Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits Legacy?  (Read 11199 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Dire Straits Legacy?
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2023, 03:56:38 PM »
A lot of the people in the tribute bands aren't necessarily fans of the music.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2023, 04:01:40 PM »

Most of them are just hired musicians or even sometimes even the "owners" aren't fans, just people that like the money they make with the tribute

Personally I prefer tribute bands where at least the leader is a fan, it adds a piece of love to the tribute that makes it more honest that just milking the cow but, if the attendance enjoy it, good for them, that's what's important in the end, because everyone has to work to pay the bills.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2023, 04:11:48 PM »

Most of them are just hired musicians or even sometimes even the "owners" aren't fans, just people that like the money they make with the tribute

Personally I prefer tribute bands where at least the leader is a fan, it adds a piece of love to the tribute that makes it more honest that just milking the cow but, if the attendance enjoy it, good for them, that's what's important in the end, because everyone has to work to pay the bills.

Well, it actually makes sense, because a fan won't stand butchering of his beloved songs on stage, which is often the case. Hiring a singer is a good idea, tho if you're trying to imitate MK, you need to be a good singer AND guitar player, which is a tall order. And makes you appreciate his work even more!

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2023, 07:54:01 PM »

Well, it actually makes sense, because a fan won't stand butchering of his beloved songs on stage, which is often the case. Hiring a singer is a good idea, tho if you're trying to imitate MK, you need to be a good singer AND guitar player, which is a tall order. And makes you appreciate his work even more!

And again I agree :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2023, 03:47:31 PM »
I newly have heard about that band, called Dire Straits Legacy.  :think
That are three Italian musicians together with Alan Clark, Jack Sonni, Mel Collins, Danny Cummings, Phil Palmer and the former well known music-producer and "The Buggles" musician Trevor Horn.

I don´t know that Italian guys allready, but i think it is possible, that they are DS and MK fans and are able to do an adäquate job on stage.  What do you think, is that "All Star-Band" worth to listen to, and to visit their concerts? In September, they are in Germany for 4 shows, incl. Cologne. Ticket-prices around 60 Euro. :think 8)
We are fools to make war

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2023, 04:09:21 PM »
I newly have heard about that band, called Dire Straits Legacy.  :think
That are three Italian musicians together with Alan Clark, Jack Sonni, Mel Collins, Danny Cummings, Phil Palmer and the former well known music-producer and "The Buggles" musician Trevor Horn.

I don´t know that Italian guys allready, but i think it is possible, that they are DS and MK fans and are able to do an adäquate job on stage.  What do you think, is that "All Star-Band" worth to listen to, and to visit their concerts? In September, they are in Germany for 4 shows, incl. Cologne. Ticket-prices around 60 Euro. :think 8)

Marco, the MK impersonator (in a very good way), had an DS official cover band called Solid Rock many years ago.
Marco also had some gigs with Steve Phillips on Italy.
He is a nice and funny guy.
He is living a dream playing with Alan and the other former Straits members.

I miss Alan playing with MK.
I think that, if Mark had choosen Alan instead of Guy, his solo career was different musically speaking.
But Alan was a huge part of the Straits sound, so if Mark had choosen him, i think that MK's solo career would be too much close from the DS.

Nothing against Guy, for Gods seak.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2023, 04:13:52 PM »
I'm not sure, I think the music would have still gone the way MK wanted it to. He is always in charge. Alan was there for OES and it still had country leanings. He wasn't there for Golden Heart which still had some rockers.

Personally I'm pleased that MK solo isn't just a rehash of DS...
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2023, 11:41:19 AM »

I think that, if Mark had choosen Alan instead of Guy, his solo career was different musically speaking.
But Alan was a huge part of the Straits sound, so if Mark had choosen him, i think that MK's solo career would be too much close from the DS.

I have often wished for Alan instead of Guy, but I think Mark wanted a yes man and sounding board for his solo career.  I'm sure you're right regarding the DS sound too.

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2023, 12:25:12 PM »

+1  :thumbsup

I have often wished for Alan instead of Guy, but I think Mark wanted a yes man and sounding board for his solo career.  I'm sure you're right regarding the DS sound too.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2023, 03:27:41 AM »
If Mark had picked Alan instead of Guy they’d have split again very quickly hahaha
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2023, 04:37:49 AM »
Wow! Apparently, Dire Straits Legacy are going to play in Russia this December. In an interesting cruel joke, while Mark cancelled his show there 10 years ago, ahead of any Russophobia around the world, these guys go ahead and want to play in this "Promised Land". I can't even return to my own country and be safe, and this group has no problem with that. If that is true, then I would advise anyone to boycott their shows.

By the way, I remember this show cancelling debate sparked a lot of hatred and people leaving the forum, including me, but at the time, in this context, I was against this decision from MK. It's easy to support it now, knowing all that happened, though. Let's just say Mark was ahead of time. Now it makes sense.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2023, 10:01:13 AM »
Apparently?

Asking for a boicot with an apparently doesn't seems fair.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2023, 11:17:34 AM »
https://myrockshows.com/band/5556-dire-straits/country/52-russia/

Thank you. I just saw the news on a Russian website and couldn't find it on any foreign website. I do hope they'll change that.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2023, 11:21:18 AM »
Apparently?

Asking for a boicot with an apparently doesn't seems fair.

I said apparently not because I'm not sure about the show, I knew the date, but because I just couldn't believe it. Seems like it was maybe a glitch in the system or something and a show that was planned a couple of years ago, or else it just blows my mind on multiple levels.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 36 queries.