Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (5) Black tie jobs  (Read 3848 times)

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
Re: (5) Black tie jobs
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2024, 01:52:26 PM »
It brought me to tears too. Beautiful melody. The strength in simplicity! I didn't realise the meaning of the lyrics before reading the posts here. I googled "black tie" and thought it could be Mark trying to say some comforting words to the people he meets who has strong and sad personal stories. Imagine visiting the hospital for the TCT charity or similar things, and you are supposed to be the person who brings light and joy to people in difficult situations.
How wrong I was, once again I learn something new  :)

Yes, that's what it's about, except that those people were the family members of someone that he would have to write about.
It's an awkward situation, and the journalist has to fake or invest empathy and sympathy, in order to get information.

So in that sense, I'm not sure the song is meant to be cynical or sarcastic. If anything, it criticises a system that forces the journalists to act like that. I was actually quite surprised when I found out the back story of "Vic and Ray" and learned that MK even managed to feel a bit sorry for those two guys!
Maybe, back in 1969 or whenever, he just realised that it wasn't right somehow, or that he wasn't hardened enough to do it.

Today it's a very different situation of course, when he goes to meet patients, because he wants to do it, and his empathy is genuine and heartfelt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2024, 02:22:50 PM »
I have a friend who is a journalist and he used to call it the death knock - knocking on the door of a family who have just lost a loved one to ask for a quote and a family.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2024, 02:45:02 PM »
It brought me to tears too. Beautiful melody. The strength in simplicity! I didn't realise the meaning of the lyrics before reading the posts here. I googled "black tie" and thought it could be Mark trying to say some comforting words to the people he meets who has strong and sad personal stories. Imagine visiting the hospital for the TCT charity or similar things, and you are supposed to be the person who brings light and joy to people in difficult situations.
How wrong I was, once again I learn something new  :)

Yes, that's what it's about, except that those people were the family members of someone that he would have to write about.
It's an awkward situation, and the journalist has to fake or invest empathy and sympathy, in order to get information.

So in that sense, I'm not sure the song is meant to be cynical or sarcastic. If anything, it criticises a system that forces the journalists to act like that. I was actually quite surprised when I found out the back story of "Vic and Ray" and learned that MK even managed to feel a bit sorry for those two guys!
Maybe, back in 1969 or whenever, he just realised that it wasn't right somehow, or that he wasn't hardened enough to do it.

Today it's a very different situation of course, when he goes to meet patients, because he wants to do it, and his empathy is genuine and heartfelt.
Yes, it's lot easier you to say "please don't worry" than to certain person to don't worry.
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.03 seconds with 38 queries.