood when he's going home. So the first part of the song fits with his mood I guess. But then, you have the second part with the ending titles which have a completely different mood, very happy, musically speaking.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I assume that the phone ringing we heard in the last shot seems to proove that Mcintyre is calling and wants to go back to Scotland... at least that's how I understand it. So, in a way, you could see it as a "happy ending" because, you can imagine that few weeks/months later, McIntyre will return to Scotland and have the life he always wanted to have... and "going home" would mean that his "real home" is now the new one, in Scotland...
English is not my native langage, so mabye I understood the movie in a wrong way...  :think

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2023, 05:24:39 PM »

Great post. I think we are going to dig too deep into it of course, as any music analysis should be, because I don't think Mark ever thought about this during the making of the soundtrack. But it's safe to say that all of Mark's music is happy, and "Going Home" is a happy song. Because Mark is an optimist, and because whatever he's doing he can't possibly escape it. Every Mark's creation ends up with this, sometimes bittersweet and melancholic, but happy feel. I'm not sure he's capable of producing an "unhappy" song at all.

To me, Going Home celebrates this bittersweetness: it's happy and major, uptempo and live, and yet melancholic and sad at the same time. A perfect tune to end a movie, a concert or what have you. Go home, enjoy some tea, listen to some music, read a book and relax, do whatever you need to do. Or, on a more spiritual level, go to your real home, do what you really need to do, and follow your dreams, follow your heart. You can write a whole book about it. Or a musical...

And don't forget, to quote somebody, that Going Home sounds like a 1000-year-old tune, which it does. And this old music, all these traditional ballads and folk songs, often evoke the same kind of emotion. And Mark channelled this through his work somehow, which is pretty remarkable. And I can tell you, only a happy song can survive 1000 years! Even if it has dark lyrics or a sad melody, it must be happy to survive.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2023, 06:12:16 PM »
It was a happy song for.my wife, as when MK was playing it meant the show was about to end!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineSam96

• Guitar George
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2023, 10:36:08 PM »

To me, Wild theme sounds quiet, relaxing, bucolic, pastoral, rustic.... well, all that you can think at "wild nature" in my mind. And I always thought it's called that way because the music goes with wild landscapes of the highlands, but I could be wrong.

BTW, I used the song for my wedding.... and now I am divorcing... you talked about "difficulties" ?  :lol :lol :lol

I agree that Going home is a bit paradoxal regarding the movie. McIntyre seems in a bad mood when he's going home. So the first part of the song fits with his mood I guess. But then, you have the second part with the ending titles which have a completely different mood, very happy, musically speaking.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I assume that the phone ringing we heard in the last shot seems to proove that Mcintyre is calling and wants to go back to Scotland... at least that's how I understand it. So, in a way, you could see it as a "happy ending" because, you can imagine that few weeks/months later, McIntyre will return to Scotland and have the life he always wanted to have... and "going home" would mean that his "real home" is now the new one, in Scotland...
English is not my native langage, so mabye I understood the movie in a wrong way...  :think

I wonder what would have happen if you used Going Home instead  ;)
Regarding the last phone call to the phone booth, I thought that Mac might be going back there, but something feels off.
Maybe it's because Happer was so adamant about sending him home and even promoting him. It might be hard for Mac to ignore that once he return to his normal life.
Additionally, there was a call but no one was there to answer, it is the saddest thing that could have happened. Mac finally woke up, but the life he wished for and never knew he missed is too far away. As they missed his call, would he try again or lose his momentum? I may be a bit pessimistic, but I really think it's not that easy. The movie is not happy nor sad; it's just true. And if we're being truthful, the odds are that he will lose momentum.
Leave some for me

OfflineSam96

• Guitar George
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2023, 10:36:37 PM »

Great post. I think we are going to dig too deep into it of course, as any music analysis should be, because I don't think Mark ever thought about this during the making of the soundtrack. But it's safe to say that all of Mark's music is happy, and "Going Home" is a happy song. Because Mark is an optimist, and because whatever he's doing he can't possibly escape it. Every Mark's creation ends up with this, sometimes bittersweet and melancholic, but happy feel. I'm not sure he's capable of producing an "unhappy" song at all.

To me, Going Home celebrates this bittersweetness: it's happy and major, uptempo and live, and yet melancholic and sad at the same time. A perfect tune to end a movie, a concert or what have you. Go home, enjoy some tea, listen to some music, read a book and relax, do whatever you need to do. Or, on a more spiritual level, go to your real home, do what you really need to do, and follow your dreams, follow your heart. You can write a whole book about it. Or a musical...

And don't forget, to quote somebody, that Going Home sounds like a 1000-year-old tune, which it does. And this old music, all these traditional ballads and folk songs, often evoke the same kind of emotion. And Mark channelled this through his work somehow, which is pretty remarkable. And I can tell you, only a happy song can survive 1000 years! Even if it has dark lyrics or a sad melody, it must be happy to survive.

Of course, we'll be digging too deep, that's what this gathering is for, isn't it?
Overall, I agree with you, except for this one thing: "Knopfler isn't capable of producing an unhappy song." What about Haul Away? Hill Farmer's Blues? River of Grog?? and many more..
Some have a touch of optimism, but not all of them. I don't hear it anyway.
However, I do agree about Going Home itself. After a few more listens, I heard the bittersweetness and, to be more exact, the sense of missing opportunity. As I mentioned earlier, there's something very truthful here. It's not this or that, it is what it is.
Leave some for me

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 38 queries.