Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Love For John Illsley  (Read 4337 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Love For John Illsley
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2024, 03:50:24 PM »
I'd say that the difference is Glenn plays with proffesionality, John with passion.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2024, 03:55:37 PM »
I'd say that the difference is Glenn plays with proffesionality, John with passion.

This is a good and apt commentary.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2024, 04:57:29 PM »
Seems hard on John actually. Glenn is a virtuoso. But most rock bands do not have virtuoso bass players, and such may become too busy.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2024, 05:23:50 PM »

I think this is a bit over the top personally. I think we all love John as his role as an "ever present" in DS, and his bass playing was fine, but what was passionate about it?!

He basically just stood there or waddled from side to side (gaining him the nick name "The Penguin" as per that stupid book :) )
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2024, 05:55:10 PM »
Because he was a bass player in a band because it was his passion, not his work, and that's the way he faced his role in the band.

Glenn is a professional and playing bass is how he earns his life. And he always was and is that, a professional bass player who started playing bass as a proffesion.

John was passionate about playing and having a band, wasn't searching for a career as a session player.

English is not my mother tongue but I thought and still think my point was clear, and not over the top of anything, expression that I don't know what it means but I guess what could mean.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2024, 06:06:24 PM »
Because he was a bass player in a band because it was his passion, not his work, and that's the way he faced his role in the band.

Glenn is a professional and playing bass is how he earns his life. And he always was and is that, a professional bass player who started playing bass as a proffesion.

John was passionate about playing and having a band, wasn't searching for a career as a session player.

English is not my mother tongue but I thought and still think my point was clear, and not over the top of anything, expression that I don't know what it means but I guess what could mean.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

I guess I would counter that John initially was passionate about being a bass player but then it became his job.

I can't remember Glenn Worf's history but I guess this is the same for most professional musicians. The difference with John being that he struck it lucky with a successful band while Glenn got session work. I don't think that means one is more passionate or professional than the other.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2024, 06:19:39 PM »
Let's say it in other way...

When I play drums, I do it with passion.

When any professional play drums, he does it proffesionality.

Passion is what I can do, lol

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2024, 10:52:23 PM »
Picjk Withers is a pro and don't tell me he was not playing with passion.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2024, 11:11:47 PM »
Glenn is a hired gun, and on stage he was mostly in the background. John was a band member, and a founding member at that. He was Mark's close partner in the band and generally was a lot more energetic on stage, which may come across as being passionate. Awkward dance moves, though  ;D I like John. Musically any half-decent bass player could have taken his place, but DS without him wouldn't be quite the same.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2024, 11:26:49 PM »
In the same time we never experienced DS with another bassist than him so we are only guessing.

But Mark being Mark, if John had left I guess he would have opted for a professionnaly skilled bass player like he did for his brother' replacement on second guitar.

OfflineChris W

• Dire Straits drummer
  • Camerado
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2024, 11:52:39 AM »

I see this terrible misrepresentation all the time. I'm sure Glenn plays bass because he's passionate about music.
If you don't happen to hook up with a couple of like minded people early on (like Mark and David) you have to freelance. that is the ONLY difference.
There is no less passion in being a musician at the highest level, even a freelancer. It's not about searching for a career, it's about being so passionate about music you want to do music every day.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2024, 12:43:54 PM »
Something I think Mark was looking for in his solo band was multi-instrumentalists and Glenn had his "large instrument" on stage for some tunes.  How else could they play Bonaparte, for example?  Unfortunately it sounded like he was playing his own tunes at times.  Just listen to him playing over the twiddly bits during Sultans - what on earth is he playing?!!!  John was happy to take a back seat and do his job.  To me that is professionalism.

For me the bass is a background instrument and something you shouldn't really hear until it's gone.  John played to that rule, Glenn wanted to be heard.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 12:47:01 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2024, 01:21:58 PM »

I see this terrible misrepresentation all the time. I'm sure Glenn plays bass because he's passionate about music.
If you don't happen to hook up with a couple of like minded people early on (like Mark and David) you have to freelance. that is the ONLY difference.
There is no less passion in being a musician at the highest level, even a freelancer. It's not about searching for a career, it's about being so passionate about music you want to do music every day.

Well Chris, is not a misrepresentation, it's just that I'm not native in English and I find difficulties explaining myself correctly as I would do in my mother tongue.

Of course any proffesional musician have also passion for his work, that's not what I meant, I wanted to say something like John didn't search for a work as a session player, but being part of a band, because he wasn't searching for a job, but for a dream of being in a band.

I'm sure I also failed this time explaining myself, but well, I know what I mean, LOL

By the way Chris, a friend of mine is a proffesional drummer, and he plays currently with both the new incarnation of "Presuntos Implicados" and also with "Soledad Gimenez" in his solo career!, quite a coincidence when talking with you, that played with them, when they had her singing. He also plays with many good known artists and bands in Spain, and he started pursuing his dream of being in a band, which he did, and that made him notorious and ended played with many others as a hired gun.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2024, 01:24:32 PM »
In the same time we never experienced DS with another bassist than him so we are only guessing.

But Mark being Mark, if John had left I guess he would have opted for a professionnaly skilled bass player like he did for his brother' replacement on second guitar.

Yes, when MK started the band, he only wanted to play his songs with whoever wanted to join him, which happened to be his brother, the flat mate of his brother, and a proffesional musician he knew that was crazy enough to join them, lol

When the band had success, every step changing members had auctions to choose them, quite a difference from their start!

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2024, 01:31:24 PM »
Something I think Mark was looking for in his solo band was multi-instrumentalists and Glenn had his "large instrument" on stage for some tunes.  How else could they play Bonaparte, for example?  Unfortunately it sounded like he was playing his own tunes at times.  Just listen to him playing over the twiddly bits during Sultans - what on earth is he playing?!!!  John was happy to take a back seat and do his job.  To me that is professionalism.

For me the bass is a background instrument and something you shouldn't really hear until it's gone.  John played to that rule, Glenn wanted to be heard.

I have no problem with Glenn approach of SOS.
It is to the least approved by Mark, and to the most asked by Mark

So I would say Mark wanted Glenn to be heard.

Mark is the absolute boss and not one single note is played without his go.
Then there is the way the fans receive it but that is another story.
Glenn is doing too much? Maybe but that is a sum of individual tastes.

I remember Manu Katché about why he changed his drumming approach on Heavy Fuel, and how Manu saw  Mark in the control room going instantly nuts about that playing.
Action, reaction.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 01:43:01 PM by ds1984 »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 38 queries.