Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Notting Hillbillies LP  (Read 624 times)

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Notting Hillbillies LP
« on: March 03, 2024, 08:44:54 PM »
I am spinning Missing.... Presumed Having A Good Time right now and I am deeply satisfied about how great this pressing and the whole recording sounds. I know about the small Mews House recording studio with its flaws and all, but to me, this sounds definitely MUCH better than f.e. Down The Road Whatever. (Checked some reviews on Discog and it seems I am not alone with this. Highly praised are recording, sound stage and pressing.) Together with the just uplifting good mood music and the fine spirit of the whole thing it is easily one of the nicest records I have and also one of the best ones of MK's career.

I bought this vinyl on (a rainy) release day in 1990 in the then still existing small record shop in my home town, they had exactly one copy in stock. No pre order or anything, just trying and got lucky. It was one of the last vinyls I originally bought for a long time before I changed to CD completely. The record was with me all those years but never been played between 1993 and let's say 2017. I cleaned it and it still sounds exceptionally good apart from one minor cracking on One Way Gal. Love this copy, the sleeve picture and everything and above all that clear, crisp and open sound. Great bass, perfect mix, phantastic vocal recording. It was not all bad before British Grove Studios...

LE

I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
Re: Notting Hillbillies LP
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 01:25:36 AM »
I am spinning Missing.... Presumed Having A Good Time right now and I am deeply satisfied about how great this pressing and the whole recording sounds. I know about the small Mews House recording studio with its flaws and all, but to me, this sounds definitely MUCH better than f.e. Down The Road Whatever. (Checked some reviews on Discog and it seems I am not alone with this. Highly praised are recording, sound stage and pressing.) Together with the just uplifting good mood music and the fine spirit of the whole thing it is easily one of the nicest records I have and also one of the best ones of MK's career.

I bought this vinyl on (a rainy) release day in 1990 in the then still existing small record shop in my home town, they had exactly one copy in stock. No pre order or anything, just trying and got lucky. It was one of the last vinyls I originally bought for a long time before I changed to CD completely. The record was with me all those years but never been played between 1993 and let's say 2017. I cleaned it and it still sounds exceptionally good apart from one minor cracking on One Way Gal. Love this copy, the sleeve picture and everything and above all that clear, crisp and open sound. Great bass, perfect mix, phantastic vocal recording. It was not all bad before British Grove Studios...

LE
Nice! And yes, a great record! Who played the bass?

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 06:34:32 AM »
Marcus Cliffe on bass.

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 07:16:17 AM »
Marcus Cliffe on bass.

LE

Not in the record.

The bass and drums in the record were programmed by Guy, or player in the Synclavier, or both!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2024, 07:22:20 AM »
I knew you were posting within 20 min.

Cliffe is credited on the album. Can't check right now but am pretty sure.

LE

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 07:41:30 AM »
Marcus Cliffe on bass.

LE

Not in the record.

The bass and drums in the record were programmed by Guy, or player in the Synclavier, or both!
Yepp ;)

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 08:44:22 AM »

LE

I never seen any reference to any bass or drum player in that record, as far as I remember.

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 10:07:18 AM »

LE

I never seen any reference to any bass or drum player in that record, as far as I remember.

True, sorry my fault. Must have mixed it up with the Wikipedia entry about the band.

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 10:18:44 AM »

LE

True, sorry my fault. Must have mixed it up with the Wikipedia entry about the band.

LE

I always thought that it was weird that the bass and drums were programmed by Guy instead of using any musicians, specially as MK worked before with Brendan Croker playing in "No money at all", it could had been logical to call the bass (Marcus) and the drummer from Brendan's band. Probably the project had a very low budget but the 5 O'clock shadows would had cost much, lol

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 10:30:09 AM »
It was the time when Guy had made complete Orchestra soundscapes on Last Exit To Brooklyn and The Princess Bride. The analogue/vintage era seemed to start not before 1996 when MK obviously had changed his mind about the whole real playing and vintage thing. But indeed it seemed to be very low-key and maybe that's the main reason. Although synclavier bass, it sounds very good to my ears.

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2024, 10:53:03 AM »
It was the time when Guy had made complete Orchestra soundscapes on Last Exit To Brooklyn and The Princess Bride. The analogue/vintage era seemed to start not before 1996 when MK obviously had changed his mind about the whole real playing and vintage thing. But indeed it seemed to be very low-key and maybe that's the main reason. Although synclavier bass, it sounds very good to my ears.

LE

I play drums in a very amateur way, but as you would know, I'm very fan of drums and drummers, and some of the drums arrangement in that record sound so real and well made that before internet times where you can find info about everything, I thought it was a real drummer!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 11:08:02 AM »

LE

I play drums in a very amateur way, but as you would know, I'm very fan of drums and drummers, and some of the drums arrangement in that record sound so real and well made that before internet times where you can find info about everything, I thought it was a real drummer!

Technically, it WAS a real drummer - Ed played the samples that Guy loaded into the synclavier. So they are real drum sounds, just not played live.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2024, 12:01:30 PM »

LE

Technically, it WAS a real drummer - Ed played the samples that Guy loaded into the synclavier. So they are real drum sounds, just not played live.

I'm not sure Ed played the samples, as far as I recall they asked Ed to join them at drums for the tour, I always thought that they used the Linn drum machine for that, which is the same one they used for Going Home.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2024, 12:02:45 PM »
I recall someone saying that Ed played the samples but can't quote you a reference off the top of my head I'm afraid. :)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2024, 12:11:19 PM »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 38 queries.