Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (8) Watch me gone  (Read 13211 times)

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
Re: (8) Watch me gone
« Reply #270 on: February 26, 2024, 02:31:29 PM »
I much prefer Greg Leisz than Paul Franklin. He seems to have his own sound and play with real feeling not a Nashville hack.

Interesting statement (although I disagree). If anybody should know the reason why he didn't use Paul Franklin this time, but Greg Leisz, I would be very interested to know.

When MK was recording with the band in London, Paul Franklin was in Nashville recording his second record with Vince Gill as a duo

Thank you, that may have been the simple reason. A problem of availablity. Maybe I'll ask Guy about it.

Offlinejabbathehut

• Camerado
« Reply #271 on: February 26, 2024, 02:56:53 PM »
Not over listening to the songs as i don't want them to stand out too much when we have the album but be part of the natural flow.
So far so good.I like these type of MK songs.For sure its not breaking any new ground which is fine with me very few artists is the latter part of their careers do.

OfflineGIUMK

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #272 on: February 26, 2024, 08:40:22 PM »
But nowadays, man... i miss Tracker.
I think one of the issues I have with Tracker is that the most energetic song (of the main album at least) was released first. It didn't turn out to be indicative of the album's overall feel. Whether or not there is anything similar to Beryl on One Deep River, at least I'm not going into a slow album expecting it to have more than one upbeat song.

Sorry, I don't want to cause any controversy and I respect your point of view, but if AOTG isn't cheerful then what do we want?  I think it's cheerful, at least for me.
It is, compared to Watch Me Gone. But it hasn't hooked me in the way that Beryl or Good On You Son did.

De gustibus non disputandum est. ;)

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #273 on: February 27, 2024, 12:19:36 PM »
I think one of the issues I have with Tracker is that the most energetic song (of the main album at least) was released first. It didn't turn out to be indicative of the album's overall feel. Whether or not there is anything similar to Beryl on One Deep River, at least I'm not going into a slow album expecting it to have more than one upbeat song.

Beryl as the main single from Tracker were fine.
The first single from any record is, generally, the 'upbeat/energetic' one.

Tracker was a shock to me because the album has a 'unfinished' vibe. That vibe feels nice on songs like Hot Dog or 38 Special.
Songs like River Towns and Skydiver (i hate this one) are my instant skippers.

Using football as reference, 8 of 10 Mark shots were goal, and the remain 2 were 'on post'
Tracker, in my opinion, has half of tracklist 'on post'
DTRW has 50% 'on post' and 30% 'out'.

After the new singles. I miss Tracker

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #274 on: February 27, 2024, 02:36:30 PM »
Not over listening to the songs as i don't want them to stand out too much when we have the album but be part of the natural flow.
So far so good.I like these type of MK songs.For sure its not breaking any new ground which is fine with me very few artists is the latter part of their careers do.

Yes, exactly, who really breaks new ground? And why would that be so important? I care much more about what artists plant on the ground they have. And whether or not it will grow on me.

**gardening metaphors off**

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #275 on: February 29, 2024, 03:26:04 PM »
I am over listening to these songs. I think they are really good.

For me, I'm more of a self professed Straits fan than an MK fan.  I've found a lot of his solo work not to my taste and missing a quality to it from earlier days, as well as often hiding behind abstract subject matter drawn from what feels like books he has read, or memories of people that have come back to him whilst having a doze or a cup of tea.

Watch me gone particularly gets right back the essence of why I liked Dire Straits in the first place.  The song is simply so honest, and true.  It's almost heartbreaking to hear MK is almost a prisoner of his songs and ability, especially in the song line "there was no choice".  Maybe it is Mark facing his mortality which drives this focus. 

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #276 on: March 02, 2024, 05:33:45 PM »

Beryl certainly made sense as a single, as it was energetic and essentially sounded like Sultans 40 years down the road. A friend of mine commented that it sounded typical of MK, and I had to inform him that Mark hadn't really sounded much like that in decades  :)

But Tracker suffers from burying Beryl so late in the game in the order of the tracks. Beryl and Basil should have swapped places, and the entire album would have felt different.

Offline461oceanblvd

• Guitar George
« Reply #277 on: March 26, 2024, 10:14:22 PM »
First thing that jumped out to me when I listened to this song is that we get quite an introduction to the great Greg Leisz. I could be wrong, but I think he's pretty heavily featured on this track.

I like the song, although it's possible I'm just happy to get new material.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #278 on: March 26, 2024, 10:40:58 PM »
"I could be wrong, but I think he's pretty heavily featured on this track"

I could be wrong, but I think he's pretty heavily featured on whole album :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #279 on: March 26, 2024, 11:00:51 PM »
Thats what he means, right?
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #280 on: April 10, 2024, 11:42:30 AM »
Still love this one, fits in perfectly.
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #281 on: April 10, 2024, 04:04:47 PM »
This is quickly becoming one of my favourite tracks of MK's solo career.
So beautiful, so simple but so emotional.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #282 on: April 20, 2024, 08:52:11 PM »
Time for me to disappear...

Mark sang this fragment beautifully, differently and movingly. I love this song.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #283 on: April 20, 2024, 10:51:16 PM »
There's a small segment in this one that reminds me of the great cover of Highway man that MK did with Jimmy Webb.

Any one else who hears it?  :)
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 38 queries.