Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Any Mike Oldfield Fans  (Read 5126 times)

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
Re: Any Mike Oldfield Fans
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2023, 08:24:18 AM »
That's very true, although they do appear to be getting new fans through reaction videos on YouTube.

Although I love Tubular Bells, I will admit it is not in my top 5 of Mike's albums, and also, probably not the greatest album to introduce someone new to his music, the intro aside, I would suggest his 3rd album, Ommadawn, and interestingly, Tubular Bells 2 from 1992 which is my favourite album of the 3 Tubular albums, and the most accessible one too. The period from 1990 - 1996 was an incredible time musically for Mike.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2023, 12:03:45 AM »
That's very true, although they do appear to be getting new fans through reaction videos on YouTube.

Although I love Tubular Bells, I will admit it is not in my top 5 of Mike's albums, and also, probably not the greatest album to introduce someone new to his music, the intro aside, I would suggest his 3rd album, Ommadawn, and interestingly, Tubular Bells 2 from 1992 which is my favourite album of the 3 Tubular albums, and the most accessible one too. The period from 1990 - 1996 was an incredible time musically for Mike.

That's a fresh one. LOL, welcome to the world! Mark is a genius, who knew?

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2023, 08:17:17 AM »
He has reacted to lots of DS and solo MK and really likes the songs.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2023, 10:36:49 AM »
I was listening to a podcast yesterday and a music journalist was saying that his kids complained if he put on classic rock music by the likes of Led Zeppelin, but they were very happy to listen to stuff that was easier on the ear, as examples he gave Rumours, Avalon by Roxy Music and Making Movies.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2024, 12:40:15 PM »
Here is Mike playing his most famous song, and you can hear the Sultans twiddly bits near the end of the 2nd solo.

https://youtu.be/xqr5ah5zwmU?si=9k16DvSBNsf9iOyO

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2024, 05:42:52 PM »
Here is Mike playing his most famous song, and you can hear the Sultans twiddly bits near the end of the 2nd solo.

I remember listening to a version like this one years ago, and thinking the same. But then again, the twiddly bits in Sultans aren't so special nobody else could think the same thought.

I think this is the one I came across:

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2024, 07:44:45 PM »

I remember listening to a version like this one years ago, and thinking the same. But then again, the twiddly bits in Sultans aren't so special nobody else could think the same thought.

Sure, Mark said he improvised the twiddly bits in the studio, so it's not like a composed piece or something. The only reason it works is because it is a constant string of fast notes, that you achieve by applying some quite basic moves, and is quite easy to play, to be honest, but it sounds just like something Van Halen would shred, so people go crazy.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2024, 09:47:34 PM »
Of course the print left by Maggie Reilly on the studio version is ungforgettable.

Here it is a live rendition and Helen “Pepsi” DeMacque is nailing it.

BTW, it is Ian Thomas on drums
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 09:53:04 PM by ds1984 »
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2024, 09:16:32 AM »
It is a mini tribute to Mark though, Mike has stated his liking for Mark, and that Private Investigations was one of his favourites. He also owns a MK Signature Strat.

That video is from the live premier of Tubular Bells 3 in London, I was at that show, and it rained, A LOT, which was apt though, as one of the tracks from Tubular Bells 3 is called Man in The Rain, in which actually samples the drums from Moonlight Shadow.

Ian Thomas played drums for Mike at the live premier of Tubular Bells 2 at Edinburgh Castle. Ian is lucky to have played with my 3 favourite guitar players, Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2024, 10:32:01 AM »

Sure, Mark said he improvised the twiddly bits in the studio, so it's not like a composed piece or something. The only reason it works is because it is a constant string of fast notes, that you achieve by applying some quite basic moves, and is quite easy to play, to be honest, but it sounds just like something Van Halen would shred, so people go crazy.

Does anyone believe he improvised that solo in the studio?!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2024, 05:10:12 AM »

Does anyone believe he improvised that solo in the studio?!

I wouldn't be surprised. The difficult part isn't to come up with the idea, but to execute it in a good way. I mean, compare it with something like the MFN riff or the ending solos in Tunnel of love or Telegraph road. I can't see those being improvised, as there are just too many things that have to be musically connected. The "Sultans twiddly bit" thingy sounds more of a show-off exercise, and it has no purpose to the song itself. I think Mark himself has said that sometimes, the guitar is a continuation of the spoken words (something along those lines). That is the case with ToL and TR (and BIA for that matter), but the ending bits of sultans? At least I don't see (hear) it. But it's fine, I won't slam anyone for just showing off a little now and then.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2024, 11:19:49 AM »
This year sees the 50th Anniversary of Mike's 2nd album Hergest Ridge, this is a more pastoral album than his debut, Tubular Bells. After the madness of Tubular Bells Mike couldn't deal with the success and adulation he was getting, he was naturally a shy person back then, so, it was hard to suddenly be on the world stage with so many people wanting to talk to him, he also had panic attacks and so wanted to get away from it, he found the small town of Kington on the England/Wales border, he bought a house, The Beacon and set upon writing the next album, the result being Hergest Ridge, which is named after a local hill. It is another long form instrumental album, two tracks, Part 1 and Part 2 It is a great album that has lots of beautiful moments and inspired guitar playing.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 39 queries.