Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Alan Clark - new interview  (Read 12264 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Alan Clark - new interview
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2024, 11:37:31 AM »
I understand that Alan and Guy were both creative forces in musical terms in the studio helping arrange the songs written by MK, and the three of them (I'm not sure about the input from John Illsley in musical terms) were resposible of the DS sound, I totally understand Alan saying he thought it was a wrong direction to go sounding Nashville for DS as that was never the DS sound not even in the early days that despite sounding American, they were not country, but in the end Alan words also means despite he didn't like the country flavour, they went that way because althought he had an important say musically, MK was the boss.

I don't see anything wrong telling he didn't like that, it's just his opinion, and many fans thinks the same. Actually many say OES is almost like the first MK solo record as it has a big variety of styles for the first time in DS.

I find it hilarious that one can criticise DS for going in the wrong direction when the band evolved so much in the short amount of time it had, always getting bigger and bigger, it makes you think what exactly is the "right" direction? It went from a basic 4-piece to an orchestra in 10 years.

They should've kept the formula, added even more musicians or what? If you keep the formula, then the OES tour would sound exactly like the previous tour, and it would make the OES tour even more redundant. So overall, not a lot of choices there, to be honest.

Mark's songs grew in complexity and required more and more musicians, a lot of them came from Nashville, which was the direction MK was going to. Remember, by this time he recorded The Notting Hillbillies record and Chet Atkins collaboration, both of which are filled with country and Nashville sound. No, they are country records!

And here comes Alan, surprised (WOW) that DS went into the country territory. Who could think that would happen, OMG. What a plot twist!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2024, 12:20:06 PM »
I understand that Alan and Guy were both creative forces in musical terms in the studio helping arrange the songs written by MK, and the three of them (I'm not sure about the input from John Illsley in musical terms) were resposible of the DS sound, I totally understand Alan saying he thought it was a wrong direction to go sounding Nashville for DS as that was never the DS sound not even in the early days that despite sounding American, they were not country, but in the end Alan words also means despite he didn't like the country flavour, they went that way because althought he had an important say musically, MK was the boss.

I don't see anything wrong telling he didn't like that, it's just his opinion, and many fans thinks the same. Actually many say OES is almost like the first MK solo record as it has a big variety of styles for the first time in DS.

I find it hilarious that one can criticise DS for going in the wrong direction when the band evolved so much in the short amount of time it had, always getting bigger and bigger, it makes you think what exactly is the "right" direction? It went from a basic 4-piece to an orchestra in 10 years.

They should've kept the formula, added even more musicians or what? If you keep the formula, then the OES tour would sound exactly like the previous tour, and it would make the OES tour even more redundant. So overall, not a lot of choices there, to be honest.

Mark's songs grew in complexity and required more and more musicians, a lot of them came from Nashville, which was the direction MK was going to. Remember, by this time he recorded The Notting Hillbillies record and Chet Atkins collaboration, both of which are filled with country and Nashville sound. No, they are country records!

And here comes Alan, surprised (WOW) that DS went into the country territory. Who could think that would happen, OMG. What a plot twist!

Not me.

For me that one of the best rock bands of the time went country flavoured was indeed weird.

That MK did that in his solo career, logical.

Alan is not surprised, actually he says MK was was fascinated to the maximum by the sounds of Nashville, no, Alan doesn't says he came surprised, only that from what DS was and was doing he thought that wasn't the right direction.

I'm amazed how too many times people twist the words that anyone that is not MK says to defend MK as he needed to be defended...

Also saying that he thought it wasn't the right way for the band is not critize, it's give an opinion. Again it's amazing how some people interpretate anything as a critic or an attack.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 12:23:28 PM by jbaent »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2024, 12:38:15 PM »

Not me.

For me that one of the best rock bands of the time went country flavoured was indeed weird.

Alan is not surprised, actually he says MK was was fascinated to the maximum by the sounds of Nashville, no, Alan doesn't says he came surprised, only that from what DS was and was doing he thought that wasn't the right direction.

I'm amazed how too many times people twist the words that anyone that is not MK says to defend MK as he needed to be defended...

Also saying that he thought it wasn't the right way for the band is not critize, it's give an opinion. Again it's amazing how some people interpretate anything as a critic or an attack.

It doesn't change the fact Alan is playing in a freaking tribute band. Anything you can say gets destroyed when this fact comes into the picture. Whether you fan of Mark or not, I think going to the tribute route is a mistake. And for tribute bands, going the route of hiring "original band members" is a mistake. All criticism of Alan goes from this, should he not be doing what he's doing, he'd be cherished and adored like any other adequate ex-DS member. Alan, on the other hand, seems like wanted to have his own Dire Straits. Now he has it! With a catch...

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2024, 12:42:50 PM »

Not me.

It doesn't change the fact Alan is playing in a freaking tribute band. Anything you can say gets destroyed when this fact comes into the picture. Whether you fan of Mark or not, I think going to the tribute route is a mistake. And for tribute bands, going the route of hiring "original band members" is a mistake. All criticism of Alan goes from this, should he not be doing what he's doing, he'd be cherished and adored like any other adequate ex-DS member. Alan, on the other hand, seems like wanted to have his own Dire Straits. Now he has it! With a catch...

He's a proffesional musicians that get paid for playing, any session or live gig is a session or live gig.

And he's not doing anything different to Danny Cummings, who plays in the same band that Alan.

And apparently MK greeted Alan on his piano solo record.

But each to its own.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2024, 12:54:14 PM »
Country was there from the very start. Setting Me Up is a country song. Not sure why anyone would be surprised to hear country-ish stuff from DS after that.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2024, 12:55:21 PM »
He's a proffesional musicians that get paid for playing, any session or live gig is a session or live gig.

And he's not doing anything different to Danny Cummings, who plays in the same band that Alan.

But each to its own.

Danny is a unique specimen, I think he's just so diplomatic he can hang out and play with anybody. He never said anything controversial, he never was a founder or a musical director of tribute acts, and he is a session musician enjoying playing good songs. John Illsley played with tribute acts, and almost all of them did. Tribute acts are not a problem, attitude is. AC said so many obnoxious and controversial things over the years, and was so sure MK is just a little part of DS, that this legacy (excuse the term) continues to this day. Even when DSL released their album, they called it "3 Chord Trick" apparently as a diss on Mark's ability to write simple similar songs. If this is not effed-up, then I don't know what is.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2024, 12:58:29 PM »

But each to its own.

Danny is a unique specimen, I think he's just so diplomatic he can hang out and play with anybody. He never said anything controversial, he never was a founder or a musical director of tribute acts, and he is a session musician enjoying playing good songs. John Illsley played with tribute acts, and almost all of them did. Tribute acts are not a problem, attitude is. AC said so many obnoxious and controversial things over the years, and was so sure MK is just a little part of DS, that this legacy (excuse the term) continues to this day. Even when DSL released their album, they called it "3 Chord Trick" apparently as a diss on Mark's ability to write simple similar songs. If this is not effed-up, then I don't know what is.

Funily, 3 chord trick is an autobiographical song of Phil Palmer.

It's also amazing how some people are so ready to interpretate anything some people like David, Pick, Alan or Phil says as controversial, and it doesn't matter any explanation, nothing would change the prejudice against anything they do or say. I'm sure that if any of them sneeze, that would be a controversial one against MK in any way.

It's really boring.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2024, 01:01:31 PM »
Country was there from the very start. Setting Me Up is a country song. Not sure why anyone would be surprised to hear country-ish stuff from DS after that.

Well, I'm not an expert but the early Straits sounds to me more influenced by J.J.Cale style of music than country or Nashville, and since that DS had been moving forward in a more rock oriented version, kind of progressive with LOG and lonf of AOR with BIA, but going country... I thought that it was just a side apart of MK for his other projects like the Chet record, the NHB record and tour and his session works in Nashville, didn't think he would add anything of that into DS.

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2024, 01:08:46 PM »
Alan is bigger in his own mind than real life. He talks earnestly about working with big artists but none of those doors would have opened without mk. There's a hint of this in everything he says publicly about DS....

Alan joined DS because he is an amazing player.
His contribution on MK's music was huge.
His inputs thru the songs are amazing.
I think that, on Dire Straits, his inputs are on level of brilhantism Mark's guitars.
Even GF said that the recording of Local Hero soundtrack (the best from MK) was based on Mark/Alan extensive experimentation.
Not MK, not Alan, but both.

Everyone needs a first platform. DS was/is the first step for him to play with Eric, Dylan, Harrison, Bee Gees, Tina...
OK, most of them happened because MK.
Don't forget. MK is an artist/composer, Alan is a keyboard player.
Mark is a genius, Alan brought his insane musicallity to MK's music sounded better as they can. So, his work with Mark opened doors for him to work with other people.

I believe that he was tired to be on A Game and gave to himself a calm life.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2024, 01:14:09 PM »

But each to its own.

Funily, 3 chord trick is an autobiographical song of Phil Palmer.

It's also amazing how some people are so ready to interpretate anything some people like David, Pick, Alan or Phil says as controversial, and it doesn't matter any explanation, nothing would change the prejudice against anything they do or say. I'm sure that if any of them sneeze, that would be a controversial one against MK in any way.

It's really boring.

I'm afraid it's you being too diplomatic and kind to all these guys. It's not interpretation, it's literally one of the reasons they called it the "3 Chord Trick", I remember learning this in one of their interviews. I'm not making stuff up, remember? Just like you can't wrongly interpret Mark's "Terminal Of Tribute To", it's not exactly a love song.

You're right that anything these guys, who were caught saying or doing obnoxious things, are going to be scrutinized. At least David still writes his own songs and enjoys his own success, and not playing in his bro's tribute band. I have absolutely no problems with David, but I do with Alan, Phil and Chris White. Pick is verging on the border of falling into despair and sometimes says strange things we discussed in other threads and plays in tributes more.

Not everybody is a saint like Hal Lindes or Danny Cummings, these guys nobody ever criticised. And there are reasons why.

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2024, 01:15:56 PM »
I saw a run of Dire Straits Experience shows in France at the end of 2023. As far as 'keeping the DS sound alive' I'd say they are putting on an arena show infront of 3,000 to 3,500 audiences, with a full lighting rig and PA system. The show has a lot of energy and they play a large body of DS work with no solo material and no Yes or Buggles songs.

My dear friend Brunno Nunes saw one or two DSL concerts and he liked very much.
Full of energy, a Rock Concert.

And he lent his LOG t-shirt to Alan.
Very nice from Alan

OnlineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2024, 01:19:38 PM »

Well, I'm not an expert but the early Straits sounds to me more influenced by J.J.Cale style of music than country or Nashville, and since that DS had been moving forward in a more rock oriented version, kind of progressive with LOG and lonf of AOR with BIA, but going country... I thought that it was just a side apart of MK for his other projects like the Chet record, the NHB record and tour and his session works in Nashville, didn't think he would add anything of that into DS.

I agree with Dusty. Setting me up sounds clearly country. It's not a coincidence if it was covered by Albert Lee

I hear country influences in Communiqué, Portobello Bell, That's the way it always start, Walk of life...

I planned to write an article about Mark and country style

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2024, 01:23:08 PM »

I agree with Dusty. Setting me up sounds clearly country. It's not a coincidence if it was covered by Albert Lee

I hear country influences in Communiqué, Portobello Bell, That's the way it always start, Walk of life...

I planned to write an article about Mark and country style

Not just Albert Lee, Waylon Jennings as well.

Of course DS was "influenced" by DS (MK basically stole his act), but I don't think I've heard anything as country as Setting Me Up by JJ Cale. Just listen to the guitar. Pure country.

And I never bought the story that Three Chord Trick wasn't about MK...

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2024, 01:27:50 PM »

And I never bought the story that Three Chord Trick wasn't about MK...

Actually Phil talks about that 3 chord trick very very often in his book and that was way before the record, always pointing to himself.

But anyone is free to interpretate whatever wants about whatever.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2024, 02:37:02 PM »
The book was 2021 wasn't it? And the song was released 2017.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 38 queries.