Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK and the Blues  (Read 3151 times)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: MK and the Blues
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2024, 01:35:24 PM »
My last favorite MK blues is Bluebird.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2024, 01:35:30 PM »
It is said that a blues should start with a sentence like "Wake up this morning..." LOL

I once had a fun text with things like that related to blues that was quite hilarious.

I think only "Millionaie blues" starts with that sentence  :think  :lol
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2024, 01:37:53 PM »

Got to Have Something - MK's not the first person to rewrite Rolling and Tumbling and won't be the last. At least it's a bit more upbeat than the last few. 3/5

I always though that "Rolling and Tumbling" came from Robert Johnson's "If I had a possesion over judgement day"

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2024, 01:40:45 PM »
It is said that a blues should start with a sentence like "Wake up this morning..." LOL

I once had a fun text with things like that related to blues that was quite hilarious.

I think only "Millionaie blues" starts with that sentence  :think  :lol

FOUND IT:

Rules for the Blues:

1. Most Blues begin, "Woke up this morning."

2. "I got a good woman," is a bad way to begin the Blues, 'less you stick something nasty in the next line, like "I got a good woman with the meanest face in town."

3. The Blues is simple. After you get the first line right, repeat it. Then find something that rhymes ... sort of: "Got a good woman - with the meanest face in town. Got teeth like Margaret Thatcher - and she weigh 500 pound."

4. The Blues are not about choice. You stuck in a ditch: You stuck in a ditch, ain't no way out.

5. Blues cars: Chevys and Cadillacs and broken down trucks. Blues don't travel in Volvos, BMWs, or Sport Utility Vehicles. Most Blues transportation is a Greyhound bus or a southbound train. Jet aircraft and state-sponsored motor pools ain't even in the running. Walkin' plays a major part in the blues lifestyle. So does fixin' to die.

6. Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, adulthood means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

7. Blues can take place in New York City, but not in Hawaii or any place in Canada. Hard times in St. Paul or Tucson is just depression. Chicago, St.Louis, and Kansas City still the best places to have the Blues. You
cannot have the blues in any place that don't get rain.

8. A man with male pattern baldness ain't the blues. A woman with male pattern baldness is. Breaking your leg cuz you skiing is not the blues.

9. Breaking your leg cuz a' alligator be chomping on it is.

10. You can't have no Blues in an office or a shopping mall. The lighting is wrong. Go outside to the parking lot or sit by the dumpster.

11. Good places for the Blues: a) highway b) jailhouse c) empty bed
Bad places:  a) Ashrams b) gallery openings c) Ivy League institutions d) golf  courses

12. No one will believe it's the Blues if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be a' old black man, and you slept in it.

13. Do you have the right to sing the Blues? Yes, if: a) you're older  than dirt b) you're blind c) you shot a man in Memphis d) you can't be satisfied.
No, if: a) you have all your teeth b) you were once blind but now can see c) the man in Memphis lived. d) you have a retirement plan or trust fund.

14. Blues is not a matter of color. It's a matter of bad luck. Tiger Woods cannot sing the blues. Gary Coleman could. Ugly white people also got a leg up on the blues.

15. If you ask for water and Baby give you gasoline, it's the Blues. Other acceptable Blues beverages are: a) bad wine b) bad whiskey or bad bourbon c) muddy water d) black coffee.
The following are NOT Blues beverages: a) mixed drinks b) kosher wine c) Snapple d) sparkling water

16. If it occurs in a cheap motel or a shotgun shack, it's a Blues death. Stabbed in the back by a jealous lover is another Blues way to die. So is the  electric chair, substance abuse, and dying lonely on a broken down cot. You can't have a Blues death if you die during a tennis match or getting liposuction.

17. Some Blues names for women: a) Sadie b) Big Mama c) Bessie d) Fat River Dumpling
Some Blues names for men: a) Joe b) Willie c) Little Willie d) Big Willie
Persons with names like Sierra, Sequoia, and Rainbow can't sing the Blues no matter how many men they shoot in Memphis.

18. Make yer own Blues name (starter kit): name of physical infirmity (Blind, Cripple, Lame, etc.)  first name (see above) plus name of fruit (Lemon, Lime, Kiwi, etc.)  last name of President (Jefferson, Johnson, Fillmore, etc.)
For example, Blind Lime Jefferson, or Cripple Kiwi Fillmore, etc.

19. I don't care how tragic your life: you own a computer, you cannot  sing the blues. You best destroy it - with fire, a spilled bottle of Mad Dog, or get out a shotgun. Maybe your big woman just done sat on it. I don't  care.

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2024, 01:45:07 PM »
Ironically, it's the same kind of music some of us get bored with after a couple of minutes of listening to it. I'm in this camp, at least with instrumental blues. I can't stand instrumental jazz either, as long as there is a story and a good singer, I'm in. Using the jazz or blues purely as a music competition... Not my thing.

You guys that get bored listeing to Blues and Instrumental Jazz are really listening to good stuff?

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2024, 02:21:55 PM »
Ironically, it's the same kind of music some of us get bored with after a couple of minutes of listening to it. I'm in this camp, at least with instrumental blues. I can't stand instrumental jazz either, as long as there is a story and a good singer, I'm in. Using the jazz or blues purely as a music competition... Not my thing.

You guys that get bored listeing to Blues and Instrumental Jazz are really listening to good stuff?

Absolutely! Just as an example, you can take arguably the best jazz guitar player to ever pick up the instrument, Joe Pass... And to a desert island 10 out of 10 times, I'd take something he did with singers merely accompanying them rather than an instrumental record showcasing his flashy, and not arguably, genius chops. I guess I'm just wired this way, and fast instrumental jazz in particular gives me headache seconds as soon as I hear it. I know many people care about chops, I'm just not one of them.

But it's not the rule. There are no rules. Miles Davis played instrumental jazz, and he's cool, although you can argue that John Coltrane went a bit over the top with chops, especially in contrast with Davids' sparse and vocal playing. This is what I'm looking for in instrumental players, somebody who uses their instrument like a human voice. Or better yet, accompany the actual voice. Or... the best part, their own voice! Big band music is also great... Again, especially with a great singer.

But what I know for a fact is that a lot of jazz musicians really do have this deep connection with their instruments, and they can actually sing all the fast lines they are playing. It's just the lines they hear in their head are fast lines, so they play fast. So it's obviously extremely personal, but luckily, we can pick what we like.

THIS is the kind of jazz I can listen to all my life:

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2024, 02:34:05 PM »
But then again you can say my taste is too old-school and too traditional, but I just can't stand all the modern fusion and electronic jazz. I mean I stumble across some interesting findings here and there, I'm not living under a rock, but my heart is definitely living somewhere between the lines of majestic arrangements like this:

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2024, 02:46:23 PM »
Absolutely!

Good.
You listen to the "right stuff".
Forget the smooth-jazz or the shredder blues players.
Jazz Singers like Ella, Sinatra, Nina... are not of this world.
Jazz players like Coltrane, Miles, Parker, Monk are PLAYERS!

Guitar, in my opinion, is the less important instrument in jazz.
Guitar music is another world in general.

Clapton said on his book: The music still the same. 5% of good stuff and 95% is garbage.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2024, 03:13:27 PM »

Got to Have Something - MK's not the first person to rewrite Rolling and Tumbling and won't be the last. At least it's a bit more upbeat than the last few. 3/5

I always though that "Rolling and Tumbling" came from Robert Johnson's "If I had a possesion over judgement day"

I recommend this book.

Basically, it doesn't matter who actually wrote something, it's who copyrights it first. :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-One-Money-Clinton-Heylin/dp/1472111907
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2024, 03:14:09 PM »

Clapton said on his book: The music still the same. 5% of good stuff and 95% is garbage.

Which part is Clapton in?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2024, 03:20:29 PM »
I'm more interested in why Mark used the Deep Blue Sea melody in Miss You Blues.
Clear as the day

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2024, 03:25:02 PM »
And why was it so important to have Miss You Blues on the album? A filler track if there ever was one.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2024, 03:29:55 PM »
I like Miss You Blues but I wonder why Mark would do something so rare. He wrote the words not to his own melody.
Clear as the day

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2024, 03:37:13 PM »
Maybe he was inspired by Bob doing so. Keep in mind that recordings for Privateering were interrupted by the Dylan Tour.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2024, 03:40:54 PM »
Maybe he was inspired by Bob doing so. Keep in mind that recordings for Privateering were interrupted by the Dylan Tour.

LE

It's possible.
Clear as the day

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 38 queries.