Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Album Reviews  (Read 9907 times)

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
Album Reviews
« on: March 19, 2024, 08:34:38 AM »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 04:04:17 PM by Dutchessy »

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 04:03:56 PM by Dutchessy »
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: Album Reviews
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 03:55:26 PM »
By Nick14 from UNCUT:

MARK KNOPFLER
One Deep River
BRITISH GROVE
8/10
Heartfelt songs from the
Northumberland veteran
During “Watch Me
Gone”, a highlight
from his atmospheric
new album, Mark
Knopfler indulges in
a couple of rock’n’roll
fantasies: “Maybe I’ll hit the road with
Bob/Or maybe I’ll hitch a ride with Van”,
he sings in his signature pre-coffee
grumble, as warm and weathered as
ever. While the veteran songwriter and
guitarist has indeed shared stages with
both legends, his tentative, bittersweet
tone signals the inspiration for this
diverse batch of songs, dreamed up
during Covid lockdown. Characterised
by a laid-back, full-band sound, this
heartfelt music exudes the warm thrill
of catching up and looking back among
old friends. SAM SODOMSKY
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 04:32:35 PM »
Thanks!

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 11:52:36 AM »
German Classic Rock Magazine has a long Interview in its April issue. There is also a review, 8 from 10

Not able to translate at the moment. But

-the guitar on Tunnel 13 reminds the author of Brothers in Arms but with more western vibe

-Janine beautiful melodic Country Rock

-Title track is called country Spiritual.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2024, 11:59:18 AM »
Interview touches a lot of political themes
The author quotes a line from This Ones Not Going To End Well : " they whip up old lies to ride into power, and history comes back from hell." and relates it to Trump, fashism, fake news.

And a line from the Tunnel 13 lyrics:
Tunnel 13 is the place in the song, where the beautiful redwood for my guitar came from." Not sure if this is really from the lyrics. The author says it comes from the "lyrics" but somehow it sounds strange to me and might be from the liner notes.

LE
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 12:08:42 PM by Love Expresso »
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2024, 01:13:59 PM »
Lots of interesting information. I am waiting for more. Thank you LE :)
Clear as the day

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2024, 02:02:33 PM »
Someone mentioned a Mojo review. Any link to that?

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2024, 02:13:58 PM »

picture in the opening post
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2024, 02:30:24 PM »

picture in the opening post

Thanks! Stupid me. :smack

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2024, 02:43:52 PM »
The author quotes a line from This Ones Not Going To End Well : " they whip up old lies to ride into power, and history comes back from hell." and relates it to Trump, fashism, fake news.

Tunnel 13 is the place in the song, where the beautiful redwood for my guitar came from." Not sure if this is really from the lyrics. The author says it comes from the "lyrics" but somehow it sounds strange to me and might be from the liner notes.

LE

Teaser from Classic Rock Magazin (https://classicrock.net/aktuelle-ausgabe-das-erwartet-euch-im-neuen-classic-rock-magazine-22/):

"Titelstory: Mark Knopfler im Interview über sein neues Album ONE DEEP RIVER und den Fluss des Lebens
Der bedächtige Brite – in einem früheren Leben Rocksuperstar bei den Dire Straits – packt aus!
Im großen Titelinterview verrät Knopfler, wo er politisch steht, was er in seiner Freizeit treibt, wieso er sich für keinen überragenden Gitarristen hält und wie er damit fertigwird, dass er bald 75 ist. Um die teils autobiografische neue Platte ONE DEEP RIVER geht’s freilich auch. Dazu kommen demnächst eine EP über die kriminelle Unterwelt und eine weltrekordverdächtige Charity-Single mit mehr als 60 Rockikonen auf einem einzigen Song."

"Title story: MK interviewed about his new album ODR and the river of life. The pensive Brit -  who, in a former life, was a rock superstar with DS - reveals it all! In the title interview Knopfler explains where he stands politically, what he does in his spare time, why he doesn't think he's a great guitarist and how he copes with the prospect of turning 75 soon. Of course, there's also his partly autobiographical new record ODR to talk about. On top of that there will shortly be an EP about the criminal underworld and a charity single with more than 60 rock icons in one single song that has every chance to become a chart-topper."

Now, that sounds interesting! I'm off to the newsagents...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2024, 03:02:56 PM »

LE

Teaser from Classic Rock Magazin (https://classicrock.net/aktuelle-ausgabe-das-erwartet-euch-im-neuen-classic-rock-magazine-22/):

"Titelstory: Mark Knopfler im Interview über sein neues Album ONE DEEP RIVER und den Fluss des Lebens
Der bedächtige Brite – in einem früheren Leben Rocksuperstar bei den Dire Straits – packt aus!
Im großen Titelinterview verrät Knopfler, wo er politisch steht, was er in seiner Freizeit treibt, wieso er sich für keinen überragenden Gitarristen hält und wie er damit fertigwird, dass er bald 75 ist. Um die teils autobiografische neue Platte ONE DEEP RIVER geht’s freilich auch. Dazu kommen demnächst eine EP über die kriminelle Unterwelt und eine weltrekordverdächtige Charity-Single mit mehr als 60 Rockikonen auf einem einzigen Song."

"Title story: MK interviewed about his new album ODR and the river of life. The pensive Brit -  who, in a former life, was a rock superstar with DS - reveals it all! In the title interview Knopfler explains where he stands politically, what he does in his spare time, why he doesn't think he's a great guitarist and how he copes with the prospect of turning 75 soon. Of course, there's also his partly autobiographical new record ODR to talk about. On top of that there will shortly be an EP about the criminal underworld and a charity single with more than 60 rock icons in one single song that has every chance to become a chart-topper."

Now, that sounds interesting! I'm off to the newsagents...
Sounds great! Any possibility of a translation or reading this online? I can speak and understand German to a certain level but it's probably not good enough to read this interview.

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2024, 03:07:25 PM »
I can translate it. I just need to get hold of the original - hope it's in the shops already.

Come to think of it... I'd be translating a text into English that is a translation from English in the first place. Decidedly weird behaviour, but I'm a fan and I'll do it anyway ;-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2024, 03:44:04 PM »
I can translate it. I just need to get hold of the original - hope it's in the shops already.

Come to think of it... I'd be translating a text into English that is a translation from English in the first place. Decidedly weird behaviour, but I'm a fan and I'll do it anyway ;-)

It would be fantastic. I'm waiting for more details. On Wednesday I will know a little more about the new album :)
Clear as the day

Offlineshortfin

• Local Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2024, 04:17:24 PM »
Review by Italian magazine Classic Rock.

Rated 75/100

Translation:
Encouraged by his soundtracks, the former leader of the Dire Straits is increasingly immersed in his passions between folk, blues and a tradition closer to American than British. The new album confirms this, with a dozen medium-slow, sometimes indolent ballads. There are a couple of exceptions it is true (Scavenger Yard, the dragging Before my Train comes) but mostly Mark's low voice caresses us over a delicate atmosphere built by a backing band led by old friend Guy Fletcher, who moves with elegant lightness. Plus, lap steel, fiddle, accordion, bagpipes and a couple of female vocals. And no fewer than nine bonus tracks in the box set that combines the CD and vinyl versions.

www.direstraitsbootlegs.it
I was there: *Dire Straits: Ferrara, 6.7.1983 *Mark Knopfler: Pesaro, 7.6.2008 / Firenze, 11.11.2011 / Piazzola sul Brenta, 12.7.2013 / Milano, 28.5.2015 / Cattolica 18.07.2019 / Verona 22.07.2019

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 38 queries.