Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Europe Shows VS US Shows  (Read 1877 times)

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: Europe Shows VS US Shows
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2024, 09:34:16 PM »
Frankly, it has seemed for many years that Mark has used the opening shows to play the band in, or rather himself. The rehearsals became much shorter over time, and while this obviously had to do with a relatively stable band and a setlist seemingly developing over several tours, Mark was not quite there playing-wise.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2024, 09:48:53 PM »
Frankly, it has seemed for many years that Mark has used the opening shows to play the band in, or rather himself. The rehearsals became much shorter over time, and while this obviously had to do with a relatively stable band and a setlist seemingly developing over several tours, Mark was not quite there playing-wise.

Agree with this.  He'd become increasingly lazy with rehearsal times and was pretty much match fit by the NA leg.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineWario

• Guitar George
  • Don’t crash the ambulance, whatever you do
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2024, 09:54:24 PM »

Agree with this.  He'd become increasingly lazy with rehearsal times and was pretty much match fit by the NA leg.
But I don't think even NA was optimal since 2015 (it had its highlights, but I think its energy wasn't there sometimes).
It's all about the music.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2024, 10:03:18 PM »

But I don't think even NA was optimal since 2015 (it had its highlights, but I think its energy wasn't there sometimes).

True; he dropped TR during the NA leg in 2015.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineWario

• Guitar George
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2024, 07:03:00 PM »

NA usually suffers in the setlist, in 2008 PFP was abandoned for the next 5 years and in 2015 TR, OSL and KOG were abandoned. I also think that (although some fans may hate me) it was time to let SOS and TR go. I don't know why Mark wanted to revive Telegraph Road in 2019 (although I appreciate his effort), things change.

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2024, 08:49:51 PM »
TR stayed in the setlist for far too long. It seemed weak and uninspired before it went.

From a broader perspective, there should have been bigger changes between the tours. It often felt like watching the same tour, with modifications.

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2024, 09:39:51 PM »
TR stayed in the setlist for far too long. It seemed weak and uninspired before it went.

From a broader perspective, there should have been bigger changes between the tours. It often felt like watching the same tour, with modifications.
I remember during the Tracker tour, many members here were jokingly saying it should have been called the "Privatracker" Tour.

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2024, 11:23:48 PM »

NA usually suffers in the setlist, in 2008 PFP was abandoned for the next 5 years and in 2015 TR, OSL and KOG were abandoned. I also think that (although some fans may hate me) it was time to let SOS and TR go. I don't know why Mark wanted to revive Telegraph Road in 2019 (although I appreciate his effort), things change.

TR was played like 5 or 6 times only right? If I remember properly the end solo was a bit of a blooper fest - besides the UGLY Pensa tone they got out of the Kemper -

OfflineWario

• Guitar George
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2024, 11:49:19 PM »

I remember during the Tracker tour, many members here were jokingly saying it should have been called the "Privatracker" Tour.
I have the same feeling, he did it too much (about TR). I remember when I started watching MK tours, I found the Tracker tour less interesting than the others (because my first impression was "this is essentially the same as 2013 but 2013 is better"). I think Mark played it safe, knowing what worked for him in the past, with some changes but not the right ones in my opinion. I would have made a more energetic and fresh show by sacrificing the songs I could no longer play correctly and replacing them with the correct songs. I think of obvious inclusions from Beryl and Darling Pretty to Why Worry or Wild West End (which I never understood how he didn't include in his solo shows). By the way, I think he totally got it right with WAM, OUATITW, SB and MFN on the next tour.

Offlinexardas

• Local Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2024, 06:58:03 AM »
Best solo of SFA in last few decades was played at Nort Americ tour. I dont know where he got inspired that night..?

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2024, 07:19:35 AM »
Best solo of SFA in last few decades was played at Nort Americ tour. I dont know where he got inspired that night..?

This one's better!

OfflineWario

• Guitar George
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2024, 07:30:37 AM »

Outstanding performance, Mark was really on form in 2012. I think he slowed down after his accident in 2003, the 2005 tour is excellent but not the same as 1996 or 2001. Either way, he continued to maintain the level 2008 and 2010. I think his last year at the top was 2013.

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2024, 09:57:29 AM »

Exactly had the same feelings. I was standing in Bremen in 2013 and thought: hmmmm, same as 3 years ago.
I left the bulls in front of the stage and got me a blonde.
That was the reason I bought only 1 ticket for the tracker tour. Somehow the fire of the gigs was gone.
Looking back I would say that Bilbao 2010 was really my last MK concert which I totally enjoyed in full.

OK the Bob Dylan gigs were not that bad either.

Back to topic. I would also say that the Band got really into shape within the US tours but the setlists got always shorter.
Exception: 2001 Sailing tour of course. I really loved that concerts. Sure, he started in 2001 with the US concerts
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 10:01:06 AM by Darling Pretty »
Love will find a Way

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2024, 02:07:54 AM »
I loved the 2015 og 2019 tours. Yes, he was older, but the shows were still great. I just think he makes deliberate choices that some of you don’t like. Not as fast as 30 years earlier. Slower songs. But still great tone, great songs, great musicians, good vibe, loud audiences, great reviews. You don’t have to like it or enjoy his choices or shows, but imo the quality was still high and the shows very enjoyable.

OfflineWario

• Guitar George
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2024, 05:09:11 AM »
I loved the 2015 og 2019 tours. Yes, he was older, but the shows were still great. I just think he makes deliberate choices that some of you don’t like. Not as fast as 30 years earlier. Slower songs. But still great tone, great songs, great musicians, good vibe, loud audiences, great reviews. You don’t have to like it or enjoy his choices or shows, but imo the quality was still high and the shows very enjoyable.
I think the quality of the show itself was always good. The thing is that Mark had to adapt to his limitations in his ability to play over time and progressively stopped being a "guitarist and singer" to become a "singer and guitarist." Just my opinion.
PS: I love them too (2015 and 2019 tours).

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 38 queries.