Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!  (Read 106083 times)

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
Re: New DS Live Box Set, 3rd November 2023!
« Reply #1200 on: December 21, 2023, 09:10:22 PM »

I've also been a boss, and I like to give my employees freedom to solve their exercises the way they want to, and then they can ask for advice if needed.

That was a bit like how McCartney worked. I can't remembering him telling me what to play during the tour rehearsals.
It's an ideal, but quite rare in music. Most band leaders are dictators.

I wonder if the fact that Guy described himself as band leader has any significance on this. I remember him saying something like “I guess I’m better suited in that role than Mark.”

Maybe mark realised that he wasn’t the best suited person in his line up for that role.

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #1201 on: December 21, 2023, 09:26:29 PM »

I've also been a boss, and I like to give my employees freedom to solve their exercises the way they want to, and then they can ask for advice if needed.

That was a bit like how McCartney worked. I can't remembering him telling me what to play during the tour rehearsals.

I wonder if the fact that Guy described himself as band leader has any significance on this. I remember him saying something like “I guess I’m better suited in that role than Mark.”

Maybe mark realised that he wasn’t the best suited person in his line up for that role.

I think you are confusing "band leader" with "music director". Guy has functioned as music director.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 09:56:01 PM by hunter v2.0 »

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #1202 on: December 22, 2023, 09:29:20 AM »
In the On Every Street tour rehearsals Mark was definitely the boss. Guy and Alan were his right hand men, they would suggest things, they would come up with ideas, but in the end Mark would have the final say.

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #1203 on: December 22, 2023, 09:57:19 AM »
I found the question and answer on Guy's website:

By: Tim Littman
Categories: Tour
May 20, 2015

Q: Hi! On previous tours I remember you being the musical director. Is this still the case and if so how come MK doesn’t do it? Many thanks.

A: Yes, I’m better suited to that role I suppose.

It's more of a assistant/facilitator role, isn't it? Handling practical things rather than artistic aspects. Maybe Chris could shed some light on this?

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #1204 on: December 22, 2023, 11:41:06 AM »
In the On Every Street tour rehearsals Mark was definitely the boss. Guy and Alan were his right hand men, they would suggest things, they would come up with ideas, but in the end Mark would have the final say.

As far as I remember, in those days it was Alan Clark the musical director, but as his role was also the main keyboardist, probably he wanted Guy sharing the MC duties as well. As you say, they were his right and left hands.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #1205 on: December 22, 2023, 11:51:59 AM »
From my memory, once the rehearsals started (I don't know about the album), Guy was definitely equal to Alan. After the tour of course Alan drifted off and Guy became Mark's most important side kick.
Alan seemed plugged in to the musical aspect of things, based on his piano and organ playing. Guy was great at the technology, sound and arrangements.

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #1206 on: December 23, 2023, 09:08:15 PM »

I think you are confusing "band leader" with "music director". Guy has functioned as music director.

Ah yeah excuse my ignorance. That was the quote from Guy’s forum that I was thinking of too.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #1207 on: December 26, 2023, 01:27:27 PM »
A question did just pop in my mind : wans't the Mandela gig recorded using a multitrack ?

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #1208 on: December 26, 2023, 01:44:49 PM »
A question did just pop in my mind : wans't the Mandela gig recorded using a multitrack ?

I don't think so, it was a live broadcast, those are usually just stereo mix for the radio and tv broadcast, not sure if many tv stations broadcasted in stereo in 1988.

Maybe they recorded it too in multitracks just in case, but everything I heard about this concert is just the stereo live broadcast.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #1209 on: December 26, 2023, 02:08:48 PM »
By 1988 stereo TV broadcasting was available in US (cable television), Germany and Japan.

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #1210 on: December 26, 2023, 05:53:53 PM »

I don't think so, it was a live broadcast, those are usually just stereo mix for the radio and tv broadcast, not sure if many tv stations broadcasted in stereo in 1988.

Maybe they recorded it too in multitracks just in case, but everything I heard about this concert is just the stereo live broadcast.

The only thing that makes me doubt this is that there are definitely at least two different mixes of this concert in existence.  One is from the radio / TV stereo broadcast which is my favourite : it has flaws (like missing the first sax fill in Sultans) but lots of ambience.   The second mix can be found on the Superstar Concert Series release which aired after the event to US syndicated networks.   This is a cleaner, more clinical and direct mix which I am guessing was remixed after the concert. The Solid Rock Bootleg comes from this source.  I don't like it as much.

A third and final possible mix can be found on the official VHS.  This might just be a better quality version of the first radio mix I mention, but sounds great.

I'd really love an official release of this important concert in Dire Straits history.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #1211 on: December 26, 2023, 06:00:31 PM »
The live mix and the superstar series have différent mixing\mastering.
Alan organ on the intro of WOL has not the same presence.

And Mark backing vocal on Wonderful Tonight too.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #1212 on: December 26, 2023, 06:05:31 PM »
What i would really like above all as a quality soundboard release is one of the last shows from 1981 (Paris, San Remo...). Unique versions and atmosphere. We only have Dortmund 80 with mono sound and Werchter 81 with atrocious sound, and no WDYTYRG.... I don't think besides these 2 there was any professional recording of this great tour?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 06:07:39 PM by herlock »

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #1213 on: December 26, 2023, 07:04:23 PM »

The only thing that makes me doubt this is that there are definitely at least two different mixes of this concert in existence.  One is from the radio / TV stereo broadcast which is my favourite : it has flaws (like missing the first sax fill in Sultans) but lots of ambience.   The second mix can be found on the Superstar Concert Series release which aired after the event to US syndicated networks.   This is a cleaner, more clinical and direct mix which I am guessing was remixed after the concert. The Solid Rock Bootleg comes from this source.  I don't like it as much.

A third and final possible mix can be found on the official VHS.  This might just be a better quality version of the first radio mix I mention, but sounds great.

I'd really love an official release of this important concert in Dire Straits history.

I do not like the Solid Rock Bootleg as well. Clapton's guitar is not really there.
He is doing quite a brillant rythm part on BIA on that evening. Simply stunning.
By the way: DOES anytone has the great version from the Laser disc or BBC VHS from Brothers in Arms for me?
Is this really the best version out there?
I would really dig a PM of a FLAC version.
Love will find a Way

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #1214 on: December 26, 2023, 07:32:21 PM »

Meant to add that this all leads me to believe there are multitrack tapes that allowed the "remix" for the Superstar Concert Series version of this concert. Just a theory but one I want to believe, leaving the door open for a future official version!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 35 queries.