Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (8) Watch me gone  (Read 15446 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: (8) Watch me gone
« Reply #210 on: February 23, 2024, 10:07:15 PM »
Joking right? Fizzy and the still, fish and the bird...  :think

In The Sky is a powerfull song.
Heart Full Of Holes, Fish And The Bird, Scaf Wife..
Its a Great Album.

Not only that, it's experimental. Half of the album is waltzes, and the other half is played with a pick. This album is waltzing MK reaching for Hank Marvin's sound.

OfflineWizard

• Guitar George
« Reply #211 on: February 23, 2024, 10:10:08 PM »
I much prefer Greg Leisz than Paul Franklin. He seems to have his own sound and play with real feeling not a Nashville hack. What key is he playing in? It sounds different then the usual crying steel guitar sound.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #212 on: February 23, 2024, 10:12:33 PM »
Joking right? Fizzy and the still, fish and the bird...  :think

In The Sky is a powerfull song.
Heart Full Of Holes, Fish And The Bird, Scaf Wife..
Its a Great Album.

Not only that, it's experimental. Half of the album is waltzes, and the other half is played with a pick. This album is waltzing MK reaching for Hank Marvin's sound.

And the only guitarist is Mark.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #213 on: February 23, 2024, 10:18:16 PM »

Yes. Experimental.
GF said that KTGC was the first attempt for a MK album on BG. He said that they haven't a lot of time recording. Was a tight schedulle.
After the release of Tracker, i ask GF about how would be KTGC if it was recorded today (2015)

He answer me that he and MK thinked about it.
And the possibilities that they could do now.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #214 on: February 23, 2024, 10:29:50 PM »

Yes. Experimental.
GF said that KTGC was the first attempt for a MK album on BG. He said that they haven't a lot of time recording. Was a tight schedulle.
After the release of Tracker, i ask GF about how would be KTGC if it was recorded today (2015)

He answer me that he and MK thinked about it.
And the possibilities that they could do now.

Man, I'd kill to get Mark recorded in any other studio. So many great studios in the world. I'd kill to get Mark revisiting one studio in Malibu he recorded in exactly 20 years ago. I'd kill to get Mark playing with other musicians, so many great musicians in the world. Using other producers. But no, BG+96ers+MK is the formula where any experimentation ends. I wonder if he is seeing these limitations in this seemingly unlimited space, and did he ever think that having this "toy" of a studio is a total overkill for a musician? It's like a movie director would own a film studio.

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #215 on: February 23, 2024, 10:39:51 PM »
However, exists a MK as a professional musician/producer.
A guy who knows everything about music business.

So he divided his job with GF to keep his stuff going. With is absolutely correct. "Divide to Conquer" - This is the phrase.
I saw a Robbie McIntosh interview that he says that he was helping MK on the LH Musical. With is, again, correct.

He can easily can deliver his scratches to an great arranger or a team or arrangers who can deliver a number of arrangements variations for the new songs and MK will only decide if it was good or no and suggest some new things. Team work.

Seems to me that he only deliver his stuff to GF.

The musicians are almost the same since 1996. So, they KNOW the way that the boss likes his stuff.

What i am complaing is not about the MK abilitys to play guitar. But the lazyness of the song arrangements and the generically delivering from the musicians.

I tried

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #216 on: February 23, 2024, 11:35:55 PM »
I find it interesting how we all see these things so differently.

As some may know I teach music and run a small studio. Part of my job is to deconstruct/reconstruct music for students to discus/analyse and create their own recordings. I deal daily with everything from Rick Astley to Slipknott and everything in between. My point really in all of this is that I try to find the good in what's in front of me regardless of personal taste. That's why some of the critiques on here seem to me to be a bit lazy. It's perfectly possible to find the good in art while still saying 'this is not to my taste'....

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #217 on: February 23, 2024, 11:52:31 PM »

As some may know I teach music and run a small studio. Part of my job is to deconstruct/reconstruct music for students to discus/analyse and create their own recordings. I deal daily with everything from Rick Astley to Slipknott and everything in between. My point really in all of this is that I try to find the good in what's in front of me regardless of personal taste. That's why some of the critiques on here seem to me to be a bit lazy. It's perfectly possible to find the good in art while still saying 'this is not to my taste'....

Very interesting job on teach music/producing you have.
I like to be on a recording studio. Now i am living in Lisbon. Cause of this, i record stuff from home.

I like a large variety of musical styles.
I don't think that my critics are about musical genres/styles. My critics are all about viscerality.
The song needs to mean something.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #218 on: February 24, 2024, 12:40:30 AM »

I like to be on a recording studio. Now i am living in Lisbon. Cause of this, i record stuff from home.

I don't think that my critics are about musical genres/styles. My critics are all about viscerality.

And you honestly don't think this means anything?

Come on that's the harshest of criticism. Better to say it doesn't mean anything to you. Doesn't mean it lacks intrinsic artistic value....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #219 on: February 24, 2024, 12:44:16 AM »
I much prefer Greg Leisz than Paul Franklin. He seems to have his own sound and play with real feeling not a Nashville hack. What key is he playing in? It sounds different then the usual crying steel guitar sound.

Calling Paul Franklin a Nashville hack is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read, anywhere.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #220 on: February 24, 2024, 12:51:59 AM »

Calling Paul Franklin a Nashville hack is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read, anywhere.

Yep absolute genius. Took pedal steel to corners of the musical world it had no right to go. Up there with Bela Fleck and Tommy E as one of the best.

Dusty, have you ever played one? You really get an appreciation of how great someone like PF is by sitting behind one. It's complexity as an instrument is overlooked....

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #221 on: February 24, 2024, 01:03:03 AM »

Can't agree with you 2manyguitars. I dabble at teaching music myself, mostly Mark's music in fact, and settled on the course to learn all his songs in depth. So I am almost "obligated" to "like" them all, even masterpieces like "Hot Dog" or "Follow The Ribbon". But I truly love all his stuff. It's the soundtrack to more than half of my life. I wait for all new releases, and I feel at home with his music, no matter how many other artists I listen to, and like you and Rolo, I listen to a lot.

Most people here are truly die-hard fans, some of them follow Mark right from the beginning, so for his entire career. I was fortunate to witness his career in real-time from 2005. My criticism is based on my experience of listening to his music for 19 years and music released in the past. All the guys who seem to be grumpy all the time here, are all usually writing good stuff, not lazy stuff at all. Lazy criticism is something like a 2-word review from Spinal Tap.

LE is unbelievable in his understanding of MK's lyrics for example, and I read his words carefully. Other complaints are also understandable. All of my MK-fan friends I regularly speak to who are not present on this forum agree two latest songs by Mark aren't his best, to say the least, and we are not terribly impressed. Will we love Mark's music less? Hell, naw!

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #222 on: February 24, 2024, 01:11:25 AM »

Can't agree with you 2manyguitars. I dabble at teaching music myself, mostly Mark's music in fact, and settled on the course to learn all his songs in depth. So I am almost "obligated" to "like" them all, even masterpieces like "Hot Dog" or "Follow The Ribbon". But I truly love all his stuff. It's the soundtrack to more than half of my life. I wait for all new releases, and I feel at home with his music, no matter how many other artists I listen to, and like you and Rolo, I listen to a lot.

Most people here are truly die-hard fans, some of them follow Mark right from the beginning, so for his entire career. I was fortunate to witness his career in real-time from 2005. My criticism is based on my experience of listening to his music for 19 years and music released in the past. All the guys who seem to be grumpy all the time here, are all usually writing good stuff, not lazy stuff at all. Lazy criticism is something like a 2-word review from Spinal Tap.

LE is unbelievable in his understanding of MK's lyrics for example, and I read his words carefully. Other complaints are also understandable. All of my MK-fan friends I regularly speak to who are not present on this forum agree two latest songs by Mark aren't his best, to say the least, and we are not terribly impressed. Will we love Mark's music less? Hell, naw!

No one is obliged to like anything but you can dislike something and still have respect for the artistic process.There's complaints, constructive criticism, and then there's something beyond that which is what I object to. Maybe it's a language issue or maybe its just me! I'm not a big fan of any of the songs you mentioned either. Just in this case I can't see why anyone wouldn't see something of worth in this song. It's a very private man opening up about a difficult time in his life. That alone grants it some merit.

I actually wonder if this album is going to have a confessional tone to it, Mark's equivalent of a trip to alcoholics anonymous!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 01:21:58 AM by 2manyguitars »

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #223 on: February 24, 2024, 01:13:45 AM »
If I had to erase one of Mark’s albums from existence that would most certainly be KTGC 😅
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #224 on: February 24, 2024, 01:29:49 AM »

Yep absolute genius. Took pedal steel to corners of the musical world it had no right to go. Up there with Bela Fleck and Tommy E as one of the best.

Dusty, have you ever played one? You really get an appreciation of how great someone like PF is by sitting behind one. It's complexity as an instrument is overlooked....

Yes, I own a basic 3 pedal one. I can get by well enough on some basics to play it live. They sound so cool that even a few basic bends will impress people!

But PF is on another planet.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 35 queries.