Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits Legacy?  (Read 11425 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Dire Straits Legacy?
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2023, 11:38:27 AM »
Wow! Apparently, Dire Straits Legacy are going to play in Russia this December. In an interesting cruel joke, while Mark cancelled his show there 10 years ago, ahead of any Russophobia around the world, these guys go ahead and want to play in this "Promised Land". I can't even return to my own country and be safe, and this group has no problem with that. If that is true, then I would advise anyone to boycott their shows.

By the way, I remember this show cancelling debate sparked a lot of hatred and people leaving the forum, including me, but at the time, in this context, I was against this decision from MK. It's easy to support it now, knowing all that happened, though. Let's just say Mark was ahead of time. Now it makes sense.

Oh, and guess what. I'm already being contacted by Russian people asking whether it's really Dire Straits with Mark Knopfler or not. I can't blame the people for the lack of information or skills to find it, but I will blame the band for all it's worth.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2023, 01:12:05 PM »
https://myrockshows.com/band/5556-dire-straits/country/52-russia/

No sense. Dire Straits legacy title and DS photo from 1978. Why is such a signal and photo going out into the world...  I won't be nervous.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 01:24:53 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2023, 01:24:19 PM »

No sense. Dire Straits legacy title and DS photo from 1978. I won't be nervous.

So, are you implying that somebody's trying to fake a show of a tribute band? Who on Earth can benefit from something like that?

And the link to buy tickets leads to Yandex Afisha, which is like one of the biggest tickets aggregators in Russia, certainly with approved shows.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2023, 01:27:38 PM »
I'm not suggesting anything. The photo is wrong and that's it.
Clear as the day

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2023, 02:38:02 PM »

So, are you implying that somebody's trying to fake a show of a tribute band? Who on Earth can benefit from something like that?

And the link to buy tickets leads to Yandex Afisha, which is like one of the biggest tickets aggregators in Russia, certainly with approved shows.

Journalist nowadays are lazy, probably they search internet and put the first picture they found.

Also promoters wants to sell tickets so they would sell more if they out a picture like that.

Same old story.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2023, 02:40:10 PM »
Apparently?

Asking for a boicot with an apparently doesn't seems fair.

I said apparently not because I'm not sure about the show, I knew the date, but because I just couldn't believe it. Seems like it was maybe a glitch in the system or something and a show that was planned a couple of years ago, or else it just blows my mind on multiple levels.

The date is not on their site, let's say "yet"

http://www.dslegacy.com/dsllive-tour/
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2023, 12:27:18 AM »

There are 2 pictures

The one on the top is DS but below the one on the All upcoming events section is featuring DSLegacy on it.
And when you click on the link this is the same DSL picture

This add is problably some fake news from the FSB  ;D or these guys are completly nuts  :thumbsdown

Or...
Ukrain win the war
Putin  resigns
Democratics elections take part in Russia

All that before december 7 2023  :clap

« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 12:31:13 AM by ds1984 »
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2023, 03:34:48 PM »
A couple of remarks after reading this thread:

I'm sure DS was the peak of many band member's careers as musicians. But, although nobody has said it out loud yet, that also applies to Mark. Which might indicate something about the team effort in the DS project, that the contributions made by the others were actually quite important. If not, then why aren't the 96ers as successful? We can always laugh at the works of the old band members who are in tribute bands now, but it's not hard to look at the charts and realize that one should thread carefully - despite MK having a momentum from his name only the others can't match, not much of his solo stuff is appreciated outside of our little bubble. STP is the one exception, and MAYBE GH (but that could just as well be "leftover momentum" from BIA, just like OES sold way more than it deserved because people expected it to be as good as BIA).

And sure, it's fun to speculate about "the valley of Alan Clarks carreer". And then you listen to MFN from the 2019 tour, and realize that there are more people that might be down in the valley somewhere. Or even the albums. They're just not even close to as good as they were around 1996-2005.

Personally, I prefer to lift people up rather than tearing them down - but make no mistake. Just because we're on a MK fan forum, that doesn't mean you can't treat him like one of the tribute band guys and slap him around a bit. I like equal treatment :)

(and given the state of Mark nowadays, even if he had toured, you'd probably get a better DS sound elsewhere, anyway. It's like he's 15 years older than all the other guys.)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2023, 04:35:52 PM »
I think Mark had success outside of DS. Have musicians from tribute bands been successful?
Clear as the day

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2023, 05:18:40 PM »

I'm sure DS was the peak of many band member's careers as musicians. But, although nobody has said it out loud yet, that also applies to Mark. Which might indicate something about the team effort in the DS project, that the contributions made by the others were actually quite important. If not, then why aren't the 96ers as successful? We can always laugh at the works of the old band members who are in tribute bands now, but it's not hard to look at the charts and realize that one should thread carefully - despite MK having a momentum from his name only the others can't match, not much of his solo stuff is appreciated outside of our little bubble. STP is the one exception, and MAYBE GH (but that could just as well be "leftover momentum" from BIA, just like OES sold way more than it deserved because people expected it to be as good as BIA).

And sure, it's fun to speculate about "the valley of Alan Clarks carreer". And then you listen to MFN from the 2019 tour, and realize that there are more people that might be down in the valley somewhere. Or even the albums. They're just not even close to as good as they were around 1996-2005.

Personally, I prefer to lift people up rather than tearing them down - but make no mistake. Just because we're on a MK fan forum, that doesn't mean you can't treat him like one of the tribute band guys and slap him around a bit. I like equal treatment :)

(and given the state of Mark nowadays, even if he had toured, you'd probably get a better DS sound elsewhere, anyway. It's like he's 15 years older than all the other guys.)

:clap

Totally agree.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2023, 05:23:01 PM »
The 96s are all successful in their own right.  They all have their own careers outside of Mark's band!   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2023, 05:25:43 PM »

Being in a famous band is a peak for almost anyone, whether it's some Russian band, The Beatles, The Police, or anyone else. The power of the brand is always bigger than the power of the individual. What you do after this peak is another question... Mark and Sting were principal songwriters, so they can just continue doing what they were doing already with different musicians, which is more or less what happened.

Other musicians are almost guaranteed to fall into this tribute thing at some point or another. How you deal with it is the main challenge. I like how Steward Copeland instead of creating just another tribute band put out a show with an orchestra and 3 great singers "replacing" Sting and playing The Police songs. That's creative and original.

What was the problem for me and for a lot of people I know, was that DSL is just too simple of a concept. No imagination is needed. Take a great band with one of the most unique, irreplicable, and charismatic leaders who lead the band from a humble 4-piece outfit to an orchestra through his 60 songs, replace him, then find a couple of musicians who apparently made a solid impact on the band, and tour with it.

But all of a sudden, it turns out that it's not that easy to reproduce DS, and the project was almost bound to fail from the get-go. I'd rather leave tributes for non-band musicians and have Alan Clark touring with solo piano recitals playing DS music, than having this Frankenstein's monster of tribute bands, "original" "band members", former music legends and questionable marketing.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2023, 05:31:09 PM »

Being in a famous band is a peak for almost anyone, whether it's some Russian band, The Beatles, The Police, or anyone else. The power of the brand is always bigger than the power of the individual. What you do after this peak is another question... Mark and Sting were principal songwriters, so they can just continue doing what they were doing already with different musicians, which is more or less what happened.

Other musicians are almost guaranteed to fall into this tribute thing at some point or another. How you deal with it is the main challenge. I like how Steward Copeland instead of creating just another tribute band put out a show with an orchestra and 3 great singers "replacing" Sting and playing The Police songs. That's creative and original.

What was the problem for me and for a lot of people I know, was that DSL is just too simple of a concept. No imagination is needed. Take a great band with one of the most unique, irreplicable, and charismatic leaders who lead the band from a humble 4-piece outfit to an orchestra through his 60 songs, replace him, then find a couple of musicians who apparently made a solid impact on the band, and tour with it.

But all of a sudden, it turns out that it's not that easy to reproduce DS, and the project was almost bound to fail from the get-go. I'd rather leave tributes for non-band musicians and have Alan Clark touring with solo piano recitals playing DS music, than having this Frankenstein's monster of tribute bands, "original" "band members", former music legends and questionable marketing.

Well said!     :clap
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2023, 05:42:41 PM »

I might just agree with you if they were touring playing their own songs, but they are playing MK's songs with an Italian singer/guitarist!   Also regarding preferring to lift people up rather than tearing them down, you are doing the very best you can to tear MK down and he is the one who wrote all of the songs.  Unbelievable!    Without MK's songs DSL would be nowhere!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 06:09:49 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2023, 05:46:57 PM »

I might just agree with you if they were touring playing their own songs, but they are playing MK's songs with an Italian singer/guitarist!   Also regarding preferring to lift people up rather than tearing them down, you are doing the very best you can to tear MK down and he is the one who wrote all of the songs!  Unbelievable!

:thumbsup
Clear as the day

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 38 queries.