Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Hypothetical Knopfler Live  (Read 1821 times)

OfflineSlowLearner

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Hypothetical Knopfler Live
« on: October 26, 2023, 01:45:46 PM »
Hello everyone, rare poster here. For a while, in private, once in a while when I'm free, I've been doing a sort of re-imagined Mark Knopfler solo live career, from his 1996 tour to the most recent shows. This idea was born from the news that MK will not be touring anymore, which led me to wonder about all the songs he hasn't played through the years. I have started to think about ''what if MK was to have a more varying set of songs through the years, with more balanced overall song stats than what it is right now.'' So I started to do it, it was either last year or this year, can't remember. I haven't done it in a while, but I've made it all the way to the 2008 tour for now. I plan to continue. However, a recent topic here on the forum ''why did Mark Knopfler quit playing Solid Rock and Private Investigations live'' led me to believe that there may be more interested people in this subject along with me.
So I came here to offer my project to you guys. I plan on doing it here, on this topic, hoping that you guys enjoy it. You may also chime in with requests. I consider what I have typed in or written so far in my series as ''liable to change''.
I want to try and give you guys a unique experience, if you're of course willing to use your imagination along with me. I would like to take you back to 1996 and MK's first solo live shows, where we would, together, begin a brand new journey. I will provide as many detailed info as possible on performances and arrangements of songs. you may always ask questions about it and I will try to answer.
This is not an attempt to in any way discredit Mark's already amazing live career as a solo artist - I am a big fan of it and wouldn't change a thing. But at the same time, knowing how amazing he is or was throughout the years, I would've liked to see more songs attempted in a live setting. With that being said, I don't promise that all songs will be played in this series, including the Dire Straits songs and Mark's solo efforts. Maybe they will. I'll let there be as much mystery and as many surprises as possible. This is all for fun anyway, and I hope you will be able to see it.
If this topic is not in the right place, you may move it elsewhere where it fits - like I said I am a rare poster here and am still not quite up-to-date with all the forum rules probably, but I am willing to learn.
Also, I will be as dynamic as you want me to be. I can post one show at a time and leave you wondering about the next show. Hopefully there'll be enough anticipation.
My idea is to start with the 1996 tour that promoted the album Golden Heart. In my series I have originally started with the Galway show, which was the first tour show. I completely excluded the promotional shows on TV or radio, that MK occasionally does. But if you want me to do those too, let me know, I'll consider that as well.
By the way, all the studio releases in this hypothetical series is the exact same as in real life, it's just that the show setlists will likely be different and maybe by a lot. We'll see. However, not everything will be similar as in real life. In my series, I don't plan to end it with the ''Down the road wherever'' tour in 2019. I have noticed that many people are hoping for more once-in-a-while shows (like in RAH for example) instead of tours which were taken away from us. In this universe, MK might do a few charity shows or something along those lines which will be early post-pandemic shows I guess, before the release of the new album. However, maybe there'll be a tour, in this universe, to promote the new album in 2024. We'll see. But, it'll take a while until we get there.
We're starting with 1996 and have a bunch of shows to go. I hope you'll be interested enough that we can take this series all the way.
You may of course leave your critiques as well, whether for me or for hypothetical MK for not playing some of your favorite songs. Enjoy this as much as you can and have all the fun you need.
P.S. I know that we live in a world of AI that might re-imagine certain songs live, but I don't know if it has gotten to that part yet, that it has developed enough to be able to do that, especially since MK is not really that much of a mainstream guy especially with his solo stuff for AI to know about him that much. I do admit that I myself don't use AI that much, and don't plan to use it, but if someone manages to create something for this series in that regard, they may share it here with the rest of us.

You may ask me all the questions you need and give me as many suggestions you need, before I can start sharing it with you - if you're of course okay with the idea. I sincerely hope that you are.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Hypothetical Knopfler Live
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 03:39:23 PM »
so are we truly sure now, that he will no longer tour? find it bizarre. seeing as Dylan still does, the stones, Macca, etc...
welcome Slow learner btw...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 03:42:18 PM »
now that i have read the whole thing, two things:
yes i would include the one off's and promo shows etc..
secondly, i am not entirely sure what you want to do here. can you just start :-)

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2023, 03:58:28 PM »
Yes, like Pottel, I find it interesting, but I'm not sure I understand everything you're planning here.

What I know is that I have often wondered what I would have done differently at each MK tour/show to make them the best I would have liked to get.
We fans are often frustrated or unhappy with song choice, length of concert, etc... but the question remains how to please everyone and how to find a satisfying formula for a tour when you are MK. His answer is to play what he wants to play and maybe that the best choice

Some have different setlists being alternated like the Cure does. They tour with 3 different setlists so that fans can have different experience (provided they pay for three show in a row)

I'm interested to know where this is going...

OfflineSlowLearner

• Guitar George
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2023, 05:18:34 PM »
This is the show that was later broadcasted and what we now know as ''A Night In London'', which was actually ''Later with Jools Holland''. In this universe, this was the set that Mark played:

15.04.1996     BBC Building London UK

01. Darling Pretty
02. Lady Writer
03. My Claim To Fame
04. Setting Me Up
05. Golden Heart
06. No Can Do
07. Rudiger
08. Cannibals
09. Gravy Train
encore
10. Romeo and Juliet

first solo concert by MK
01, 03, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09 - live debuts
02 - first performance since 1981, first time solo
04, 10 - first performances since 1992, first time solo
''Don't You Get It'' was on the written setlist and was in consideration, but wasn't played

Next concert is the opener of the Golden Heart Tour 1996, it takes place in Galway on April 24, 1996.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2023, 08:32:25 AM »
again, still not sure what you are trying to tell/share with us?

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2023, 09:55:36 AM »
I like A night in London as it is personaly, I'm only regretting he didn't choose to play Water of Love as that version is wonderful I think.
No can do and Vic and Ray would have been nice addition too.
plus your vision takes out all the guests who graced that particular show. Sonny Landreth added magic as Paul Franklin did on the track they played on.
I'm not sure old numbers such as Lady or Setting would have fit a setlist mainly based on new songs from his first ever solo album at the time. The Straits hits he chose to play were classics. The evening was meant to be an introduction to his solo career I think.
And last but not least, this concert featured some film soundtrack, Father and Son add the celtic flavour that is a staple of MK's solo career. I wouldn't take them out of the list either.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2023, 10:02:03 AM »
so are we truly sure now, that he will no longer tour? find it bizarre. seeing as Dylan still does, the stones, Macca, etc...

Unfortunately, i think soo.. GF said this a couple of days ago about Brexit:

It is not the reason Mark has decided to stop playing live.
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2023, 10:21:56 AM »

Unfortunately, i think soo.. GF said this a couple of days ago about Brexit:

It is not the reason Mark has decided to stop playing live.

If this means more songs, I'll take it. All the people you've mentioned pretty much play off their old stuff, and Macca write songs like "Fuh You" and plays with Kanye West to... I don't know why, to be honest. I guess he's just having fun. With the Stones, I always felt they wanted to set the Guinness book record for the longest-standing band, never understood being a granddad and dancing on the stage. Cliff Richard still sings cheesy songs and is autotuned like crazy.

Never was a fan of this "I'll play for people until I die" cliché, which Mark also applied to himself, or at least tried to. Music, especially singing, is a pretty demanding discipline, almost like a sport, if you can pull it off in your 70s and 80s, or even 90s, then good for you, but it's definitely not just reading poetry, and you will sound like an old man, want you it or not.

I'll take retirement with dignity over a slow decline into a beaten boxer who's fighting in the ring for too long every time.

And the Stones? Their drummer died, and they just continued playing with a new drummer. The show must go on.

OfflineSlowLearner

• Guitar George
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2023, 12:18:29 PM »
again, still not sure what you are trying to tell/share with us?

I'm doing a series of all MK career solo shows from 1996 onward re-imagined using pure imagination, as a way of ''making it up'' to the fans of MK for there being no more MK shows anymore in the future (for now), hoping that you guys following the forum daily will be entertained and so that you and I could have something to do together and hopefully enjoy. We're waiting for a new album, there's no more live shows for now as we know, so with not much going on, I wanted to give you something that's ''going on''. This is also a tribute to MK in a way and his illustrious live career. As a big fan of it, I wanted to have some fun re-imagining it, hoping to make it even better if possible, with not much of a static set as there has been through the years.

I like A night in London as it is personaly, I'm only regretting he didn't choose to play Water of Love as that version is wonderful I think.
No can do and Vic and Ray would have been nice addition too.
plus your vision takes out all the guests who graced that particular show. Sonny Landreth added magic as Paul Franklin did on the track they played on.
I'm not sure old numbers such as Lady or Setting would have fit a setlist mainly based on new songs from his first ever solo album at the time. The Straits hits he chose to play were classics. The evening was meant to be an introduction to his solo career I think.
And last but not least, this concert featured some film soundtrack, Father and Son add the celtic flavour that is a staple of MK's solo career. I wouldn't take them out of the list either.

In this alternate universe, the musicians were the same. Lady Writer and Setting Me Up were used in different arrangements, suitable for the show's atmosphere. I just didn't want to give too many details yet, it would be hard to follow all at once. I like to leave room for people following this topic to ask questions themselves and get involved as well. I don't like to do all the work obviously, because that would be selfish. Thank you for some of your requests by the way, they are noted going forward and might be useful. Feel free to request anything for re-imagined MK.

OfflineSlowLearner

• Guitar George
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2023, 12:32:24 PM »
Now, if I may continue?

The next show we have is this one:

Leisureland Galway Ireland

01. The Way It Always Starts
02. Walk Of Life
03. Romeo and Juliet
04. Sultans of Swing
05. Darling Pretty
06. On Every Street
07. Private Investigations
08. Portobello Belle
09. I'm The Fool
10. Galway Bay
11. Brothers in Arms
12. Golden Heart
no encore

first show of the Golden Heart Tour 1996
Mark Knopfler - guitar, vocals; Guy Fletcher - keyboards, backing vocals; Richard Bennett - guitar; Glenn Worf - bass, backing vocals; Jim Cox - piano, backing vocals; Chad Cromwell - drums; guest musicians The Electra Strings

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2023, 07:24:16 AM »
very short though no?

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2023, 08:12:23 AM »
very short though no?

Of course not.
There is a 30 minute PB outro featuring Guy :)

OfflineSlowLearner

• Guitar George
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2023, 01:02:37 PM »
City Hall Cork Ireland

01. The Way It Always Starts
02. Walk Of Life
03. Last Exit to Brooklyn
04. Romeo and Juliet
05. Sultans of Swing
06. Darling Pretty
07. No Can Do
08. Private Investigations
09. Father and Son
10. Portobello Belle
11. I'm The Fool
12. Galway Bay
13. Golden Heart
14. The Lily of the West
15. Brothers In Arms
no encore

show #2 of Golden Heart Tour 1996
Mark Knopfler - guitar, vocals; Guy Fletcher - keyboards, backing vocals; Richard Bennett - guitar; Glenn Worf - bass, backing vocals; Jim Cox - piano, backing vocals; Chad Cromwell - drums; guest musicians The Electra Strings
tour debuts of ''Last Exit to Brooklyn'', ''Father and Son'' and ''Lily of the West''
no ''On Every Street'' like the previous show, was replaced with ''No Can Do''

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2023, 09:59:28 AM »
15 songs, better!
but we all know that they tend to play far more songs at the beginning of tour as compared to more towards the end. so i expect at least 22 here :-)
kidding (a bit)
nice/interesting effort.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 38 queries.