Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (11) This one’s not going to end well  (Read 3658 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: (11) This one’s not going to end well
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2024, 09:50:20 AM »
This one’s not going to end well
But after he’s gone
The traders will trade
Flyers will fly
Seafarers will ride on the swell

Brexit?

My Bacon Roll 2.0?

And I wonder what leaving Dire Straits would be called... Dire Strexit?

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2024, 11:14:43 AM »
My Bacon Roll wasn't about Brexit per se, but the character was described by MK as "Brexit man" and I knew exactly who he meant as soon as he said it. There are lots of them in the UK. They are pejoratively known as "gammons", basically old white men who don't like that things are changing and that lots of people don't want the country to be run by old white men anymore.

Here's a prime recent example:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/lee-anderson-defect-reform-uk-tories-sunak-b1144526.html
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2024, 11:31:45 AM »
Maybe about the pandemic?

After he's gone... The virus?

The life after the pandemic with all the damage and changes in our lives and way of living?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2024, 11:55:50 AM »
Maybe about the pandemic?

After he's gone... The virus?

The life after the pandemic with all the damage and changes in our lives and way of living?

Could be!

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2024, 11:59:02 AM »
My Bacon Roll wasn't about Brexit per se, but the character was described by MK as "Brexit man" and I knew exactly who he meant as soon as he said it. There are lots of them in the UK. They are pejoratively known as "gammons", basically old white men who don't like that things are changing and that lots of people don't want the country to be run by old white men anymore.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/lee-anderson-defect-reform-uk-tories-sunak-b1144526.html

Thanks for this explanation which is important. In Germany we have exactly the same term "alter weißer mann" which is used against every male who dares to have the slightest observations about anything that's woke etc. It is interesting that as usual MK offers both ways of understanding about that character, one can sympathize in a way with him. Maye MK detected a small Portion old white man within himself?

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2024, 12:29:31 PM »

Thanks for this explanation which is important. In Germany we have exactly the same term "alter weißer mann" which is used against every male who dares to have the slightest observations about anything that's woke etc. It is interesting that as usual MK offers both ways of understanding about that character, one can sympathize in a way with him. Maye MK detected a small Portion old white man within himself?

LE

Mmm, I don't detect much sympathy for the character in the song.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2024, 01:30:24 PM »

LE

You don't? The part where he's talking about team-building activities is hilarious. And I agree with LE, part of the appeal of Mark's "character" songs lies in the fact that he has both empathy and disgust for them.

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2024, 03:49:38 PM »

LE

You don't? The part where he's talking about team-building activities is hilarious. And I agree with LE, part of the appeal of Mark's "character" songs lies in the fact that he has both empathy and disgust for them.
Totally right, he even said recently he wouldn’t write MFN today as it was punching down at someone. It’s generally not accepted anymore. Even edgy comedians don’t do it now. I think MK is obviously a progressive thinker with alot of money and he doesn’t take the piss out of the lower classes who have different life experiences. I would say it is more of an observation without opinion.

Onlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2024, 05:10:46 PM »

I find your comment absolutely ridiculous. I'm not sure why the colour of the skin is even relevant. I don't detect anything in the song that even refers to white people. Old black or asian people don't also struggle with things changing around them?

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2024, 05:21:34 PM »
Ok so my idea is rejected and the Bacon roll second part wins.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2024, 05:45:34 PM »
Ok so my idea is rejected and the Bacon roll second part wins.

I think you're idea could be right. Let's wait and see  ;)
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2024, 05:58:52 PM »

I find your comment absolutely ridiculous. I'm not sure why the colour of the skin is even relevant. I don't detect anything in the song that even refers to white people. Old black or asian people don't also struggle with things changing around them?

It’s relevant because IN MY OPINION and also perhaps my importantly, in my experience, this is what “Brexit man” usually looks like, and MK says the song is about Brexit man. I don’t see myself like that, but clearly I’m in a minority in the UK, as those who wanted Brexit made up the majority here.

Onlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2024, 08:24:36 PM »

It’s relevant because IN MY OPINION and also perhaps my importantly, in my experience, this is what “Brexit man” usually looks like, and MK says the song is about Brexit man. I don’t see myself like that, but clearly I’m in a minority in the UK, as those who wanted Brexit made up the majority here.
I was deployed in the UK from 2014 to 2018 and, in my experience, the majority of the people I interacted with that wanted Brexit were British Indians and to a lesser extent Pakistanis, some of them had moved to UK back in the 70's. On the other hand, most of the white British people I talked to were in favour of remaining in the EU.
This is why I find the idea of the Brexit man as "white old man" as ridiculous and, in a way, quite discriminatory.

But I should also say, as a P.S., that I understand where you're coming from as this discourse against natives and "white old people" was becoming quite common among some factions of the political spectrum in the UK, at least when I was there, and being used for ideological reasons. So I understand very well what you mean. And since I haven't set foot in the UK since 2018, I can deduce it's still around.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 08:35:21 PM by rmarques821 »

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2024, 10:00:21 PM »
This one’s not going to end well
But after he’s gone
The traders will trade
Flyers will fly
Seafarers will ride on the swell

Brexit?

Maybe the general situation in the world. But I don't understand this sentence: But after he’s gone
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2024, 12:22:27 AM »

I was deployed in the UK from 2014 to 2018 and, in my experience, the majority of the people I interacted with that wanted Brexit were British Indians and to a lesser extent Pakistanis, some of them had moved to UK back in the 70's. On the other hand, most of the white British people I talked to were in favour of remaining in the EU.
This is why I find the idea of the Brexit man as "white old man" as ridiculous and, in a way, quite discriminatory.

But I should also say, as a P.S., that I understand where you're coming from as this discourse against natives and "white old people" was becoming quite common among some factions of the political spectrum in the UK, at least when I was there, and being used for ideological reasons. So I understand very well what you mean. And since I haven't set foot in the UK since 2018, I can deduce it's still around.

Ok, so your experience is the complete opposite of mine. That’s fine. I’m not going to start calling your posts ridiculous. But the idea that old white men are being discriminated against is amusing, and I say that as one myself. :)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 38 queries.