Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Ed Bicknell Interview  (Read 15740 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Ed Bicknell Interview
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2023, 10:05:44 AM »
I am surprised to see that hunter has left the forum. I enjoyed reading his contributions and I'm sorry he is no longer here.  Sorry to be off-topic btw!

Indeed/ Sometimes people just need a digital detox, hopefully Hunter returns at some point. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2023, 10:41:00 AM »
I am surprised to see that hunter has left the forum. I enjoyed reading his contributions and I'm sorry he is no longer here.  Sorry to be off-topic btw!

Indeed/ Sometimes people just need a digital detox, hopefully Hunter returns at some point. :)
indeed Dusty. that is exactly what happened- Hunter was not dissatisified on here, but wanted to get rid of various digital distractions of life, which for him included, besides the usual FB, insta etc. also this forum. so he requested me to delete his account (but i decided to leave his posts active)
he will be happy to read, as a guest, your comment Val.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2023, 07:23:04 PM »

His posts were interesting and noteworthy - not the typical Knopfler worship, which is pointless.  I hope he'll be back.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinemariosboss

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2023, 01:50:12 AM »
Hmm, quite an interesting allegation, would be good to hear Pick’s thoughts on it.

They are not allegations whatsoever. Pick is my source.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2023, 06:54:23 AM »
Hmm, quite an interesting allegation, would be good to hear Pick’s thoughts on it.

And that source can be checked where?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2023, 10:45:51 AM »

Yeah, I hate doubting anyone but other than the Dr Parkinson bit it really sounds like real drums to me on LoG, would be interesting to hear what Pick has to say about it. The drum machines available at the time were quite primitive.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2023, 11:14:48 AM »

Yeah, I hate doubting anyone but other than the Dr Parkinson bit it really sounds like real drums to me on LoG, would be interesting to hear what Pick has to say about it. The drum machines available at the time were quite primitive.

yes I always wondered what exactly meant Ed Walsh's job "synth program"

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2023, 11:23:48 AM »
I remember an interview were Pick said that recording Industrial disease was a painful and non-gratifying experience for him.

And yes, he said that Mark's intention was to put more and more keyboards (1 keyboard for the OL tour, 2 were planned for the LOG tour) and that was diminishing the drums's role and he had had enough...

Pick was brillant on the first 3 albums and the first 2 tours. On the OL tour he seems a bit out of place - with the new, longer version of Sultans, you can hear that it's not his thing, and that Terry would do a much better job in this new stadium area.

Pick was more subtle, Terry was more powerful, both were great, and by the way they are the best of friends today...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 11:33:07 AM by herlock »

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2023, 11:30:40 AM »

yes I always wondered what exactly meant Ed Walsh's job "synth program"

Just had a quick look at Ed Walsh's credits online, he seems to be a synth player rather than a drum programmer. Could be him playing the synths at the start of Telegraph Road.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2023, 12:05:34 PM »

From 39 mins, hear and see Pick tell the story himself.

Pick plays real drums along to a drum machine that played the industrial hissing sounds etc.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2023, 12:26:55 PM »
Well, playing alone a prerecorded programmed drums is not the same than don't play drums I'm songs...

That's very usual since machines like the Lin drums appeared as they allow musicians to do demos just programming and then real musicians play real drums over that demos programmed.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2023, 12:31:09 PM »
Well, playing alone a prerecorded programmed drums is not the same than don't play drums I'm songs...

Correct. Although anyone can listen to Love Over Gold and tell it's real drums and not a drum machine, it's quite obvious.

That's very usual since machines like the Lin drums appeared as they allow musicians to do demos just programming and then real musicians play real drums over that demos programmed.

Yes although as Pick says, the drum machine wasn't used that way in this instance, it was used to get "industrial" type sounds for the track.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2023, 01:00:21 PM »

Correct. Although anyone can listen to Love Over Gold and tell it's real drums and not a drum machine, it's quite obvious.

Yes although as Pick says, the drum machine wasn't used that way in this instance, it was used to get "industrial" type sounds for the track.

Didn't listened to the interview as I did back in time and more or less remember what he said.

I remember having a discussion about the sound of drums in "freeway flyer" from Local Hero who a friend of mine says is a Linn Drum machine and I always say that is Terry playing alone a prerecorded Linn recorded track, and probably equalised to sound as dry as the machine itself!

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2023, 02:13:18 PM »

Didn't listened to the interview as I did back in time and more or less remember what he said.

I remember having a discussion about the sound of drums in "freeway flyer" from Local Hero who a friend of mine says is a Linn Drum machine and I always say that is Terry playing alone a prerecorded Linn recorded track, and probably equalised to sound as dry as the machine itself!

on Freeway flyer Terry is credited
but in Going Home he isn't. so I wonder if there is a drum machine in GH but not on local Hero's other tracks ?  :think

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2023, 02:34:40 PM »
Interesting question!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 38 queries.