Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Beatles last song on air on November 2nd  (Read 3620 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: Beatles last song on air on November 2nd
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2023, 11:11:53 AM »
I'm not very sure if taking a John Lennon unreleased song and overdub the rest of the band over it could be called a Beatles songs further than "the remaining Beatles with John Lennon".

If John, Alan and Guy take an unreleased demo of MK and overdub their parts, would you call it a Dire Straits song? It wasn't created to be a DS song anyway...

disagree about the comparison

DS was 90% MK with sidemen playing with him

The Beatles were 4 strong personnalities composing songs, sometimes together, sometimes alone.

so compare Beatles and DS is pointless imho

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2023, 11:37:39 AM »
I'm not very sure if taking a John Lennon unreleased song and overdub the rest of the band over it could be called a Beatles songs further than "the remaining Beatles with John Lennon".

If John, Alan and Guy take an unreleased demo of MK and overdub their parts, would you call it a Dire Straits song? It wasn't created to be a DS song anyway...

The Beatles were 4 strong personnalities composing songs, sometimes together, sometimes alone.

Maybe bad example but still the point is that this song are not The Beatles doing music together, are Paul and Ringo playing along a recording of George Harrison, overdubing a John Lennon unreleased solo song, not written for the band.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2023, 12:10:39 PM »

It is what it is, at the end of the day it’s a marketing thing to sell albums, but it’s a nice song and I’m glad we have it, same with the 90s singles.

I mean, it's not un unreleased The Beatles song in the end, that I'm sure there are a lot to choose from as you can listen to a lot of unreleased songs in the "Get Back" documentary, songs created by the band working together as they used to do. It's an unreleased Lennon solo song!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2023, 12:21:21 PM »

Maybe bad example but still the point is that this song are not The Beatles doing music together, are Paul and Ringo playing along a recording of George Harrison, overdubing a John Lennon unreleased solo song, not written for the band.

The Beatles, especially McCartney, are famous for being overly romantic and cheesy, so no surprise it's basically Paul's song. I think generally speaking "resurrecting" old bands for whatever reason is pure comedy, even if it's The Beatles. The Beatles are no more since 1970, everything else is somebody's imagination...

Real Love and Free As A Bird are way stronger songs than Now And Then though. I wish the last one would be either of the first two.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2023, 11:15:52 PM »
my thoughts :

https://textes-blog-rock-n-roll.fr/la-derniere-chanson-des-beatles-en-mode-melancolique/

Thanks! I'll read it. Another idea I had — they could've arranged it in 4-piece, just like they started, that would tie it well as well. So many ideas anyway.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2023, 11:35:03 AM »
When the Beatles were together there was not solo career.

So the term "solo song" or "Beatles song" can't apply.
The three of them just wrote songs and put them on the collective album.

So being a John Lennon song is not the problem.

The problem is that John is dead and everything done has been without his consent.
One more time, the production team took his song and twisted it.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2023, 11:46:37 AM »
When the Beatles were together there was not solo career.

So the term "solo song" or "Beatles song" can't apply.
The three of them just wrote songs and put them on the collective album.

So being a John Lennon song is not the problem.

The problem is that John is dead and everything done has been without his consent.
One more time, the production team took his song and twisted it.

Yeah, this once again makes the whole idea of the term "band" ridiculous. They wrote The Beatles songs mostly on their own anyway, there were hardly any true 50/50 Lennon-McCartney songs unless it's literally two songs merged together like A Day In The Life. The main idea is always coming from an individual person.

The band is a brand, using a brand without an actual band means only one thing — a money grab. You can romanticise it till the cows come home, and create cheesy music videos with John Lennon looking at Paul McCartney, but it's most certainly NOT a new Beatles song.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2023, 02:52:48 PM »
They were a band in the sense that if John or Ringo or George came with a song written by any of them alone, they worked it together and arrange it together and recorded it together as a band. And that songs were written by the individuals to get arranged and recorded by the band.

When they had their solo careers they wrote songs for themselves not for the band.

So this song is a Lennon solo song in which the other members added their things as they wanted without interaction as a band, logically as Lennon was death at the start and George at the end. But the song wasn't written for the Beatles. The songs they wrote individually when they were a band, yes, those were written for the band.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2023, 06:57:46 PM »
during the first half of their career, until circa 1965, John and Paul wrote and composed together
many songs fomr this era are "50/50" paul and John, for exemple each writin a verse, or one for the chorus, the other one for the verses, etc...

indeed, in the second half (65-70) they did compose and write alone

the french site "yeelow-sub.net" tried to summarize which percent was written by each Beatle in each song

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2023, 09:47:16 PM »
WTF is this music video tho...

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2023, 01:21:50 AM »
I really liked the music video. So funny that it didn’t take itself too seriously, with John goofing around.

Peace and love. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2023, 10:53:15 AM »
I really liked the music video. So funny that it didn’t take itself too seriously, with John goofing around.

I think they went a little bit overboard with goofiness, to the point that I and a lot of other people thought they hired Stevie Riks to do the impressions. The cheesiness of it is also a bit too much to my taste, this John Lennon looking at the band and green-screen singing duo truly is cringe overload.

The director said he wanted to find a balance between a goofy, serious and sad video, and I think he failed at doing so. To think of it, they failed in everything they possibly could — the cover art is atrocious, the music video is too goofy, and the song is overly produced and compressed. Sad final.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2023, 11:42:33 AM »

I think they went a little bit overboard with goofiness, to the point that I and a lot of other people thought they hired Stevie Riks to do the impressions. The cheesiness of it is also a bit too much to my taste, this John Lennon looking at the band and green-screen singing duo truly is cringe overload.

The director said he wanted to find a balance between a goofy, serious and sad video, and I think he failed at doing so. To think of it, they failed in everything they possibly could — the cover art is atrocious, the music video is too goofy, and the song is overly produced and compressed. Sad final.

This is why you need a band... You need John or George to say something is rubbish when it's rubbish, without fear of being fired or imposing emotional damage to a music legend. Saying yes to everything. Cutting whole parts from the song, choosing lazy album covers, etc...

Just imagine, you have all the money in the world, all the time in the world, and you can pick any director alive to direct your music video, it's your latest go at the biggest band in the world. And all you come up with is this... Mind-blowingly sad.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2023, 11:50:47 AM »
I like the song, and appreciate the modern way of using John's voice, but the single cover artwork clearly took someone about 5 minutes to think about, which is a weird thing, because The Beatles were always know for their visuals aswell as their music!!!

I guess this A.I. approach could be used to extract Mark's voice and guitar from the audience recording of Two Skinny Kids.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 38 queries.