Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Unreleased Official Videos  (Read 1275 times)

OnlineWario

• Guitar George
  • Don’t crash the ambulance, whatever you do
Unreleased Official Videos
« on: January 14, 2024, 04:09:53 AM »
I'm really having fun reading a lot of information since I came onto the forum (which I would never have known about otherwise) and was reading about the "London Guy" who recorded Mark's IEM at the RAH and the whole scandal arose. Also about the (non) video releases of Madrid 2001, Montreux 2010, BBC 2013 and Copenhagen 2015 as far as I know. Why do you think none of them were released until today?
It's all about the music.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
Re: Unreleased Official Videos
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2024, 10:53:31 AM »
I'm really having fun reading a lot of information since I came onto the forum (which I would never have known about otherwise) and was reading about the "London Guy" who recorded Mark's IEM at the RAH and the whole scandal arose. Also about the (non) video releases of Madrid 2001, Montreux 2010, BBC 2013 and Copenhagen 2015 as far as I know. Why do you think none of them were released until today?

They kept them to release once Mark has passed away  :think
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OnlineWario

• Guitar George
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 02:03:25 AM »

They kept them to release once Mark has passed away  :think
I don't want to believe they wait for that... I really hope for something new in video for the next few years. As I said, there is a lot of material that is probably gathering dust on some shelf, waiting to be released. Hopefully they are already working on something.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 09:22:30 AM »

It varies...

Madrid 2001 was shelved because apparently the audience was so loud that the sound of people screaming was very high captured by any mic on stage recording so they couldn't use the sound. They actually recorded three more shows just in audio (Bilbao, Newcastle and Glasgow) just to use the audio to solve that problem, but they didn't anything in the end.

BBC 2013 was shelved as MK had a lot of problems with guitar tunning acording people who attended the show, they had to stop many times and start again, so probably MK didn't like how everything came and asked to shelve it.

Montreux 2010 is a private recording that the person who runs the festival keep for him, I guess that he decides to release what he think it worths, and by any reason MK show isn't one of those.

Copenhaguen 2015, together with Barcelona 2015 and other NA gigs during that tour were recorded by Henrik Hansen to use some parts in a documentary that has never seen the light of day, apparently they are still recording things for that documentary so there is always hope that it could see the light of day one of these days...

You forget about London, Shepherd Bush Empire 2002 (MK and friends gig), they recorded in audio and video one show in full. Apparently that was made by the record company to be used in the RPD record promotion, actually they released in youtube, as far as I recall, videos of Why Aye Man and Quality Show of that recording, but that was all.

Nowadays I don't think any video would be released as sales of Dvd or Bluray seems not too much for the record companies to bother, at least with some artists.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 09:43:26 AM »
If they managed to solve the loud noise on the Beatles at The Hollywood Bowl concert release, surely the Madrid show could be solved.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 09:45:56 AM »
If they managed to solve the loud noise on the Beatles at The Hollywood Bowl concert release, surely the Madrid show could be solved.

Yes, I'm sure it can be solved, actually I'm sure that even most of us with just our home computer would do it.

The problem is that they don't want to do it, probably they think it doesn't worth the trouble.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 07:21:08 PM »
Still they could release the audio from the Bilbao, Newcastle and Glasgow shows.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2024, 10:28:54 PM »
Still they could release the audio from the Bilbao, Newcastle and Glasgow shows.

And the Shepherd Bush 2002

And the not already released shows from 2005

And the whole 2006 and 2008 tours

And the NA part of the 2010 tour.

A lot of recorded and unreleased stuff in audio.

OnlineWario

• Guitar George
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2024, 10:30:14 PM »

It varies...

Madrid 2001 was shelved because apparently the audience was so loud that the sound of people screaming was very high captured by any mic on stage recording so they couldn't use the sound. They actually recorded three more shows just in audio (Bilbao, Newcastle and Glasgow) just to use the audio to solve that problem, but they didn't anything in the end.

BBC 2013 was shelved as MK had a lot of problems with guitar tunning acording people who attended the show, they had to stop many times and start again, so probably MK didn't like how everything came and asked to shelve it.

Montreux 2010 is a private recording that the person who runs the festival keep for him, I guess that he decides to release what he think it worths, and by any reason MK show isn't one of those.

Copenhaguen 2015, together with Barcelona 2015 and other NA gigs during that tour were recorded by Henrik Hansen to use some parts in a documentary that has never seen the light of day, apparently they are still recording things for that documentary so there is always hope that it could see the light of day one of these days...

You forget about London, Shepherd Bush Empire 2002 (MK and friends gig), they recorded in audio and video one show in full. Apparently that was made by the record company to be used in the RPD record promotion, actually they released in youtube, as far as I recall, videos of Why Aye Man and Quality Show of that recording, but that was all.

Nowadays I don't think any video would be released as sales of Dvd or Bluray seems not too much for the record companies to bother, at least with some artists.
First of all, do you know if another show from 2013 or one from 2019 was recorded on video? Well, in any case, I get the impression that they think (perhaps Mark himself) that those performances are not up to par with his work in other times. If they released ANIL, RLRR and especially those promotional performances from 2007 (which I still like but they don't compare to his usual concerts), I don't see why (with a correct sound balance and good camera direction) it couldn't be released. Or else Mark is saving everything so as not to distract expectations with his next album...

OnlineWario

• Guitar George
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2024, 10:52:49 PM »

And the Shepherd Bush 2002

And the not already released shows from 2005

And the whole 2006 and 2008 tours

And the NA part of the 2010 tour.

A lot of recorded and unreleased stuff in audio.
Totally, I am especially interested in the KTGC tour of 2008. I hope the recordings have a good balance like those of the SL Tour (2005) and GL Tour (2010), since it is the intermediate period. Also because of the setlist of those shows (Cannibals as the opener, fresh HFB, 2007-style PFP, etc). I have a feeling that we will hear it soon and officially, leaving aside the scandal with the IEMs and the guy from London.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 03:57:03 AM by Wario »

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2024, 08:20:13 AM »

It varies...

First of all, do you know if another show from 2013 or one from 2019 was recorded on video? Well, in any case, I get the impression that they think (perhaps Mark himself) that those performances are not up to par with his work in other times. If they released ANIL, RLRR and especially those promotional performances from 2007 (which I still like but they don't compare to his usual concerts), I don't see why (with a correct sound balance and good camera direction) it couldn't be released. Or else Mark is saving everything so as not to distract expectations with his next album...

As far as I know, they didn't recorded anuthing else from 2013, unless they played the Montreux festival, which I can't remember, but that is not recorded by them but by the festival.

I think the Lisbon 2013 was recorded, at least some songs for the MK documentary "A life in songs", but I'm not sure if they recorded the concert as the only parts shown in that documentary comes from the soundchecks.

Regarding 2019, it is known that they bought the video recording the O2 Arena did for the screens during that concert. There is a chance that they did the same with the 2015 gig at the same venue, but there is no confirmation of that.

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2024, 08:26:02 AM »

It varies...

Madrid 2001 was shelved because apparently the audience was so loud that the sound of people screaming was very high captured by any mic on stage recording so they couldn't use the sound.

Oh no, what a terrible thing. For a LIVE experience....!
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2024, 08:40:14 AM »

It varies...

Madrid 2001 was shelved because apparently the audience was so loud that the sound of people screaming was very high captured by any mic on stage recording so they couldn't use the sound.

I was there. It wasn't only that the audience was very very loud, is also that they put wood chairs and everyone leave them and stayed on their feet for the whole show, so as the bullring arena was configurated with chairs, visually it looked full just close to the stage and empty more than half of the arena...

OnlineWario

• Guitar George
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2024, 03:20:00 PM »

It varies...

As far as I know, they didn't recorded anuthing else from 2013, unless they played the Montreux festival, which I can't remember, but that is not recorded by them but by the festival.

I think the Lisbon 2013 was recorded, at least some songs for the MK documentary "A life in songs", but I'm not sure if they recorded the concert as the only parts shown in that documentary comes from the soundchecks.

Regarding 2019, it is known that they bought the video recording the O2 Arena did for the screens during that concert. There is a chance that they did the same with the 2015 gig at the same venue, but there is no confirmation of that.
I've seen that they used clips from the O2 for the interview that aired in 2019 before the tour ended. I also learned that there were several technical problems in the middle of the show... I hope they have recorded other concerts and these recordings can be used as an official release and not just in small fragments. I also think Guy mentioned it. Could it be that Antwerp was also recorded?

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2024, 08:21:26 PM »

It varies...

I was there. It wasn't only that the audience was very very loud, is also that they put wood chairs and everyone leave them and stayed on their feet for the whole show, so as the bullring arena was configurated with chairs, visually it looked full just close to the stage and empty more than half of the arena...

Man I love how good the STP tour was!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 38 queries.