Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Times - How Mark Knopfler assembled the greatest supergroup in music history  (Read 481 times)

Offlineprivinvest

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/how-mark-knopfler-assembled-the-greatest-supergroup-in-music-history-mp7px723t

Also here
https://archive.is/lMIrR

"Mark Knopfler jokes that when the word got out to his superstar mates about the new version of his Going Home anthem, he could have set up a soup kitchen outside his studio for the A-listers queueing up to play on it."

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Thank you!

I'll probably go and buy the paper to have it.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
The article should be titled "How Mark Knopfler assembled the greatest supergroup in music history and used it in the dumbest way" though.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
Are you ever positive? even for a few minutes? :think
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

He couldn't be more right though.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing

Quizzy oscilates wildly between over the top positive about MK to offensively negative and I think it's it's great. :)

You never know what you're going to get whether or not you agree with it, it's never boring! 

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov

Quizzy oscilates wildly between over the top positive about MK to offensively negative and I think it's it's great. :)

You never know what you're going to get whether or not you agree with it, it's never boring!

Haha! How do you determine my positivity from my posts anyway? Should I be positive because it's Mark's release? Should I not say what I feel? That's all legitimate questions. Thank you Dusty and dmg for defending my yes, often widely opposed opinions on Mark's stuff. Life is a sine wave anyhow, so it's okay.

Sorry, I'm just in shock at how universally praised and poured with acclaim this thing is. Nobody questions it because of the cause, which is so cheap.

Mark answered the question what's something good about fame? If you're famous you can do anything, and your idea will be executed no matter what, nobody will ask questions, and in the end, everybody will be happy and throw their money at you. Let's give Mark Oscar, Tony, Emmy and Grammy awards for this. Boy, it's the best track I ever heard in my entire life.

If Mark is so powerful, why not just record a video asking people to send money directly? Is THIS the only way to raise money anyway? Ahhhhhhhhh...

“When David Gilmour came in, he played loads of stuff, but there were certain licks that were just absolutely Gilmour,” Fletcher says.

Apparently, everything David Gilmour played that didn't make the cut, doesn't sound like Gilmour.

Hank Marvin: “There’s so many great players on this, I thought, ‘Is this going to be an LP of one track?’”

No, Hank, you're asking too many questions, just join the standing ovation, it's obligatory.

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
Sorry, I'm just in shock at how universally praised and poured with acclaim this thing is. Nobody questions it because of the cause, which is so cheap.

At this point, I'm just happy with everything that comes out of British Groove. The man has been writing, recording, and touring for 40+ years. At his age and with such a phenomenal career, is there anything more I can ask as a fan? I was skeptical of this project in advance but still wanted to listen a second time after hearing it this morning.

And why should it not be universally praised? Its goal is to raise money, and it is doing well. If it takes 60 guitarists filling up Going Home for 10 minutes, so be it. This is not meant to be an artistic masterpiece. You have a lot of criticism, but how would you do it?

Overall, I'm glad he's still around and doing things, something I doubted after the 2019 tour.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
It was great to see all those positive and nice readers' comments below the Times article. People really seem to like the song and the idea, of course! And the hardcopies have already sold out, what else can you ask of a charity project?
Someone pointed out the combined age of all the players, that made me dizzy!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
And the hardcopies have already sold out, what else can you ask of a charity project?

That they make enough copies to meet demand?!  ;)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
And the hardcopies have already sold out, what else can you ask of a charity project?

That they make enough copies to meet demand?!  ;)

How rude :lol

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov

You have a lot of criticism, but how would you do it?

By the way, I proposed my idea of other ways of how to do it. From the top of my head, instead of releasing 60 versions of GH, which is obviously stupid, how about releasing, say, 1 recording a month, with "house band" backing and Mark's guitar PLUS a star guest? They each played the full track anyway. No need to create 50 versions of the final edit, when you can have a single proper performance instead. AND sell this 67-players monstrosity at the same time.

Then, for each performance, make a video and upload it on a separate YouTube channel called Mark Knopfler's Guitar Heroes, where you can also upload interviews, behind-the-scenes content, etc., and on each video make sure to promote the charity as hard as possible. I am SURE it would generate millions of views and millions of dollars for charity. And what a fun way to really compare the style of players with proper recording of tracks instead of random licks all over the place.

That's enough of 5 (FIVE) years of continuous charity effort with tons of exposure, tons of great content, and a project ANY guitar player can contribute at any time. And if the demand is too crazy, it could be 1 track every 2 weeks. Anyway, that's just 1 way of how to do it better than throwing all eggs in one basket, coming from nobody. They have access to a whole army of veteran musicians and producers, I'm positive they could do a better job or simply didn't want to.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 03:47:00 PM by quizzaciously »

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
Food for thought indeed!
Actually that sounds like a really good plan, and they would actually have the standing/fame and the means to set up a long-term project like that.
And Guy seems to a perfect PR manager, too: he's even found the time to comment on readers' comments on the Times website!  :thumbsup

« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 02:37:01 PM by stratmad »
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 38 queries.